7,242 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
45.6% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Little help please! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Martin
msg tools
Hello everyone,

I just picked up Pathfinder adventure card game along with a million addons. I just started getting into board games. I'm really enjoying it, but I came across a few things I wasn't sure what to do.

1. I just beat a hentchman at one of the locations with 1 card remaining. I had to roll some check and failed. I went to my second guy who discovered the villain and I beat him with a bunch of cards left. I failed to close the location and I believe he would end up in the other location I didn't close and shuffled in with the remaining card.

Everytime I fail do I draw another card and proceed with the closing check? Or do I just continued to draw a card and attempt to close it after or do I have to clear all the cards? I drew the villain again and beat him, which I would assume he would flee to the location I had left that I just beat him at. So it left me with the same situation where I was attempting to close a location and failed. Am I doing this correctly? Or once you have the chance to close a location you keep doing that until you do?

It just didn't make sense to me to keep shuffling him into a deck when I beat him already, but failed the check. I stopped playing after that in slight confusion until I could clarify.

2. With the Mage he has +2 arcane and I just wanted to make sure I was doing this correctly as well. So when in combat I can use his intelligence and his modifier correct?or is it when I only use a spell? Could you say use the fighter and use his Intelligence as his fighting die as well (not sure why you would just trying to figure out you can use ether). I assumed the +3 on melee was when he doesn't use a weapon, which made me think you don't get the +2 arcane modifier when you don't use a spell.

I tend to overthink things and make it more difficult than it is. If anyone could clear that up I would greatly appreciate it. I probably had more questions, but this is all I could remember.

OTHER:

Would anyone recommend Warhammer adventure card game or Mistfall or perhaps another superior game? I like games where solo is an option and I don't have a group of friends interested in really playing besides my brother. Descent seems very cool, but for 1-2 people it doesn't seem worth it along with me wanting everything the game offers in terms of expansions (I'd go broke). I felt like I watched so many videos of pathfinder and found it fascinating and then after I impulsivey bought $250 worth of addons and read people's opinions, it may have been a bad choice. It does seem pretty easy, but I'd imagine it will get harder. I just really enjoyed the whole leveling up concept. The more I educate myself I see lots of people don't like random luck based things and that's where I find it really fun. I'm not a hardcore board game player so everything is refreshing and new to me.

I picked up Mage Knight before this and just got Relic, Talisman, Claustrophobia, and Tide of Iron on the way from FFGs holiday sale. I want to probably pick up ether WHACG or Mistfall, Galaxy Defenders, and I can't recall the name, but the makers of Hopolmachous (sp) new RPG type game, but waiting on reviews and it's release ($125 is pretty pricey for 1 game).

Thanks everyone, sorry for the LONG POST.

EDIT: One more thing if I have 2 people at one location I can't use say a shield for someone else? Basically I can't use anything that says "your" check even if I'm at a location. I also didn't understand the point of Levitation? Why would I use it to move someone at the end of my turn when they can move themself already. I'm sure there is more to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so first of all, PACG and Mage Knight are two of two in my top two games list. So, I wouldn't steer you to other games. I'm biased, but, I think being able to set up PACG in ten min, have a thirty min game, have character advancement, etc, is great. I think the deployability with characters and other sets and the downloadable scenarios is also great. Give it at least another chance since you've invested in it, and may I recommend running a 3 character party solo. I'll be happy to talk with you more about how I do that, just geek mail me.

Rules questions.

1) On closing.

So you beat a henchman, but fail the when closing check with character A. Character B encounters the villain, and defeats him, but the villain can escape because character A failed to temporarily close his location.

At that moment, the location with Character B closes. The villain is shuffled with a number of blessings from the box equal to the remaining open locations minus one, and one card is shuffled into the deck of each remaining open location.

This means it is possible to keep chasing the villain to a set of locations that keeps getting smaller, because when you defeat a villain, it's location closes.

As an example, let's say you had academy, temple, and guardhouse.
Ezren is at the Academy, Seelah is at the Temple, Guardhouse is empty. Seelah encounters the villain. Ezren fails his check to temporarily close the Academy. Seelah defeats the villain, so the Temple closes no matter what. The villain is shuffled with one blessing from the box, and one card is shuffled into the Academy, and one to the guardhouse.

Seelah's turn ends, and then Ezren happens to encounter the villain at the Academy. He defeats the villain, who then escapes to the guardhouse, and the Academy is closed (without a check!).

You make the when closing check when:

- You are temporarily closing a location due to a villain encounter
- You defeated a henchman that lets you close a location (most do in RotR)
- There are no cards left in the deck (one such check per turn).

On fighting with Ezren:

Every character may use their Strength or Melee skill on any combat check. Ezren can only use his arcane skill when a card he plays allows him to, with text like "for this combat text, you may use your Intelligence or Arcane + 2d4". If he plays that card, Ezren uses his Arcane (d12 + 2?) + 2d4 for the spell. He doesn't get his strength or melee though as he has identified another skill he is using for the check. General rule is that there is always one skill you choose for a check. In this case you would choose between Arcane and Melee.

On your: Yes, your means your, not someone else. Later cards and powers may let you help prevent damage for friends.

On levitation: There are locations in the game you don't want to stay at. It's still not a spell I'd ever leave in my deck if I could avoid it.

