Subject: Timeline: General Interest – A Dave Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
End The Turn Podcast
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
new user
mb
So what is Timeline: General Interest then?

Well it’s a guessing game where you have to work out when things happened in history.

Ok… so it’s kinda like Trivial Pursuit?

Not quite, every card has a year on it and you have to work out whether the event on the card you have happened before, after or in the same year as the cards already on the table.

Right, so you need to be good at history to play this then?

Nope. It’s as much an educational game as it is a quiz as it is a guessing game.

So Timeline is a range of card games by Asmodee. I own the General Interest edition which is listed as Diversity on the Asmodee website.

General info –

2-8 Player competitive sort of general knowledge card game.
Age range is 8+ and I’d probably say that was spot on. It’s not “just for kids” though as I think the age bracket for this spans multiple generations.
Duration 15+ mins and that’s usually about right. With more than 4 players though it is probably nearer the 30 minute mark.

So the game is pretty simple and quite elegant in how it plays.

Each player gets 4 cards and each card has a specific moment in history on it. On 1 side it just has the description of the event and on the other it has the year in which occurred.

The game starts with 1 card year side up and each player takes it in turns to declare (confidently or otherwise!) whether one of their cards happened before, after or in some rare occasions in the same year as the card on the timeline.

As you build the time line the timeline starts to act as a guide to how you determine where to place your cards.

If you guess correctly your card joins the timeline
If you guess incorrectly your card goes into the discard pile and you draw a replacement card.
First player to be unable to play a card wins.
As someone who is not a history buff or indeed a general knowledge quizmaster the game is quite challenging at times to work out when things happened. It’s not a frustrating experience though which I think other quiz / general knowledge games can be.

The greatest benefit I find with Timeline: General Interest is that it can be played across the generations but is more than a simple family game as it also appeals to the gamer in me. Having played it with my family as well as my regular gaming groups it’s always gone down well.

Even when being played in larger groups it doesn’t suffer from downtime to any real extent as everyone tends to be watching to see where the card lands in the Timeline (successfully or otherwise!) if only to present a potential clue to their own cards.

It also doesn’t seem to suffer from “year counting” as it were. Even though I’ve played it many times the 110 cards in the box give you plenty of variety to keep you on your toes!

Asmodee have brought out a variety of different editions of Timeline including one focused on Cinema, a board game edition and the obligatory Star Wars versions too!

Conclusion – Timeline: General Interest is a fantastically light all-ages game that can be used as an icebreaker, a filler or as a go to game for some lighthearted fun.

This review originally appeared on the End The Turn Podcast website - http://www.endtheturn.co.uk/2016/11/10/timeline-general-inte...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.