FAB: Golan '73» Forums » General

Subject: Balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piotr Bambot
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you not have the impression that the game balance is disturbed to the Israel side? All game, which I know, mostly ended with Israel automatic victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my impression, but I haven't really explored the game that much yet. I'd like to hear from more experienced folks - maybe playtesters - who have made the Syrians work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bambrough wrote:
Do you not have the impression that the game balance is disturbed to the Israel site? All game, which I know, mostly ended with Israel automatic victory.

I think it may be. Although I've gotten a Syrian win or two, they've been against Israeli players who were not very aggressive.

It may simply be that the Syrian side has a steeper learning curve, though. One thing I can tell you that helps the Syrians - save up your assets to the extent practical (this goes for some extent for the Israelis as well; with the possible exception of Air Support, where you want to wear down the SAMs, don't use assets just because you have them). You don't recycle them well. Also, NEVER use artillery against strongpoints. It just doesn't accomplish much even if you get a hit, which isn't that likely anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve indeed found it hard to win as the Syrians, they must strike quickly and boldly bypassing whatever needed while economizing on their losses. So in my solo play I’ve toyed with a Syrian win as either:

Syrian victory alternatives

1. A supplied unit across the Jordan at the end of any Israeli turn*.

2. Holding 4 of the 7 red and gold objectives including Nafakh and Mt Hermon at the end of Israeli turns 6 or latter.

3. Holding any 2 of the 7 red and gold objectives including Mt Hermon, and either the B’not Yakov or Arik bridges at the end of Israeli turns 4 or latter.

Logic

Win 1 - Indicates a physical and political threat to Israel’s homeland security as well as a blow to Israel’s international prestige with the Sinai still undecided. * This is the same as the game’s Automatic Victory.

Win 2 - Nafakh represents Israel’s command and control hub in the Golan and a significant forward base. Israeli occupation of Mt Hermon was as much an insult to Damascus as an intelligence threat. Adding two other objectives to this mandatory mix gives the Syrians operational freedom and keeps the Israelis off balance. Holding 4 objectives in this way, shows the Syrians as a force to be reckoned with diplomatically. If Israel focuses too heavily on protecting the north though, it risks being outflanked in the south for Win 1 or 3.

Win 3 - As with Win 2 but allowing for the bypass of Nafakh if desired to threaten the Galilee as with Win 1, hence an earlier success timing than Win 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.