I hope this helps, feel free to GM me if you have more questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RookieKnight3 wrote:
I just picked up Pathfinder adventure card game along with a million addons. I just started getting into board games.

Great! Welcome.

RookieKnight3 wrote:

1. I just beat a henchman at one of the locations with 1 card remaining. I had to roll some check and failed. I went to my second guy who discovered the villain and I beat him with a bunch of cards left. I failed to close the location and I believe he would end up in the other location I didn't close and shuffled in with the remaining card.

If I follow you correctly, that sounds right.
-- After beating a henchman and failing the close check, there are two ways to close the location: (1) Empty the location of cards, then, before the end of your turn, your are allowed to try to close the location by attempting the close check, or (2) defeating a villain at the location.
-- Defeating a villain at a location closes the villain's location (unless there is another villain in the location's cards).
-- The character at the unclosed location (not the villain's location) could have temporarily closed the location by attempting the close check. This would prevent the villain from escaping there.
-- If all other locations were closed, and you didn't temp close the location, then yes, the villain would be shuffled into the last open locaction.

RookieKnight3 wrote:
Everytime I fail do I draw another card and proceed with the closing check? Or do I just continued to draw a card and attempt to close it after or do I have to clear all the cards?

See above.

RookieKnight3 wrote:
I drew the villain again and beat him, which I would assume he would flee to the location I had left that I just beat him at. So it left me with the same situation where I was attempting to close a location and failed. Am I doing this correctly? Or once you have the chance to close a location you keep doing that until you do?

It just didn't make sense to me to keep shuffling him into a deck when I beat him already, but failed the check. I stopped playing after that in slight confusion until I could clarify.

The part you missed was that defeating a villain automatically closes the villain's location.

RookieKnight3 wrote:
2. With the Mage he has +2 arcane and I just wanted to make sure I was doing this correctly as well. So when in combat I can use his intelligence and his modifier correct?or is it when I only use a spell? Could you say use the fighter and use his Intelligence as his fighting die as well (not sure why you would just trying to figure out you can use ether). I assumed the +3 on melee was when he doesn't use a weapon, which made me think you don't get the +2 arcane modifier when you don't use a spell.

Referring to the rulebook:
RotR rulebook p.11 wrote:
Most monsters and some barriers call for a combat check. Weapons and many other cards that can be used during combat generally tell you what skill to use when you attempt a combat check; if you don’t play such a card, use your Strength or Melee skill.

For a check to defeat which says "Combat", you must either: (1)Use your Strength or Melee skill, or (2) Use a character power (like Seoni's) which allows you to use another skill, or (3) play a card which enables you to use another skill (or roll specific dice).

So, Ezren (who you call the Mage, I think) cannot just roll his Arcane skill, or his Intelligence skill, or any skill except Strength or Melee. (Ezren's Melee die is d4, because it isn't defined. The die of any undefined skill is d4.) Ezren has to play a spell or a similar card to use his Arcane skill on a combat check.

RookieKnight3 wrote:
One more thing if I have 2 people at one location I can't use say a shield for someone else? Basically I can't use anything that says "your" check even if I'm at a location.

Basically yes. If it says "your check" etc you can only use it on yourself. If it says it reduces damage, it only reduces damage done to you. What you can do for another character is limited. If the card says "a check" or "any check" you can usually use it on anyone (regardless of location).

RookieKnight3 wrote:
I also didn't understand the point of Levitation? Why would I use it to move someone at the end of my turn when they can move themself already.

It is used in large parties usually. Say you have 6 characters and you are spreading out to temp close locations and beat the villain. One character is at each of 6 locations. You have one location closed. A character closes a location. You would have to wait 6 turns for that character to move to the last unoccupied open location before you could win the game by cornering the villain. But if you Levitate that character to the last unoccupied open location, now if anyone finds the villain, you can win.

EDIT: I was nearly 100% certain I'd get ninja'd on such a long post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Hawkmoon's helpful guide:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/101370/guide-new-playe...

It was written awhile ago, some things may have been altered slightly since then, but I think it's still pretty accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're still interested in PACG, play the app. Best way to learn the rules, imo.

I think you're done buying for the season. laugh

No, actually the Arkham Horror: Card Game looks interesting because it has "level up" as you purchase (?) new cards with experience points to improve your character. Since you play solo, the one core box will be fine with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Martin
msg tools
Hey everyone!

Wow! Thank you all for the help. I forgot all about putting the blessing cards with the villain. And I clearly remember hearing from multiple playthroughs videos that the place is instantly closed and now I remember the temporary close.

See it's the little things like that I wanted to clarify before I go at it again. I only read the rules once and felt confident after watching hours of videos.

I definitely am not abandoning the game. I guess I left an impression I wanted something else. I'm very happy with this and oddly amused I spent $300 on a game I've never played haha. It's just a whole new world to me and I'm at a candy store and want to try everything!

I know this is the PFACG forum, but if anyone had any first hand opinions about those others I mentioned I'd greatly appreciate it. I've read a lot of negativity about PFACG, but maybe because I'm a casual and am blind to whatever they feel about the game. I'm for sure keeping this, I just want to try others as well.

I get impulsive and once something grabs my intention I go wreckless (gotta have all the addons damnit! Not playing without it all!!) haha.

Once again thank you guys for the help. Have a great day you all!

PS: Thanks for the guide link as well I'll check it out later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.