Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Schott
Germany
Langenzenn
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me first say that this is one of my most favorite games, and I have played it quite a numerous of times
There is just one thing, that bugs me:

In many haunts, the character/miniature of the traitor is largely irrelevant.
There is an important monster summoned, something hidden in the house and whatnot.
The heroes cannot accomplish anything by killing the traitor, and the only thing the traitor figure can do is killing off the characters thereby preventing them from doing something.

Somehow, this is not a good story. The traitor can still win being dead (while not being undead in the most cases zombie ), which is somehow strange, and the heroes just ignore him in the most ways that they can.

While I understand this from a mechanical point of view - preventing a gang up on the traitor in each and every haunt - it is still not fullfilling.

What do you think?

(I hope you get what I mean. PLease excuse bad English)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The traitor is part of the House. Killing the physical form of the traitor may or may not stop the evil that is the House.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Langenzenn
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
so you think that the traitor player now plays the house rather than the traitor? That's one way to see it, I guess. Good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pethulhu wrote:
so you think that the traitor player now plays the house rather than the traitor? That's one way to see it, I guess. Good idea.

Exactly that. Obviously it depends on the individual haunt, but what motivates the traitor and who you as the player represent (be it your traitor piece or some other evil) can change for each game. I've won games of this that thematically didn't really sound like winning from the story, but that just made it more interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Grand Island
New York
flag msg tools
mb
The heroes can win if one or more of the heroes die too. The traitor no longer only plays their character. They play the monsters as well. so even if their character dies, they can still win.

The same goes for the heroes. One of them can die and the rest can beat the monsters and win. It makes it more fair. Otherwise heroes would just ignore the monsters/haunts/what ev and just go kill the character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.