Subject: Dark Souls in Virtual Reality? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmb
Looks very "hopeful" that Dark Souls is coming to PlayStation VR:

http://www.gamesradar.com/dark-souls-in-vr-were-hoping-says-...

I've put off buying a PS VR but if Dark Souls is getting a VR game then I'm all in. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enjoy some homing fireballs!
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How, exactly, is a third person game going to be worth playing in VR?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think that is what is exciting for this new tech. We are at the begining of the mass market application and looking at solutions through the perspective of how things have been done before is the wrong way to go about it. At the core of DS is the experience of the game and virtual reality has to try to capture that experience - I believe that is what FROM is trying to work out. I'm excited for the future of VR but we are not even close to definitively saying what can or cannot be done with the tech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would probably be smarter for FROM to try to capture the DS experience in a VR friendly format by just making a Shadow Tower 3 than to try to shoehorn DS3 into VR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Harrison
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Now I can see exactly how it looks to be killed over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Cynical wrote:
It would probably be smarter for FROM to try to capture the DS experience in a VR friendly format by just making a Shadow Tower 3 than to try to shoehorn DS3 into VR.

I disagree completely - a VR DS experience is worth trying to achieve. "Shoehorning" is proving my point in not understanding the VR capability because we are thinking within the box. I trust FROM to make the call if it can be done right or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
Yay! Now I can see exactly how it looks to be killed over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again!

Can you imagine? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strom40 wrote:
Cynical wrote:

I disagree completely - a VR DS experience is worth trying to achieve. "Shoehorning" is proving my point in not understanding the VR capability because we are thinking within the box. I trust FROM to make the call if it can be done right or not.

...Have you played the Shadow Tower games? They basically already are "Souls in first person". My point is that it would make more sense to resurrect the series that's already close to doing a "Souls VR experience" than it would to try to shoehorn a third person game into VR (no matter how much you say I'm thinking "in the box", third person is utterly antithetical to the entire purpose of VR).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
So FROM could make DS 3 game but they shouldn't because it's easier to make another VR game?

I think if they can - they should. And this article shows they are trying. Very exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because you can doesn't mean it's a good idea.

You could probably make Dark Souls 3 run through a VR headset, yes. It wouldn't be a good idea, because the mechanics of the game negate the headset's advantages. Building a first-person Souls-like and making that run through a VR headset would produce better results. And, it just so happens, FROM already has a first-person Souls-like series (arguably two, but King's Field is a bit more "western fantasy" in tone).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how this news isn't anything except exciting to fans of Dark Souls - especially considering we are one DLC from the end of the series potentially. To hear that FROM is hopeful toward a Dark Souls VR experience is simply the epitome of awesome for fans of the series, in my humble opinion. I'm confident in FROM to decide if it should or should not be done. I appreciate skepticism but let's at least appreciate the effort toward utilizing this new technology and seeing if it can work within established quality and game play mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.