Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Beecher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have not played this in years, but have been reading the Lord of the Rings with my daughter, and we've just read the chapter The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, and thought it would be good to get it out again.

I thought I would organize this into one post per turn plus an initial post with the initial dispositions of the forces.

So here we go.....

The Forces of Sauron have this initial deployment:

The troops deploy in a broad line of advance. The idea is to keep the slow moving Siege Equipment on the road, and to try to get as many combat units next to the walls, towers, and front gate as possible to scale it. Gothmog and the Lord of the Nazgul are both atop archer units.

The Westernesse initial deployment:

The idea is to stay away from the Forces of Sauron during their fanatical turns (2-6), but to keep a unit on each level to try to slow the demoralization of the garrison. (Each level controlled by the Forces of Sauron adds 10 to the demoralization level of the garrison, and the garrison becomes Demoralized once this hits 36.)

Imrahil and Gandalf are each stacked with a Gondor archer unit.

The best units are in the tunnels so they can rush to either the north end or the south end, wherever they are needed the most.

I've left the Dummy Cauldrons and Dummy Oil off the table since this is a solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Beecher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Positions at the end of turn 1
The Forces of Sauron advance as quickly as they can during the first turn, resulting in this:

No real surprises or subtleness. Just drive for the walls as quickly as possible.

The Westernesse troops stay in place during turn 1, and so their positions are unchanged from the initial deployment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Beecher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Positions at the end of turn 2
The Forces of Sauron that started on-board advance to the walls.

The rules for Ladders are a little odd as written, so I'm going to play this as suggested by GodRob in another thread here: Ladders are placed in the Siege Phase of the turn. This is why no Ladders are on the board at this time. And because the Minas Tirith garrison is conceding the first level or two to Sauron, there will be lots of Ladders, and Orcs over the first wall on turn 3.

If the Minas Tirith garrison does not contest the outer wall -- which is a tough proposition given the fanatical Forces of Sauron -- there does not seem to be much of a need for Grond.

The Forces of Sauron reinforcement enter the road with the slower Siege Equipment at the front:

The goal is to get as many of the best troops into Minas Tirith to put the garrison into Demoralization as quickly as possible. The last arriving reinforcements will be the Haradrim, and they'll turn north to block the reinforcements from Rohan. Given that there is only one entry hex, and given the rules for subsequent units entering on the same hex, it will take the Forces of Sauron reinforcement some time to enter the battle.

Once again the Westernesse forces stay put, and retain their positions from the start of the game. I expect they'll see action on turn 3 or 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Beecher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Positions at the end of turn 3
During the Siege Phase, the three Catapults launch three Severed Heads into Minas Tirith. One Catapult has a target two hexes away, and so that Head lands where intended. The other two Catapults have targets three hexes away. Both scatter, but both Heads land in Minas Tirith (and not on a Mountain hex).

(Does a Mountain hex count as "in" Minas Tirith? On one hand, the hex is clearly within the walls of Minas Tirith. On the other hand, if the head lands somewhere uninhabited in the mountains, and no one sees it, it does not seem like it would affect morale. My sense is to treat the Mountain hexes as being "in' Minas Tirith for purposes of heads and fire.)

Also, during the Siege Phase, many infantry units adjacent to the wall place Ladders that they'll use soon enough in the Movement Phase.

The Forces of Sauron scale the walls on the south side of the main gate:

Since it only costs one additional MP to scale a wall using a Siege Tower, three of the combat units make good progress.

The E-1-Z spear unit in the tower in 1312 will be able to pass through the gate between hexes 1311 and 1312 because the spear unit controls hex 1312, and the spear unit to its left controls hex 1311 because its ZOC extends there.

Panning to the right (north), we find:

more reinforcements pouring down the Minas Tirith - Minas Morgol road. The Trolls continue to carry Grond, but since both sides of the main gate are controlled by the Forces of Sauron, Grond won't need to break it down. Note that the Siege Towers have new combat units in them, and all of the Ladders on the board were placed in the Siege Phase of turn 3.

