Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or the enemy cards are weird with all that plain space above the picture and a claustrophobic strip at the bottom with even narrower center to hold the picture of the Enemy? I am not sure i like it, does this composition have any purpose game-wise?
I really like the rest of the designs though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Enemy cards are weird.
It's supposed to put the enemy more "in your face."

I have found this to be true. I guess it's the old Magic player in me but not only are they physically closer to me it's also sort of unsettling because of the different layout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a topic of conversation early when we got the first spoiled card art that it was a strange choice. I wasn't sold on it originally, but now that I've been playing for a while I actually like it a lot. As Milo stated it puts the enemy right in your face and it also sets the monster cards completely apart from all the other cards so they stick out as very immediate threats on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeeshkul wrote:
a claustrophobic strip at the bottom with even narrower center to hold the picture of the Enemy

You just explained the reason very succinctly. It's designed to be unsettling - a perfect fit for Arkham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wallace-Moyer
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Depending how far you are in the campaign as well, some of the more "boss" style monsters have a lot more text, so the text box is actually quite well used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeeshkul wrote:
Is it just me or the enemy cards are weird with all that plain space above the picture and a claustrophobic strip at the bottom with even narrower center to hold the picture of the Enemy? I am not sure i like it, does this composition have any purpose game-wise?
I really like the rest of the designs though.

Agreed. I'd rather see more of the enemy art than more of an empty text box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bowling
msg tools
I constantly draw the enemy cards then turn them upside then rightside up cuz Im so thrown off by the art being at the bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redd

San Diego
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Yellow Meeple wrote:
I constantly draw the enemy cards then turn them upside then rightside up cuz Im so thrown off by the art being at the bottom.

I kept doing that too...also turning them the wrong way when refreshing them so they'd end up being upside down. Hadn't thought about why I did it before but kept doing it multiple times. Well, now I guess I have a rational reason. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Having the Enemy picture at the bottom of the card is all right. Giving it a little and distorted space, so it often misses a part of his head is silly. Such a composition does not really bring anything to the game apart from a feeling of wasted opportunity. I hope those will grow up on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If those enemy cards drives you nuts, They Are filling their purpose!

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
The Yellow Meeple wrote:
I constantly draw the enemy cards then turn them upside then rightside up
USB enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love them.

They're unnerving, in your face, and just brilliant.

If this game doesn't get some kind of award for graphic design, there is something very wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.