Subject: Case 2: Initial Clues rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
We were playing case 2 the other night, and encountered something odd.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In the setup for the case, there's the guard with no blood or skin. Then they say there were no tire tracks in the mud, which means the culprit probably didn't have his own car. Perhaps he ordered a taxi? This is very odd because 1. A taxi would make tire tracks, and 2. Wouldn't a taxi take note of someone who was carrying a lot of flayed skin?

So of course my group didn't go that way, and of course when we were out of logical options, we did, and sure enough going that way led us in the right direction. I felt like we missed out on a lot of interesting parts of the case due to the timer running out, as a result of this initial logical decision.

Anyone else have this, or feel this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick McClure
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah we had kind of a similar experience:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We actually did follow the taxi lead, but one person in our group (who was not the lead investigator at the time) thought the whole thing was a red herring for the same reason that you described. Even though it turned out to give us additional clues to follow, the taxi really didn't have anything to do with the murder (unless we missed something). We just got lucky that it sent us in the right direction because of something totally unrelated to taxis.

I feel like that's happened a few times already (I've only done the first two cases). It seems like solving the cases has been more about luck than deduction, which is disappointing to me. I have to say that I really enjoy the experience of this game, and I love the story that the game tells, but at the end of both of the first two cases I didn't feel much like a detective. It's as if the game is telling me, "visit the taxi company," instead of helping me come up with that on my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.