Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Some Questions from "The Devourer Below" (Spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Burns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, we got hammered by the third scenario last night, and I've got some questions that contain spoilers:

Agenda 2b:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
"Each investigator who fails must search the collection for a random basic Madness weakness and add it to his or her hand"

If you fail the test, what happens? What collection am I searching, and when it says "add it to his or her hand", as basic Madnesses are all Revelations, doesn't that mean it resolves immediately?

Act 1b:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I presume that you can't Parley with the cultists who appear on the main path?

Is it just me, or is the last scenario a bit hard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
I have yet to beat this scenario so I agree it is hard.

This is my understanding on your questions:

1. You search the basic weakness cards that you are not currently using and select a random weakness from one of those. It then goes to your hand, and you play the revelation effect and follow instructions just like you had drawn it from your deck.

2. I was told that you CAN still parlay with the cultists. The text on their card is still valid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
1. You resolve the Revelation ability immediately.
http://arkhamdb.com/rules#Collection
http://arkhamdb.com/rules#Revelation

2. Nothing prevents you from using their Parlay while at the Main Path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Rules Reference:

Quote:
Collection
If an ability refers to a player’s collection (for example,
“search the collection”), the collection of cards from
which that player’s deck was assembled is used.

Example: Sean and Etienne are each using a deck built
from Sean’s collection. If Etienne is instructed to “search
the collection,” he searches Sean’s collection.

And second bullet under Revelation:

Quote:
When a weakness card enters an investigator’s hand,
that investigator must immediately resolve all revelation
abilities on the card as if it were just drawn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bowling
msg tools
The Devourer Below is this box's Escape from Dol Goldur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
You can win (or finish) this scenario several different ways. Certain ways are harder (or easier) depending on which investigator(s) you are playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I confess that I don't feel 100% certain that I've been handling 'encounter-type' (so, not skill-, asset-, event-type) weakness cards correctly.

Two situations:

Situation 1: my basic weakness that I have from the start of the campaign -
-Let's say it is paranoia (discard all resources). I have been playing this such that I draw it from my hand during regular play, it doesn't technically enter my hand, rather it floats around in some 'activate revelation effect' space. I chuck away all my resources (and I would then add one resource if I drew into this during Upkeep), then I put the Paranoia card into my discard. Does it go into my discard after I've triggered the Revelation effect, or into my hand, clogging it up? Since we're instructed to resolve it like a card drawn from the encounter deck, I have been discarding it (to my own discard, to clarify).
- Let's say it is Amnesia (discard all your cards except one). I have been playing this such that I draw into it during regular play, it then hovers around in the 'apply Revelation effect' zone (not in my hand) and I discard all cards but one that I currently have in my hand (not considering the Amnesia card). I then put Amnesia into my discard for the reasons mentioned above. Correct?

Situation 2: As part of resolving Scenario 3's Agenda 2b effect (in the opening post), I draw into Amnesia (discard all but one card in your hand). I know that I am supposed to a) add Amnesia to my hand but also b) treat it as if I had just drawn it. I have been playing this such that Amnesia is *not* in my hand when considering which cards to discard and which to keep (the card at that point is in the mysterious 'apply Revelation effect' zone). I then place Amnesia into my discard. Correct, or in this situation should I be considering the Amnesia effects such that Amnesia *is* in my hand at the point of applying its Revelation? And does it subsequently enter my discard as a card 'played like an encounter card'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bowling
msg tools
I think you discard after resolving the revelation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
Unless they say otherwise, Weaknesses (like Amnesia) are drawn into your hand like normal, their Revelation text goes off, and then they are discarded. Some (Cover Up, for instance) might tell you to put them into your threat zone.

But, otherwise, in hand, resolve them, discard them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's not confuse the situation by making up rules that happen that just happen to fit the situation. There is no rule that says weaknesses are discarded after resolving their revelation. The rule is that Treachery cards are discarded after their revelation.

If the card isn't a Treachery, don't discard it after the Revelation. Whether it is a weakness or not is irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Let's not confuse the situation by making up rules that happen that just happen to fit the situation. There is no rule that says weaknesses are discarded after resolving their revelation. The rule is that Treachery cards are discarded after their revelation.

If the card isn't a Treachery, don't discard it after the Revelation. Whether it is a weakness or not is irrelevant.

Great, thank you! This specific nook/cranny of the Rules Ref is the foothold that I was flailing around for with that issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Noaloha wrote:
Situation 1: my basic weakness that I have from the start of the campaign -
-Let's say it is paranoia (discard all resources). I have been playing this such that I draw it from my hand during regular play, it doesn't technically enter my hand, rather it floats around in some 'activate revelation effect' space. I chuck away all my resources (and I would then add one resource if I drew into this during Upkeep), then I put the Paranoia card into my discard. Does it go into my discard after I've triggered the Revelation effect, or into my hand, clogging it up? Since we're instructed to resolve it like a card drawn from the encounter deck, I have been discarding it (to my own discard, to clarify).
- Let's say it is Amnesia (discard all your cards except one). I have been playing this such that I draw into it during regular play, it then hovers around in the 'apply Revelation effect' zone (not in my hand) and I discard all cards but one that I currently have in my hand (not considering the Amnesia card). I then put Amnesia into my discard for the reasons mentioned above. Correct?

This is essentially correct. Amnesia is not considered to be in your hand when you resolve its effect (otherwise, it would just read "discard your hand," since you're forced to choose a Weakness if possible). This should apply to Devourer Below as well: Resolving the Revelation effect is a natural part of the "adding to hand" process, so it takes place before Amnesia is considered to be completely in your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.