Subject: What are your Thanksgiving meal essentials? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect to see turkey score big, but what else do you serve with it, or it "wouldn't be Thanksgiving"?

For me, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and gravy are essential.
I'm not so picky about the vegetables- yes I want some, yes I prefer some over others, but they are just fillers really.
I also insist on pumpkin pie for dessert. If you also bring a pecan pie, or lemon merangue, or chocolate something or other, all the better, but there must be pumpkin pie, or it isn't Thanksgiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
What makes Thanksgiving Dinner into a tradition?
  Absolutely essential Pretty darned essential I like it but I'm not broken up if it isn't there Meh-- Take it or leave it Don't like it, but others in the family do Don't even think about serving that! Never tried- I'll reserve judgement Other?
Roasted Turkey
Deep-fried Turkey
Smoked Turkey
Ham
Pork Roast
Roast Beef
Fish/ Seafood
Other meat/ main protein
Stuffing
Yorkshire Pudding
Corn Bread
Buns (or any other bread/ roll)
Gravy
Cranberry Sauce
Pickles
Devilled Eggs
Roasted Potatoes
Mashed Potatoes
"Prepared" Potatoes (any cassarole style)
Mashed or whole Sweet Potatoes/ Yams
"Prepared" Sweet Potatoes (any cassarole style)
Mac & Cheese
Other Pasta (hot/ cold/ casarole)
Peas
Carrots
Corn
Green Beans
Asparagus
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Squash (any variety)
Collard Greens/ Spinach
Other vegetable
Salad (lettuce or other fresh greens)
Fruit/ Fruit Salad
Gelatin "Salad"
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie
Cherry Pie
Pecan Pie
Other fruit pie (including lemon or banana)
Chocolate pie
Some other pie
Some kind of Cake/ Cheesecake
Some kind of Dessert Square
Some type of Cookie
Ice Cream
Whipped Cream
Custard
      46 answers
Poll created by MABBY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stuffing. It's not Thanksgiving without a good stuffing. And pumpkin pie, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wine. There must be wine served at Thanksgiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Wine. There must be wine served at Thanksgiving.

I thought about doing that, but the line-up was too enormous already.

Poll
Wine at Thanksgiving?
  Essential I don't drink it but others do I'd probably try some if it were there No place for it at our table Other?
Red Wine
White Wine
Rose
Sparkling Wine
Sweet (dessert) Wine/ Ice Wine
Port
Sherry
Whisky/ Whiskey/ Bourbon
Other cocktail
Beer
Soft Drinks
Milk
Water
      21 answers
Poll created by MABBY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
For the first time in 108 years, the Cubs are world champions! Incredible game 7 victory over a valiant Cleveland team.
mbmbmbmbmb
My Thanksgiving requirements are few. A roasted, fresh (never frozen) turkey, stuffing not cooked in the bird (we're quite happy with Stovetop Stuffing--yeah, we're cretins), and jellied cranberry sauce (man, we really are cretins!). Potatoes are fine, corn is fine, rolls are fine, but none are essential. I don't like gravy on anything, so I never use it on Turkey Day. Green bean casserole? Just when did that crap get associated with my favorite eating day of the year???

My favorite parts of the turkey are the tail, the thighs, and the wings. I usually eat enough bird and stuffing that desert isn't a requirement, but assuming that one is served, my favorite would be warmed pecan pie with vanilla ice cream on top. Cool Whip is an acceptable substitute. A good custard pie is also yummy. I hate pumpkin, so no pumpkin pie for this boy. This year, my wife is making a no sugar trifle. It's pretty good and is a good dish for members of the family trying to avoid moving closer to diabetes.

I can't drink alcohol, so no booze for moi. There is occasionally some wine drunk during the meal, but most of us drink water (I always do), milk, or soda.

Favorite leftover meal? My grandfather used to make a killer turkey salad. We have the recipe, but I lack the patience to dice up all the veggies needed to make it. Too bad, it's awesome. Regular turkey sandwiches is still a fine substitute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmbmb
My one and only requirement is green bean casserole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of the foods that we consider "traditional" for Thanksgiving dinner weren't there for the original Thanksgiving at all. For example, the pilgrims didn't have turkey, because it was too expensive; instead, they had lumps of spam molded to resemble a turkey. Squanto showed them how to build a scaffold of sticks that the spam could be pressed against to form a serviceable turkey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
A lot of the foods that we consider "traditional" for Thanksgiving dinner weren't there for the original Thanksgiving at all. For example, the pilgrims didn't have turkey, because it was too expensive; instead, they had lumps of spam molded to resemble a turkey. Squanto showed them how to build a scaffold of sticks that the spam could be pressed against to form a serviceable turkey.

