United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Gotta go slow, gotta go fast, gotta swing low when I walk past..."
badge
Turtle Cat (2/26/16) by Rachel Kremer of semicoop.com
mbmbmbmbmb
So by this logic, I can undersell someone else's merchant, but because it's not a matching one, I can't undersell a bureaucrat or smuggler with a merchant, correct? Conversely, because of 5.3.4's sentence of "Smugglers may undersell enterprises in those zones" I'm assuming they can undersell enterprises, but not bureaucrats (which are not defined as enterprises in 2.x like the player chits are). No such sentence is explicit in 5.3.2 so am I to assume that (based on 5.2.4 which it says to reference and that says of the same type) that bureaucrats can only undersell other bureaucrats? Historically that would make some sense to me.

Thus, is the following true:
- player chits (enterprises) can undersell other player enterprises
- bureaucrats can undersell other bureaucrats
- smugglers can undersell other smugglers *and* other player enterprises.

Anything missing and if so, where did I miss it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clark
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the printed rules in front of me, but the pdf I have at work doesn't say "matching" enterprise. 5.2.4 reads "Replace any enterprise in play with one from your holdings."

I've been playing such that smugglers, bureaucrats, and merchants can all undersell each other provided they follow reduced price/placement rules. This could be wrong of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Copy/pasting from the PDF found here:

PDF from 10/21 wrote:

5.2.4 Underselling. Underselling allows you to place
your enterprise in a zone that is already
occupied. Replace any enterprise in play with a
matching one from your holdings.
The price of
the enterprise must be set lower than the zone’s
previous enterprise. The replaced enterprise
should be returned to its owner’s holdings. If
the enterprise is placed in a completed supply
chain, then the player losing the counter should
pay revenue equal to the price of the replaced
enterprise. The player placing the new tile gains
revenue as indicated by the price on the counter
he placed. Reminder: the Industry Leader (5.1.2)
cannot be undersold.

bold is me, italics is in the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wasserman
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Cole has said that bureaucrats can undersell same as smugglers: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24030073#24030073

I'm not sure about merchants underselling smugglers and bureaucrats, given the "matching" term used in 5.2.4. I would have thought that any enterprise (i.e., a token with a price) could be placed in any otherwise legal spot if it undersold the incumbent, but the "matching" requirement seems to suggest otherwise, at least for player enterprises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfwesq wrote:
Cole has said that bureaucrats can undersell same as smugglers: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24030073#24030073

Good catch on the earlier bit, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the intent from
Quote:
Any counter with a price is an "enterprise." As such Smugglers can undersell other smugglers, or bureaucrats, or merchants.

is clear -- all enterprise can undercut all enterprises.

The "matching" line is probably a mistake or artifact from previous rules considering enterprises placed on non-land spaces are, by definition, matching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:
I think the intent from
Quote:
Any counter with a price is an "enterprise." As such Smugglers can undersell other smugglers, or bureaucrats, or merchants.

is clear -- all enterprise can undercut all enterprises.

I obviously missed that (not the first time), what number is that defined on?

golden_cow2 wrote:

The "matching" line is probably a mistake or artifact from previous rules considering enterprises placed on non-land spaces are, by definition, matching.

It's a new addition in the 10/21 rulebook that wasn't in the first edition. I went back and looked after Matt commented about it. Now, that could have been added by mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a quote from the same linked thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.