6,527 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

NEXT SESSION : Wednesday November 23, 2016.
GAMES : There are usually 50-100 games to choose from.
WHERE? THE LOUNGE of the Canadian Legion Branch 351 - Centertown, 330 Kent Street (The Montgomery Legion)
WHEN? Gaming starts at 5 pm and goes until 10
COST: FREE!!
PARKING : Kent and Somerset have parking, as well as the nearest side streets which are Gilmour, Maclaren, Cooper and Lisgar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another terrific night at the Legion.

Bill and I arrived a bit early to play a two player game. This week we chose 13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis, which has been described as a shorter, lighter version of Twilight Struggle. The mechanics are pretty simple but the choices are hard as you are trying to push up your prestige while keeping your political, military and world opinion at reasonable levels. Let us just say that I am no Kennedy and, if I hadn't boiled over on my world opinion I would have lost on prestige. This was an excellent game, a little luck driven by the draw of the action cards, but fun nonetheless.

Next, we had some visitors, Greg from Calgary and Faye and Sean from the Valley. Sean was interested in trying The Voyages of Marco Polo. I explained the game and Greg, whose played it more than me, filled in any gaps. I was Mercator ex Tabriz, Faye was William of Rubruck, Sean was Berke Khan and Greg was Matteo Polo. Greg and I cashed in a couple of early contracts to take a lead. I missed travelling one turn as I was pretty cash strapped. Sean used his free use of an occupied space pretty effectively. I felt like I was falling behind on traveling so I grabbed a couple of contracts that allowed me to travel. This was crucial as it helped me get to Beijing first and collect some nice bonuses. In the last round I moved a little, gathered lots of resources and completed a contract. While I didn't earn a lot of VPs from travelling the bonuses and actions I received from those places I visited helped me get the win. Faye made great progress in the last round, pushing to Beijing and sealing second. Greg ended up a little cash poor and couldn't quite get to Beijing. Sean had an awful roll for the last round and that bogged him down a bit. Everybody enjoyed the game, I was glad to get it out and played again and Sean correctly pointed out that I should emphasize the importance of contracts at the beginning of the game which I hadn't thought of but will do so in the future. I think Sean and Faye enjoyed this game enough to buy.

Greg then pulled out his homemade copy of Deep Sea Adventure, a push your luck game that I'd been interested in playing for a while but is hard to find. In this game you are using a die roll to dive down to grab treasure along a path. Simple enough but the deeper you go, the more treasure you can grab and the more valuable it is. The problem is that the return to the surface is slowed by your treasure and with each die roll to return to the sub you are consuming an amount of the collective oxygen equivalent to the amount of treasure have. None of us made it back on the first dive. Greg made it back on the second dive (sorry Faye for consuming that last bit of oxygen) and two people made it back on the third dive. Greg took the win on this simple, fun push your luck, shake your head game.

Next, after our visitors left, I joined Ariel, Wendy and Alain for a game of Taco Takeover a quick grab game where you are trying to be the first to find all the ingredients for your taco order. I was "en fuego" and won the race to three completed tacos. Ole.

Finally, Ariel taught us Rent a Hero, a hand management, set collection game with a neat passing cards mechanism. It's a light game but it has some interesting decisions and a lot of "why did you do that to me?" moments. I enjoyed this light game quite a bit even though Ariel won . It's a nice little filler.

Other games I saw played included Ophir, Goa, Onitama and Spyrium. (Edit: how could I have forgotten that I also saw the giant cubes of Imhotep hit the table).

Have a great week. See you all next Wednesday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Devlin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a fun night. Joe did a great job explaining The Voyages of Marco Polo, Fay and I were able to play right away and we did not need much rules clarification as the game progressed. I did find the game very short, though. Agricola was my gold standard for "*@*&@, I don't have enough moves left for my brilliant plan". I think Marco Polo has replaced it. This one is definitely going in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoyed the night. Visit us whenever you are in town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Pilot
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve,

I assume OGG is still meeting tomorrow although I haven't seen your traditional invite - hope all is well.

I just got my copy of Great Western Trail by the #CantDoNoWrong Alexander Pfister. Let me know if you'd like to play a game. Head's up, the game is fairly long and will likely take 2.5hr with rule explanation and setup so people should let me know if they are interested and I can set it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James E
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pepilot wrote:
Steve,

I assume OGG is still meeting tomorrow although I haven't seen your traditional invite - hope all is well.

I just got my copy of Great Western Trail by the #CantDoNoWrong Alexander Pfister. Let me know if you'd like to play a game. Head's up, the game is fairly long and will likely take 2.5hr with rule explanation and setup so people should let me know if they are interested and I can set it up.

I'd be in for that, Pat. I just ordered my copy this morning and it does look really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pepilot wrote:
Steve,

It's on. I was just really tired after Ludo-Outaouais, so the posting was delayed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.