1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Fun and Simple 2 player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rathma P.
Canada
flag msg tools
I've been trying to get my wife into board gaming but has been a difficult task. She's very competitive, and is into the easy games like pictionary, uno, trivia games etc. She's never heard of these designer games, and is willing to try if i find the right one. The closest i got was one game of Pandemic, she didn't admit to me but i think she likes it.

Any ideas on what games i can try to introduce to her?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork
Jaipur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Delikowski
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur - Sort of competitive, but not with direct player interaction
Patchwork - Not very competitive, more of a really good puzzle
Lost Cities - Sort of competitive, but not with direct player interaction
Small World - Lots of direct interaction since the idea is taking over territory

There are a ton of good two player options, but those are the ones that stick out, to me, for your situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Sky Tango as an easy to teach, lovely looking and somewhat addictive card game. It totally replaced Lost Cities in my household.

Apart from that, I still think Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne are by far the best gateway-games for 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Carcassonne - very easy to learn and enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schotten Totten Hanamikoji Carcassonne Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries 7 Wonders Duel Kingdomino

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rathma P.
Canada
flag msg tools
I like the suggestions, she likes card games so i think 7 Wonders Duel might work. Hear lots of good reviews on Carcassone. What you guys think of Lords of Waterdeep?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sticking with the card theme --

Morels - Surprisingly deep and competitive for a game about collecting mushrooms

Odin's Ravens (second edition) - A quick and competitive race game, easy to learn but with lots of interesting tactical card play. And really nice to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian S
Singapore
flag msg tools
I love Lords of Waterdeep even for 2 players. Its been advertised as a gateway game but somehow I feel it's too heavy for you guys since the only designer game she touched is Pandemic.

I suggest trying Patchwork and if you can get your hands on it, Le Fantôme de l'Opéra. I just acquired it and I think it's awesome. The theme of Le Fantome is so engaging right from the get go. I'm just a sucker for deduction games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rathmax wrote:
I like the suggestions, she likes card games so i think 7 Wonders Duel might work. Hear lots of good reviews on Carcassone. What you guys think of Lords of Waterdeep?

Lords of Waterdeep isn't bad, but doesn't sound like her cup of tea to me. If she is into the card games you mentioned, I think Lost Cities and Schotten Totten are your best bets. Keltis is Lost Cities for 2 to 4 players and might also be worth a look if you ever need more than 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
rathmax wrote:

Lords of Waterdeep isn't bad, but doesn't sound like her cup of tea to me. If she is into the card games you mentioned, I think Lost Cities and Schotten Totten are your best bets. Keltis is Lost Cities for 2 to 4 players and might also be worth a look if you ever need more than 2 players.

Agree with both Lost Cities and Schotten Totten.

I haven't played Keltis, but always thought Lost Cities: The Board Game was Lost Cities for 2-4 players.

[Edit: Oops.. I just read the Keltis BGG page, looks like Keltis was re-themed to Lost Cities: The Board Game.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra Fischer
Switzerland
flag msg tools
new user
Glüx
Targi
The Rose King

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I recommend the classic gateway games:

Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Splendor
Takenoko
Star Realms
Can't Stop
Patchwork

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cook
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Always Carcassonne

Recently I've been enjoying Haru Ichiban, which for all it's fancy artwork and frogs and wisemen, is essentially pimped up Connect 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
You say "easy games", but what your wife might actually like are, "games that she knows how to play" or "games that are easy to learn."

That said– try one new game at a time (as opposed to buying a pile), so that you can start to identify things she likes.

+1 for Lost Cities, it has that quick classic card game feel to it.
+1 for Patchwork, it is just so satisfying to build your own quilt, plus the patch buying decisions are interesting.
+1 for Carcassonne, like Patchwork, it is satisfying to build a world.

Splendor is a very elegant buy-em-up game. Scales to 4.

Mexica is something to look at if Patchwork goes well; you aren't filling in space, but you are dividing it up to make different shapes, which in my mind is related. Scales to 4.

Star Realms; my wife was initially resistant to the space theme, but it was a gift from a friend, so we had to play. Now she's funny because when she loses, she will still be sad if she was about to buy a cool ship she wanted. HA! She loves it.

Paperback for deck-building Scrabble. (You can try the mobile game first.)

Qwirkle for finding/making patterns.

Eventually, I think you could work toward:
Castles of Mad King Ludwig as a deeper buy-n-build game. Depending on how the other games go of course.

My wife and I were *shrug* about Ticket to Ride for 2 people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the geeklist of 50-plus 2-player games that my wife have enjoyed over the years when going out for coffee. Several are out of print, but probably available as second-hand games. They range from older games like Can't Stop, Lost Cities, and Kahuna, to more recent releases like 7 Wonders: Duel, Agricola: All Creatures Big & Small, and Patchwork.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/206691/item/4728172#item4...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Jaipur and Splendor to introduce games to my girlfriend (from a 2 player perspective).

We also like Targi and Patchwork

Lost Cities and Schotten Totten/Battle Line are also good suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glendon Morris
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
My wife is uber-competitive too and Catan is the game that opened her up to trying new and different games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride Nordic Counties is specifically for 2 people and plays really well -- I enjoyed it more than the regular TTR.

Broom Service the card game is another small box quick game.

I like Agility by Two Lanterns games, the follow up to Morels. It's very well thought out and plays like a big box game, but isn't difficult to learn. If she likes dogs, all the better!

You could try 7 Wonders Duel, which is a really good game, but might be too complex to start with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Red7 may be a possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
msg tools
mbmbmb
Kingdomino This is a quick tile laying game. My wife and I love seeing our creation at the end and how well we scored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Squires
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The situation IS getting gratch
badge
Hurdy gurdy gurdy, in the windae boxes...
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to all the great suggestions so far, my wife has enjoyed:
Times Square
Monopoly Deal Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gbmorris wrote:
My wife is uber-competitive too and Catan is the game that opened her up to trying new and different games.

That's nice. But I guess you 2 were not alone when playing Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
Agricola: All Creatures Big & Small

I would take this over Patchwork every time. Note, it greatly benefits from adding an expansion, and one of them is rather OOP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanswell
United Kingdom
Hedon
Humberside
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jaipur
7 Wonders Duel
Splendor
Patchwork
Star Realms

Would be my selection for relatively simple but great 2 player competitive games.

Id say Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is a bit more in depth but still an excellent choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.