This is true, I read about it on the internet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
For the first time in 108 years, the Cubs are world champions! Incredible game 7 victory over a valiant Cleveland team.
mbmbmbmbmb
sunkencheerio wrote:

So Debbie, have you been eating that on Thanksgiving your whole life? I grew up in the Northeast and never even heard of the dish. It wasn't until I moved to Virginia in the early 80's that I became aware of this strange concoction. I don't know if it was more of a Southern thing or if it's just grown in popularity over time, no doubt fueled by the massive French Fried Onion Ring lobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
sunkencheerio wrote:

So Debbie, have you been eating that on Thanksgiving your whole life? I grew up in the Northeast and never even heard of the dish. It wasn't until I moved to Virginia in the early 80's that I became aware of this strange concoction. I don't know if it was more of a Southern thing or if it's just grown in popularity over time, no doubt fueled by the massive French Fried Onion Ring lobby.

I grew up with it in Iowa. Perhaps you just lived a very sheltered life, Larry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
sunkencheerio wrote:

Yep, they've served that at our family gatherings my whole life. I'd also like to note that Thanksgiving and sometimes Christmas are the only times it's ever made even though it's ridiculously easy to make and delicious.

This comment was my own and not inspired at all by the French Fried Onion Lobby. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
GRAVY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
GRAVY!

GRAVY BOAT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused by the fact that this thread was started by a Canadian? Or does the flag not represent where Mabby is originally from? I guess I've never paid attention, what are the roots of Mabby?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
sunkencheerio wrote:

I grew up with it in Iowa. Perhaps you just lived a very sheltered life, Larry!

Nope, I'm just old. Wikipedia says the casserole was invented in 1955 (a year before I was born) by a chef at Campbell's Soup to use "two things most Americans always had on hand in the 1950s: green beans and Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup." Presumably it took some time to become an established Thanksgiving tradition.

Indeed, another article I read confirmed that the recipe wasn't an instant hit. Yet another referred to it as a "classic Midwestern casserole" and that a researcher who moved to Ohio from the South in 1985 became aware of the dish for the first time. So it makes sense that you would have known of the side dish longer than I did, Lenny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
I'm confused by the fact that this thread was started by a Canadian? Or does the flag not represent where Mabby is originally from? I guess I've never paid attention, what are the roots of Mabby?

You know that they have Thanksgiving in Canada too, right? Although it has already passed this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
We always had turnips, either mashed or cubed, when my mother was alive. She grew up eating lots of root veggies. I love them. She also did a wonderful garnish plate with pickles, olives and crudite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
SybotCB wrote:

You know that they have Thanksgiving in Canada too, right? Although it has already passed this year.

I was aware there was a Canadian thanksgiving in October, but I don't know much about it and didn't know if there was a traditional meal involved, and it was the same type of meal as was typically consumed here in the states.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
thermogimp wrote:
SybotCB wrote:

I was aware there was a Canadian thanksgiving in October, but I don't know much about it and didn't know if there was a traditional meal involved, and it was the same type of meal as was typically consumed here in the states.

It's the very same meal, a month earlier, but no one here is eating corn bread or collard greens with it. Pecans are very scarce as well.
We've had green bean cassarole around for decades, but I've never had a good one so I vote no on that.
Where I am, we have lots of Eastern European immigrants and typical root veggies about, so turnips and beets (and carrots) are quite often present on the table. I like both (and carrots). I've even had perogies at Thanksgiving.
Sweet potatoes have gained popularity in the past few years, as have squashes. Often they are roasted and then combined with too much sugar and marshmallows. Personaly I think that sweet potatoes are darned sweet on their own and don't need more sugar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of stuff on that list that I really like (roast beef & yorkshire pudding for one), but aren't essential to Thanksgiving...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
Lost in thought.
mbmbmb
I was very surprised when I married to find my in-laws didn't even think of serving gravy and mashed potatoes with Thanksgiving supper. Now I fix that just for myself to eat along with the turkey and dressing. More for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Bordeaux
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The absolute minimum essentials for our Thanksgiving include some form of turkey (preferably deep-fried), stuffing, a honey baked ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole (the kind with marshmallows on top), yeast rolls, baked mac and cheese, and both pumpkin pie and pecan pie with whipped cream and vanilla ice cream respectively.

Possible others include apple pie, any other dessert really, corn, peas, salad, pasta salad, asparagus, corn bread, cranberry sauce, deviled eggs, stuffed mushrooms, ham dip, a vegetable platter, and collard greens.

Everybody drinks Sweet Tea aside from one aunt that only drinks Diet Mountain Dew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
We always have the traditional turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, etc., and pies for dessert. The one fairly unique thing we have is soup made with escarole, raviolis and tiny turkey meatballs. My mother serves that around noon and we have the main meal anytime between 2:00 and 4:00.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.