Subject: Move, collect, evaluate, ally, deceive, adrenaline rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wey Scoggin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I walked by the library at bggcon to put back my game and saw the designer of The Resistance explaining his new game. After a quick rules explanation I jumped right in, unsure of any strategies and the knowledge that I had to escape the planet with someone of my choosing, but not my immediate neighbors.
Round 1
The leader of the round drew a card that determined which sector a missile would hit. It's the guy next to me, and he decides not to tell me where the missile is going. That'a ok I think to myself, because I don't know how much it matters anyhow, and Christopher is sitting across the table on his third bottle of wine and he assures me that he will take care of me. I've made a partner for at least the rest of this game, and I know that I can use that to my advantage. Everyone chooses their sector and the missile hits. It didn't hit where I went, so I picked up a scrap and a piece for the ship. I'm not entirely sure what's going on yet, and I'm a little worried if I'm going to like it. Why am I collecting resources, how am I supposed to form alliances? What if I want to abandon the game before we abandon the planet?
Round 2
A new leader is raised up and he tells me where the missile is going.
Well this make me happy! I have some information, and I know a place that isn't safe for me. I decide to even tell my neighbor where the missile is going, even though we can't possibly be on the same team. I just like for people to like me, what can I say. Some people land on the same space and they have a fun fight and some people blow up but they still get good stuff. I'm still not sure if I like the game, but people are collecting things and we need to partner up to get out.
Round 3
A new leader that can potentially be on my team decides not to tell me where the missile is going. What the crap! Why won't he tell me. I don't know why that could be a strategy, but luckily I convince my neighbor to tell me where it's Going. Great, I know not to go to sector 4. I go to sector 5 to pick up some fuel and scrap. Wait, what? The missile hit sector 3?!?! My neighbor lied to me?!?! I didn't get hit, but he was caught in a lie and I called him out. I had a good few minutes of berating him while I told him I was an astronaut and there was no way he could get off the planet before me.
Round 4
I'm starting to get the game now. I can only carry a limited amount of resources and will need to partner with someone who has some of the missing resources I couldn't get. I start telling other people what resources they should get, and what I should get, and developing a plan to leave this planet. I'm starting to get it, and the game is a foot. I can tell people what to do and if they agree I'll trust them a little bit, if they go somewhere else they played me and are trying to partner with someone else. My early choices are to be based on people that went to other places, but I have to keep everyone happy with me until I see a way to real free with our new rocket.
Round 5 and beyond
People are starting to make alliances and lose trust with others. My adrenaline is pumping. My adrenaline is pumping just like it does in the very best games of resistance. This time it's different though, I'm not worried about getting found out, I'm excited about getting people to follow me, and hoping my allies don't get blown up. If my allies lose resources who else can I come a quick alliance with. What if I try to take off and get betrayed? I am full of anticipation and can't help but trash talk my filthy lying neighbors. I have deemed myself the Americans astronauts and they are the cosmonauts and they obviously don't have the money and wits to get off first.

The game was amazing, and even though it took a few rounds to get interesting, it really took off. Pun intended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.