Subject: Locked out of victory? (**SPOILERS**) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Asylum, I'm wondering if it's possible to get "stuck" where it would be impossible to proceed.

The doctor's office becomes closed after a certain point, I think if you choose to follow the doctor to the secret passage. What if you did this without ever having looked at or taken notes on the photograph in his office, while on your third run? The photograph tells you the order of the 5 symbols that you need to place the keys in the right order.

Is there another separate hint about the order of the 5 keys? Would it be at all possible to solve the puzzle if you can't go back to the doctor's office, and you never looked at or remembered the order of the symbols? If it's the third run you'll never reset again, so no way to look at that picture ever again within the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is a hint on painting in the first room,

There are also more subtle hints in various letters scattered around.

Also you can use trial and error method and after some time you will probably get the right order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not impossible without, but if you can't make it, you'll simply fail that run, and when you start over that location is again available. (there's no blue icon on that particular new map piece that closes the office yet leaves the secret passage open)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot to mention that I was talking specifically about when you are on the third run, I'll update accordingly. In that case you can't ever reset again. And I don't think the first painting has any clues about the order of the keys, only clues to how to read them and how to calculate the number.

As for trial and error; there's 120 different possible orderings of the keys...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... and only one that actually makes sense ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We figured it out without remembering the photo. It seemed pretty clear with the directions on the painting ("start in SE then clockwise" or so). So, it is possible but includes some trial and error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.