Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game that scales well from 2-4 people! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brittany Anderson
msg tools
Looking for another great board game recommendation that players very well with 2 people, but can scale to 4 (or more), since 90% of the time it's just my husband and I playing.

These are the games we currently have:

-king of Tokyo
-dominion intrigue
-five tribes
-settlers of catan
-tiny epic galaxies
-mysterium
-power grid
-love letter
-citadels
-keyflower
-carcassone
-pandemic
-lost cities
-hanabi
-Avalon resistance

Since we have a lot of worker placement games and games like dominion something different would be nice. We recently played Dragoons and that was a lot of fun, but heard it wouldn't be as great with 2 people and it would be too difficult for family game time, since it's pretty involved. Smaller footprint games would be great too!!

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Lafiguera
msg tools
new user
How about these:
Glüx (works very well for 2 Players, but also for 3 or 4 players)
7 Wonders
Istanbul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Royals
Ascension
Lords of Waterdeep
New York 1901
Port Royal
Small World
Ticket To Ride
Paperback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lena Mangoldt
Germany
flag msg tools
new user
PietroLa wrote:
How about these:
7 Wonders
Istanbul

I don't know 7 Wonders, but I can defenitely support Istanbul and Glüx. And what about Alhambra ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
msg tools
mbmbmb
Imhotep
This plays well with 2 but better with more.

Kingdomino
Great filler that plays well on all player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Castles Of Mad King Ludwig is the game you are looking for.

- It is best at 4, but plays very well at both 3 and 2.

- It is medium-light like most games you already have, but definitely has some meat to it.

- Has lots of replay value.

- Is just downright fun. Even if you lose you have still built a crazy castle.

This game is now my "gateway" game of choice. It is a bit more complex than Ticket To Ride/Carcassonne/Settlers Of Catan, but it plays really intuitively and is more fun than any of those games, IMO. I have had a ton of success introducing new players to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirty Chicken
msg tools
+1 for Ticket to Ride, once you get comfortable you can play the base game where you both can't take double routes to make it harder, I suggest getting the 1910 expansion as well.

Also check out Glass Road, has minor card play differences for
2 to 3 or 4 players. One of my favorite games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some games that my girlfriend and I enjoy, fit your requirements, and are a bit "different":

Blokus (We use the Blokus Duo rules with the regular board when it's just the two of us playing)

FUSE

Splendor

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal L
Switzerland
Attalens
FR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Builder
Suburbia
Agricola
Abyss
Bruges
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Chov
China
BEIJING
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are the same... we mostly play as a couple and then play on the weekends with friends. So my (Linda of trevorandlinda) suggestions off the top of my head are:

The Voyages of Marco Polo - a really nice game of collecting resources, traveling, and rolling dice

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game - this is a great co-op game based on the films, plays well with two (we'd play 2 people each to make it a bit harder) or four

Alchemists - a great deduction game but a bit more complex, better if you can play it a few times to get the hang of it

Lewis & Clark - a nice racing game with a unique card mechanic

Mexica - one of my new favorites, an abstract game that makes you all hot and sweaty from all that hard thinking

Mombasa - a controversial theme but a great game of stock and making the most money

Suburbia - a light classic city-building game

Viticulture - a pleasant worker-placement game that leaves even the losers feel like they succeeded in making and completing wine orders

Ok, I'll leave you with 8 recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra Fischer
Switzerland
flag msg tools
new user
PietroLa wrote:
How about these:
7 Wonders
Istanbul

Those three seem to be a pretty perfect selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balaji Iyengar
United States
New York
flag msg tools
If you are looking for games similar to Dominion, I'd suggest Marvel's Legendary. It's awesome! Plays well with 2 players and scales upto 5 very, very well! The community here is huge and the game also looks to be a big hit!

Another game which I'd highly recommend is Dungeon! The first base board game by Wizards of coast.

I dunno if you'd like Stratego, but they have come up with a new 2-4 player game called Stratego Conquest I haven't played it, but it's just base stratego on a board which accommodates 4. So I imagine it has the potential to be awesome.

Note that the base 7 Wonders game is for 3+ players. But, you bend the rules to create a 2-player variant of the base game.

Still if you'd like more suggestions, look up this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mStke7lUY8E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
The Big Book of Madness (magic themed co-op deckbuilder) & Oceanos (very beautiful low conflict competition for victory points) are both 2-5 player games and scale very well. Player count doesn't really affect playtime either, which is always a great concern for me when playing with more than two players - some games just take so long with 3+ players. :/

They're both very fun as well. :>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Adorno
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my faves are

Legends of Andor - Awesome cooperative experience, especially if you're a fan of fantasy, LOTR, etc. The game can be tough and If you don't mind using two heroes each in two-player, it will considerably lower the difficulty. The game is also completely winnable using only a single hero each in two player.

Among the Stars - There's an awesome two-player variant on bgg(which they integrated now in the rules of the Ambassadors expansion) which makes two-player much more viable. Another that scales well

Covert Definitely best with 2 and 3 players, can be a bit on the long side with 4, but I think it can still fit the bill here.

Imperial Settlers Another that is best with 2 and 3 players, with 4 players adding more time to the game.

Shadowrun: Crossfire - A very challenging, but fun two player game. that gets marginally easier the more players are added. Of course you can control 2 heroes in your two player only sessions to mitigate the difficulty

Roll for the Galaxy - Scales very well at all player counts(2-5) and is a great game. I'll give a nod to Race for the Galaxy, but I favor Roll, since it's easier to learn

Elysium - Has two player variant rules, which works great, and scales really well with all player counts.

Madame Ching - This game usually fly's under the radar, but it actually is a solid medium-light game. Scales very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concordia

+1 for Glass Road

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.