Hide
11 Posts

Shadowrun: Crossfire» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few questions from a new player... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shayne Hull
msg tools
I've played my first game (solo) of Shadowrun: Crossfire and love it. Though I do have a few questions...

1. If you're playing one runner with two roles, you only take the starting deck for one of your roles. So why have the other role? Is it simply for choosing which runner to assign the first obstacle to?

2. Why are there max health and health tokens? If the health token is on your max health and no other number on the health tracker has the green max health symbol around it can't you just assume that you're on and covering your runner's max health? Am I missing a use for the max health token?

3. Why do the health trackers contain values above max health if you can never exceed max health? My guess is there are rules/cards I haven't yet come across that break this rule and allow you to increase your health past max health.

4. When I purchase a card from the black market it goes straight into my hand, right? I feel I read this somewhere in the rules and it feels like a great advantage when playing. I've played other deck building games where the purchased cards go into your discard pile.

5. Will we ever be able to exceed 4 players? This seems limited by the 4 roles, but I'd love to have more people play.

Again, love this game so far.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) There are some obstacles or crossfire effects that reference a specific role, so you always need all 4 roles in play. If something wants to pick on the Decker, someone has to be the Decker to take the hit.

2 and 3) There are karma upgrades that can raise your max health. You'll place the max health token on the new max value.

4) Yes, it goes straight to your hand.

5) Probably not. None of the missions give balancing details for more than 4 runners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hullstar wrote:
I've played my first game (solo) of Shadowrun: Crossfire and love it. Though I do have a few questions...

1. If you're playing one runner with two roles, you only take the starting deck for one of your roles. So why have the other role? Is it simply for choosing which runner to assign the first obstacle to?

2. Why are there max health and health tokens? If the health token is on your max health and no other number on the health tracker has the green max health symbol around it can't you just assume that you're on and covering your runner's max health? Am I missing a use for the max health token?

3. Why do the health trackers contain values above max health if you can never exceed max health? My guess is there are rules/cards I haven't yet come across that break this rule and allow you to increase your health past max health.

4. When I purchase a card from the black market it goes straight into my hand, right? I feel I read this somewhere in the rules and it feels like a great advantage when playing. I've played other deck building games where the purchased cards go into your discard pile.

5. Will we ever be able to exceed 4 players? This seems limited by the 4 roles, but I'd love to have more people play.

Again, love this game so far.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Answered well by Jason already.

There are four roles in the game and all must be assigned. If you were playing a solo runner (only one runner), then that runner would have all 4 roles but only one of their role's starting deck. If you have two runners, both would have two roles, and each would have one role's starting deck. With three players only one has a dual role. In the "normal" crossfire deck, playing with fewer than 4 players gives a few benefits, such as a little bit of extra nuyen for characters with more than one role and a few rounds of peace before the crossfire deck starts hitting you hard.

The game is very much built around four roles, and I don't really see a good way to put a fifth (or more) player into the mix. If you want some of the same feel from a game and want more players, look at Encounters: Shadowrun as it might scratch the itch.

Card purchases going into the hand is the way the game is played -- there is a Karma reward you can purchase where cards cost less but go straight to the discard pile instead of your hand. When you get to that level of Karma, try it out and see if it makes a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still a beginner at this game (only succeeded the "ambulators" mission so far shake), but I feel one really needs the ability to immediately use the bought cards, because the deck cycles very slowly (only two cards ever per round).

Probably the dynamics change at higher karma levels.

Love this game but we take such a beating every time we play that it's hard to motivate my wife to keep playing it with me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The first true win will be eye opening and you'll realize you understand the mechanics enough to win outright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Hull
msg tools
Thanks for the replies.

I played the "Ancients" mission. I can't off the top of my head remember the mission's actual name, but it's the one where you have another deck of elves as well as the normal and hard obstacle decks. You win by defeating all obstacles three times. I played solo and didn't find it all that difficult: I won on my first try. One thing I keep hearing is that Shadowrun: Crossfire is really difficult. I wonder if I did anything wrong (hence my questions about buying cards from the black market). I was triple checking everything and I'm sure I ran it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ancients mission is the new 'easier' first mission they included in the expansion. Much of the reports of the difficulty were pre-expansion. I started with that as well and pretty much get around a 70% win ratio. From time to time a bad crossfire card will tank you, but (IMO) its jut the right level of challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hullstar wrote:

There are 2 additional roles in High Caliber Ops Expansion. You can play with them up to six players. But some colors will be used twice.

I will suggest +1 crossfire level at the beginning of the game for 5 players and +2 for 6 players.

Difficulty of the game is swingy, so I think you will not suffer from any balance issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncivil wrote:
Hullstar wrote:

There are 2 additional roles in High Caliber Ops Expansion. You can play with them up to six players. But some colors will be used twice.

I will suggest +1 crossfire level at the beginning of the game for 5 players and +2 for 6 players.

Difficulty of the game is swingy, so I think you will not suffer from any balance issues.

Please note that the quoted text is a variant suggestion, and not how HCO is intended to operate.

This is truly a 4 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AlexFS wrote:
I'm still a beginner at this game (only succeeded the "ambulators" mission so far shake), but I feel one really needs the ability to immediately use the bought cards, because the deck cycles very slowly (only two cards ever per round).

Love this game but we take such a beating every time we play that it's hard to motivate my wife to keep playing it with me

Remember in games with fewer than 4 players to be giving yourselves a round or 2 of reprieve from the Crossfire deck. I played that wrong my first couple of 2 and 3 player games and it can make the game way harder than it should be.

Also if she is frustrated with this game, let HER start with some Karma rewards. The game is balanced pretty well to let characters with different levels of Karma rewards work together. It then just scales the rewards back for the more experienced character. Think of it like a sidekick with a superhero. The sidekick learns more from the mission than the superhero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nachofan wrote:
AlexFS wrote:

Remember in games with fewer than 4 players to be giving yourselves a round or 2 of reprieve from the Crossfire deck. I played that wrong my first couple of 2 and 3 player games and it can make the game way harder than it should be.

Also if she is frustrated with this game, let HER start with some Karma rewards. The game is balanced pretty well to let characters with different levels of Karma rewards work together. It then just scales the rewards back for the more experienced character. Think of it like a sidekick with a superhero. The sidekick learns more from the mission than the superhero.

My wife would slap me if I recommended she take unearned Karma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.