Subject: Thinking about this... appreciate input rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi,
was going to put my question in existing similar thread, but that one has gone to "they didn't deliver the 1st KS and they are bad" discussion.

I have one "simple" question, I loved the game concept, but the core games were too easy, and when we finally found a balance that we liked, the expansions broke that again LOL

Hence I`m wondering, and knowing is actually no an easy question, what you guys think about the new gameplay/enemies? would they keep the difficulty at the level of the expansions? core? in between?

I really wish they came with some chart for balancing as heroes level up... :/

seeing the amount of content even on the low tier pledge, and remembering how much I spend on the 2 core + ?5 expansions at retail is becoming REALLY tempting; but the doubt and trouble of balancing (which sadly make the game no hit the table as much as I would like to) have me on the fence.

thanks,
hope that make sense
chang

edit grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi there Chang,

You might want to check the update where they talk of the dishonored dead. They posted their stats, and trust me, the difficulty level is definitely more on the Trederra scale rather than the base boxes one.

I would pledge the Shogun if I were in you (given you want to invest the money), as it adds a lot of good stuffs to your existing collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I think they're learning, and the enemies are getting tougher overall. Definitely check out the draft of the Dishonored Dead stats. While they're still in development, it should give an idea as to how the Frogs are thinking in regards to difficulty.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1034852783/shadows-of-b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's definitely looking like swamps and city are "easy mode" with everything else being a higher standard of difficulty.

One more reason why in "a fistfull of darkstone" I only use core enemies.

That mission is a "tutorial" and is supposed to have training wheels. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I dun goofed.
badge
I dun goofed.
mbmbmbmbmb

I think they should've kept expansions at the same difficulty level as the core sets.

If they wanted to make it harder, they shouldn't release stronger enemies, the should release updated charts for deciding which level threats to draw based on Hero Posse size and level.

The game is already random enough as it is, adding even more variance to the difficulty of different Threat cards is not good IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
If looking for balancing, this is not the game for you. With all the moving pieces of the design (more enemies, more heroes, more card pack expansions), you're going to find things that swing towards or away from the heroes advantage.

Sometimes I play a scenario and get stomped because card draws and Hold Back the Darkness rolls go against me. Other times, the scenarios end swiftly. Sometimes a hero build or posse load-out becomes a lot more attractive because of a Gear or Artifact card my friends and I found in the mines. It's part of the game design. If you're expecting it to change with Forbidden Fortress, it probably won't.

Flying Frog does have a tendency to ramp up the difficulty of their games as time goes by (I've owned FANG, ATOE, and LNOE.) The core sets tend to be on the easy side, and expansions make the game harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I play with the original core sets and some of the expansion content. We lose a fair amount of time, but we use the variant to increase enemy difficulty. That said, it isn't always the enemies that cause a loss.

Impossible to say if Forbidden Fortress is going to be easier, harder or what. You'd basically have to play it to know. Also, with so many variables in terms of what could happen, what content people are using, whether they are using any variants and so on, how could anyone truly say.

Also, what is 'too' easy or 'too' difficult? That's hard to quantify. If I feel it doesn't really matter what I do and the result is going to be the same then it is 'too' something. I prefer games where you just scrape by, horribly beat and broken, but intact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The funny thing is that now that the newer monsters are more difficult, we breathe a sigh of relief when we draw core set monsters. So overall, our gaming group has found a balance that way, especially when we are starting off a posse.

I just took a look at today's update for the original KS and thought these darkness cards are brutal, especially for a low-level posse!

You need to realize that our gaming group's favorite game is Kingdom Death Monster which is even more random and unbalanced (there are single rolls that instantly kill heroes with no grit mechanic to mitigate this). We have lost three campaigns and have yet to get beyond Lantern Year 14 (typical game goes to 20-25). So for us, anything that makes SoB harder is a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andvice wrote:
Hi there Chang,

You might want to check the update where they talk of the dishonored dead. They posted their stats, and trust me, the difficulty level is definitely more on the Trederra scale rather than the base boxes one.

I would pledge the Shogun if I were in you (given you want to invest the money), as it adds a lot of good stuffs to your existing collection.

gavindowning wrote:
I think they're learning, and the enemies are getting tougher overall. Definitely check out the draft of the Dishonored Dead stats. While they're still in development, it should give an idea as to how the Frogs are thinking in regards to difficulty.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1034852783/shadows-of-b...

thanks! both!
that enemy looks really nice!

Autoduelist wrote:
If looking for balancing, this is not the game for you. With all the moving pieces of the design (more enemies, more heroes, more card pack expansions), you're going to find things that swing towards or away from the heroes advantage.

I dont think that making a game full of random events necessary remove the balance. You can still have a game that is random and character die in one shot (that freaking mythos card in EH for example) or crazy rolls damage heavily a party..

those random are super easy to fix, if the group such desire.
The problem with this game is that the developers never though of the grown of the party. So a posse of lvl 1 get smash, lvl 2 is ok, level 3-4 and above kill everything in one hero turn.

When they introduce the expansion, this were better... with different mechanic that fight the huge amount of damage that high level pose can make (e.g. creatures that cant take more than 3 damage in one hit)

And there is where my question is directed. If this core game, is more in line with those expansions (which seem like that based on some reply) then the game can be play with random "OMG WE ARE SCREW" and "OMG WE GOT SO LUCKY! wooHOO!!" ; but without removing the challenge completely. The core game is so easy that no even super bad random can actually affect u much after level 4. (in our experience)

by you last lines, it seems that this might have being the core that I wish i had started with lol

I`m defenetly keeping a super close eye, and it seems it would be smart to go in.
KevBelisle wrote:
If they wanted to make it harder, they shouldn't release stronger enemies, the should release updated charts for deciding which level threats to draw based on Hero Posse size and level.

The game is already random enough as it is, adding even more variance to the difficulty of different Threat cards is not good IMO.

partially agree. I think that random or no, they should release a chart (so that fan dont have to make it individually for each enemy) about scaling enemies.

By now we have some that scale with defense, others with HP and elite abilities and such.
The issue is that they dont seem to have a set formula with their enemies so that they can scale them up base on pose... like they dont seem to think their enemies as a group but individually. Guess that`s hard with such a big game.

Thanks all for the replies.

bumyong wrote:
... Kingdom Death Monster which is even more random and unbalanced (there are single rolls that instantly kill heroes with no grit mechanic to mitigate this). We have lost three campaigns and have yet to get beyond Lantern Year 14 (typical game goes to 20-25). So for us, anything that makes SoB harder is a good thing.

OT but.. i`m also considering that game. I saw the gameplay video and the item / loot mechanic made me fall in love with it.

i`ll PM u about this one, hope is ok.
again random stuff are really easy to fix... unbalance, that is a whole different situation and one that should be see and fix by developers (imo)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.