8 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: draw deck / resource - theme rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anson Ng
msg tools
[may have spoilers from first scenario]

how would you imagine the draw deck thematically?

the starting hand would make sense for example if you start with an ally (e.g., they were with you in the study when the door disappeared)

but as you draw from your deck, what would you imagine is happening? search for that boost in courage? sudden spark of an idea (intellect)? how about drawing an ally or a gun? going through your bag? telephone directory?

what about the resources to pay for an event / ally?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Pure game mechanics, i wouldn't look at draw/resources thematically at all.

Regarding allies just appearing out of the blue even if you're in a locked room (or the wilderness, for Lotr), I tend to look at it that they were there all along, the camera just didn't give them spotlight time before. (Or that slacker Leo was napping in the corner)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was another suggestion to start with premade hand with equipped items and allies. All that is cool and can be used as house rule, but this can seriously hinder the balance of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
redsunzire wrote:

As someone who focuses more on the story and character than the mechanics (after many games), I find myself thinking of my deck as my character's abilities and skills and resources gained over their life time.

When I search my deck, I'm trying to remember.

When I draw cards into my hand, I've remembered someone who might help (ally), or something I have (asset), etc.

When I pay resources, I've finally found and prepared the thing (asset) or called on the person I've remembered (ally). Resources are time, effort, etc. You can only do so much.

Committing icons to tests is just recalling at the right moment or finding that inner boost.

This helps me when I build a deck to think about who my character is and what I am good at. The same investigator can be very different depending on deck build.

The luck of the draw is just what I remembered or had at hand at that moment. Some days I'm better than others. Some days allies don't answer the phone.

I understand that many players will pick cards based on percentages or adds to build the best deck mechanically to "win". I wish I had that skill and focus.

But for me, it's the story moments that I enjoy most by treating this game as very RPG-like and truly character driven.

Then no matter the outcome, I have some great story moments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redsunzire wrote:

It's a little tricky, because the concept of drawing cards and spending resources are pretty much abstract.

For example, in my last game Roland had drawn no weapon asset over the course of the game. So, why would he have trouble finding his gun? He surely has it with him and knows where it is.

This could be explained by "Well, he forgot it in the car, apparantly.", but what if he suddenly draws one a turn later? "Oh, it was in the other pocket...".

Sometimes it just doesn't make much sense.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the gun was confiscated by Local police because Roland was shooting building and cars badly toxicated by drinkin too much wishkey.
Finally several days later he get information from the police stadion that he may get his weapon back from the police station by paying the fee/tax/...
whistle

"Mr. Constable, I did WHAT?"
"Even if I did it, I don't recall that. I need my gun back... Please?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmb
I just want to know how Skids is wiring money to the hospital when he gets trapped beyond time and space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Thanee wrote:
For example, in my last game Roland had drawn no weapon asset over the course of the game. So, why would he have trouble finding his gun? He surely has it with him and knows where it is.

This could be explained by "Well, he forgot it in the car, apparantly.", but what if he suddenly draws one a turn later? "Oh, it was in the other pocket...".

Maybe it was jammed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.