$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
44.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Antoine Irisson
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Second game against the same opponent as last time. For this one, we went all techno and exchange teams. I was the Bighorns coach against the Pit Bulls. He won the toss and choose to be on offense.

First Half
With a team player on my team I decide to be a little aggressive and try to blitz. I win the first initiative, my number 42 beating his 33 and try to block one of his linemen. First roll of the game... Double 6! That's a good start! The player is knocked down and I have a full activation! I move my 68 behind the line of scrimmage so he is in a better position to threaten the QB. My opponent tries to block but it's only a partial success so I can move my 68 even closer. Next activation I also won the initiative and manage to get another free activation with a +3 block (and a natural 10 on the dice ). My 68 goes for it and tackles the QB just outside his endzone. End of first down.
When placing his team, my opponent is well aware that I'll propably go for a safety attempt and protect his QB as much as possible. I choose to try to get a safety anyway and put my team in position for it. Having good blocks, I manage again to sneak a player, my 55, behind the line of scrimmage. He is in a good position for the safety but it'll not be a +3 tackle. On the line of scrimmage, I pushed back his 44 earlier (who is his team player) so he is in a position to help his QB. But I can't let go a chance like this so I try a tackle with my 55 only at +1... And I fail miserably. My opponent capitalizes quickly on this failure to get the football out of his endzone and makes a splendid pass to one of his player who is down the field. I am forced to make an adjustement to be able to close the gap and a read & react to activate the player who is now adjacent to the ball carrier. The tackle is a success but the football is now in my half of the field. End of second down.

Start of the 3rd down

For the third down I choose to do a zone defense. With only 2 downs remaining, I'll try to contain the threat. Well... "Try" is the important word in this sentence. It seems that the Pit Bulls linemen decide to wake up on this one. They manage to create some big holes in my defense (with a little help of a magnificent fail of a +3 block attempt from me ). I move my players to threaten some of the potential receivers but alas, one of my own block went terribly wrong... The Pit Bulls QB takes avantage of this failed attempt to move and throws a perfectly aimed pass to an unmarked receiver who runs straight to the endzone. Touchdown Pit Bulls!

Pit Bulls 7 - Bighorns 0

I am now on offense and there is only 2 cubes remaining in this half. Since I'm "in control" of the time, I choose to keep my timeouts and plan to throw a pass or run out of bounds to only add one time cube and see if it makes sense to use my timeouts after this play. I place my offensive formation with my 55 with stiff arm for QB and my number 7 with juke on the left. As always, my 33 team player is on the line of scrimmage to support his buddies as best he can. Just after the snap, my opponent succeeds on a block but just partially. I move my QB to the left toward my number 7. On the second activation, he moves again to handover the football and tries to block the 55 from the opposing team with the help of my 33. I pull one card of the bench to get a nice +3 and it's a total success! With the full activation, I rush my number 7 down the field as he is up for my two next activations. When he sees that my number 7 is up, my opponent does a read & react to pull his 78 from the bench to catch up with my number 7. I loose the initiative so he manages to threaten my ball carrier. I move out of his tackle zone and continue my route to the endzone. On the second activation, my opponent can't read & react with his 78 because his second card is in his play deck so my number 7 runs straight to the endzone. Touchdown Bighorns and it's the end of the half.

Pit Bulls 7 - Bighorns 7

Second Half
I'm on offense again and do the same formation as before except my number 7 is on the right this time. The first block attempted by the defense is a failure. As I was planning to get a free full activation to do a +3 pass, I immediately throw the ball to my number 7 with this full activation. As I don't want to give a half move to my opponent, I choose to do nothing for my first activation. Number 7 is now up for two rounds. On the first, he runs down the field like a mad man. My opponent tries to get a free full activation of his own but the block is only a partial success so the ball carrier continues to move forward. He is now out of reach of anyone and scores a touchdown on his next activation.

Pit Bulls 7 - Bighorns 14

The Pit Bulls are now on offense and the first down is quite like the first one of the game. After some fails from the offense and some nice successes from the defense (I clearly had the dice on my side for this game ), it ends with a QB sack just in front of the endzone.

For the second down, the Pit Bulls are in a bad spot and the safety is again a possibility for me.

But hey, you know, you can't always win. After some amazing plays by the offense the QB escapes and gets tackled outside the endzone. As we are approaching the end of the game, my opponent use a timeout to be able to play all his downs before the end of regulation. On the third down, the Pit Bulls manage to sneak someone past my defense and throw a pass to the receiver who stands at the 50 yards line in his half. I bring him down quickly. 4th and last down for the Pit Bulls. I use both my timeouts to have time to relaunch an offense if my opponent scores. I decide to play a zone defense again but this time it holds! This 4th down is not enough and the 66 ball carrier is surrounded and have nowhere to go. My 33 tackles him which ends the Pit Bulls posession.

As it was getting late, we choose not to play the 2 remaining downs. With what happened last time we played, I would have probably run the ball carrier out of bounds as soon as possible for both downs anyway.

Final score : Pit Bulls 7 - Bighorns 14.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report!

Quote:
Second Half
I'm on offense again and do the same formation as before except my number 7 is on the right this time. The first block attempted by the defense is a failure. As I was planning to get a free full activation to do a +3 pass, I immediately throw the ball to my number 7 with this full activation. As I don't want to give a half move to my opponent, I choose to do nothing for my first activation. Number 7 is now up for two rounds.

I love that you made the choice to do nothing in that situation.! I was the perfect call and a really smart read. There are lots of times where it's better to hold your position and do nothing at all, but it's tough for some coaches as they feel like they 'have to do something'. Well played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.