BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Expansions for Dominion 2nd Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bambucha bambuc
msg tools
new user
Hey guys!

I've just gotten Dominion Second Edition a few weeks ago and I am playing it non-stop
I've been thinking of getting an expansion for it. So I did a bit of research and decided on Seaside or Prosperity.
There a thing I am confused about. Since I got the Second Edition, is it better to wait for Seaside/Prosperity Second Edition?
I am mostly interested if there is any difference in the card quality. Would the 2nd edition mix well with Seaside/Prosperity?

Thank you!

ps. I'm new here, I hope im posting in the right place..!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't noticed any substantial difference in card quality. If you're worried about getting a first edition of a expansion when a second edition might be printed then I'd get one of the later expansions (Dark Ages, Empires, etc.).

I may be out of the loop but I don't expect any new second editions of existing expansions. The two base sets (Dominion and Intrigue) needed a second edition to overhaul some weak/unbalanced cards that existed in these collections. Intrique now doesn't contain base cards, converting it into a expansion rather than an alternative base set box. More likely I would expect the issue of completely new expansions rather than more 'second' editions. It wouldn't surprise me, though, if a revamp of Alchemy might occur, but that's about it.

There is no particular order that the expansions have to be purchased to fit in with the base set. Buy what theme interests you, each expansion is complete on it's own and can actually be played by themselves with just the base cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bambucha bambuc
msg tools
new user
Thank you!

By the way, do you know if the Colony and Platinum cards (from Prosperity) are in a different style than the base cards from the 2nd edition?
If they are, its probably best to wait for a reprint of Prosperity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe there are any plans for further second editions.

Whether they will reprint Prosperity or other expansions to have the VP cards and money cards fit the new format is a good question that I don't know the answer to. Either way, I don't think the artwork discrepancies will cause any real trouble. If tis is a main concern, maybe get another expansion before Prosperity (even though Prosperity might be my number one recommendation). Plenty of great Dominion expansions out there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bambucha wrote:
By the way, do you know if the Colony and Platinum cards (from Prosperity) are in a different style than the base cards from the 2nd edition?

I've only seen the base game and only 1st edition but you can view all* the cards online here:

http://dominion.diehrstraits.com/

From a quick google search it looks like you can buy "Dominion Base Cards" which contains updated Colony and Platinum for Prosperity. (Well assuming that's what the "Dominion: Base Cards" tab in the spoiler is).

* Actually it doesn't have Empire, and doesn't seem to have the 2nd edition cards anywhere but I think everything else is there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bambucha wrote:
ps. I'm new here, I hope im posting in the right place..!

The Dominion general forum would probably be the best place (I've flagged the thread so it may get moved there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bambucha bambuc
msg tools
new user
I didnt know there are per-game forums, I will ask there if they have any official information.
Thank you!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.