Hide
12 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: core game without expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
juan b
msg tools
opinion please .......are the expansion essential .....or the core game is enough thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Not at all.

I have every expansion and I haven't added them to my core campaign. I've played with them here and there, just to get the feel and understand what they add.

I've made a point of playing vanilla campaign through multiple times before bothering with adding them in and I can honestly say I don't feel the "need" to add more to the game.

- Don't get me wrong, as with any game, more of a good thing, is still a good thing, but I definitely don't think you NEED them or they are "essential" in any way.

After you sink over a hundred hours into the main game, you may want to pick up a "campaign" expansion like sunstalker or dragon king, but, at that point you're kind of in the thick of it.

Seeing as the main campaign takes an intense amount of time to complete(took me 50+ hours first time around), I am replaying the main campaign without expansions again because I want to see what happens in the core campaign if I make different choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions are not essentials unless you are a hardcore fan.
No offense to hardcore fans of course (in fact, I have all the exp. myself). By that, I mean people who have played the game many times and are willing to play it way more. Probably more than any other game of their collection.

Not only are the expansions not necessary but it is even advised not to play them before you completed at least a full campaign first.
And it is worth noting that the expansions are not meant to be played all together. Two or three at once is a max per campaign and some of them don't get along very well.

That said: considering the price of these expansions on the KD website, if you project to play the game a lot in the future, if the KS has a very good deal for the expansions AND if you have the funds ( a lot of if's), it's worth considering a purchase in advance.
Not for the short term but for later.
But then, keep in mind that the expansions might not leave your shelves for quite some time before they will come into play.

For that kind of gamers, it could be a long term investment that might save them some money eventually.

And, let's face it, some (like me) are just completionists.
They have to have it all, period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Navarro
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, what they said. I also have all the expansions (and the majority of the promos) and I still haven't played any of them. The core game is just that good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me put it this way. Know how Descent 2nd edition has a ton of expansions? That add monsters, cards, etc?

Kingdom Death: Monster's core game has enough content to match Descent 2nd edition including all of its [Descent's] expansions.

Maybe not a strict 1:1 to comparison in terms of quantity of monster to monster......but the core game of KD:M gives more gear and probably an equal or greater amount of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmb
dont get these people wrong however, the expansions are excellent and really do add a lot to KDM. However KDM is a 33 hour game on average. Its only worth getting the expansion if you plan to play the game beyond that and really you wont know if its worth buying them until you have actually played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, 33 hours the successful campaign. if you count the time that passes from prologue lion to you actually beating the watcher, double that.

if you just count the life of a single settlement, I once lost to the prologue lion (that was sad) and more than once a settlement lasted less than 10 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The core game is chock full of content with a great replayability. You will have tens or even hundreds of hours of gameplay there without even thinking of adding asnything new.

Expansions add new content but as some fellow gamers have already said, you won't even feel the need to use them until you've played the base game a lot and want to add some new stuff. Even then, just a couple of well-chosen ones will literally duplicate the lifespan of your KD:M experience (e.g. Gorm to replace the Lion and Dragon King for a new campaign).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shu1984 wrote:
The core game is chock full of content with a great replayability. You will have tens or even hundreds of hours of gameplay there without even thinking of adding asnything new.

Expansions add new content but as some fellow gamers have already said, you won't even feel the need to use them until you've played the base game a lot and want to add some new stuff. Even then, just a couple of well-chosen ones will literally duplicate the lifespan of your KD:M experience (e.g. Gorm to replace the Lion and Dragon King for a new campaign).

This is spot on advise. Get the core, play it, if you like it then look over all of the expansion content and get the one's that peak your interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmb
i think i total we put in 40 hours of game time into kdm before we beat the basic campaign, my friend who i played with however is a serious min/maxer and so we always had the best possible gear ocmbinations we could get. The watcher fight itself was a huge letdown.

after 40 hours of playing KDM, i dont think there was any real desire to play it again without throwing in the expansions, which we just threw in almost all of them and used the dragon king expansion for the main story, we never did finish it. But i know that kdm will be a game that i return to once more at a later date.

I think after finishing KDM, i had to not only take a break from it but from boardgaming itself. Nothing could compare to the experience i just had and it took months before i could get bck into board gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mb
gorkel wrote:
dont get these people wrong however, the expansions are excellent and really do add a lot to KDM. However KDM is a 33 hour game on average. Its only worth getting the expansion if you plan to play the game beyond that and really you wont know if its worth buying them until you have actually played it.

Boy you're really positive. Assuming you don't die or wipe and have to restart. I love your positive world view that you'll win automatically.

gorkel wrote:
The watcher fight itself was a huge letdown.

That's unfortunate. Haven't done him yet, but I hope he gets revised if he's that much of a disappointment. Is that the same for others here? (No spoilers)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.