Finally, looking further to the right (north), we have:

the north wing of the Forces of Sauron. Note that the E-1-Z combat unit in the tower at 2510 will either need to spend its entire move to "scale down" the walls into Minas Tirith, or it will need some other friendly unit to gain control of hex 2511 so that it can use the gate between 2511/2512.

Again, the Westernesse remain put and stay well clear of the fanatical Forces of Sauron.

Night is now 40% over.

Demoralization
Forces of Sauron = 0
Minas Tirith Garrision = 3 (+3 this turn)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Johnson
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried talking your Daughter into playing the game?

My Daughter loved to play War of the Ring.

[ImageID= 1344212]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Beecher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Positions at the end of turn 4
During the Siege Phase, a few more Ladders go up, and three more Severed Heads land in Minas Tirith. (6 of 12 have been launched so far by the Catapults.)

The Forces of Sauron continue to invest the first level of Minas Tirith. In the south:

No targets for Missile Combat. The front rank of combat units will place Ladders during the Siege Phase of the next turn to climb into the second level of Minas Tirith.

In the center:

The last of the troops from Mordor enter the map and stream down the road toward Minas Tirith.

The King of Harad arrives with his vanguard, three units of Mumakil. They will head to the north to block Theoden and the Rohirrim. The Rohan army consists solely of cavalry units, and they will not be able to enter the ZOC of the Mumakil. That should slow down the advance nicely.

(The rules do not specifically say that the Mumakil move like cavalry, but I am presuming they have a movement of 6 rather than infantry's movement of 4.)

To the north:

The Forces of Sauron continue to advance. Some troops will need to move to the extreme north end of the first level to attack a single combat unit that has holed up in a tower. If they can destroy that unit, that will leave the first level under the complete control of Sauron, and that will add 10 to the demoralization level of the garrison.

Still no response from the Westernesse. (It is good that this is a solo game!) They are holding off until turn 7 to engage with the enemy, after night turns to day.

Demoralization
Forces of Sauron = 0
Minas Tirith Garrison = 6 (+3 this turn)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GRS

Poland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if it's possible to simply shot the heads to lower the Minas tirith Morale to the level when Sauron wins?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gray
United States
Deerwood
MN
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have thought the Mumakil move like infantry, they were very ponderous in the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Beecher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
graydo wrote:
I'd have thought the Mumakil move like infantry, they were very ponderous in the book.

Yeah, I can definitely see an argument for having them move more slowly.

One reason I was thinking it might be six rather than four -- and this is tenuous -- is that in the roster of Sauron reinforcements, the Mumakil are listed amongst the cavalry units, not the infantry units.

But I totally see where you are coming from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Beecher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattinox wrote:
Have you tried talking your Daughter into playing the game?

My Daughter loved to play War of the Ring.

[ImageID= 1344212]

Heh. Yup, I have tried. In general she doesn't care for games very much. But maybe with the game being up over this 4-day Thanksgiving break, it'll pique her interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gray
United States
Deerwood
MN
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the replay, we really enjoyed this when it came out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this. Looking forward to the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Beecher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Positions at the mid-point of turn 5
During the Siege Phase, the Forces of Sauron launch three more Severed Heads into Minas Tirith. There's no drift, and all three heads land in the target hex.

More Ladders go up, and some units make it into the second level of Minas Tirith.

At the end of the Sauron half of the turn, the situation in the south:

is good for the Forces of Sauron. I'm using fewer Ladders this turn so that I do not run out of them in the upper levels of Minas Tirith. (I probably already used too many to get over the outer wall.) Rule 16.47 notes that Ladders (et. al.) may not be used again if destroyed. I'm also interpreting that to mean that the Sauron player cannot remove a Ladder from the map, and move it back into the pile of available Ladders.

If the Forces of Sauron can secure the first three levels, this should be plenty to put the Garrison into Demoralization. At 10 points per level plus 1 point per Severed Head, that is 42 points, and only 36 are required.

It is the case, however, that this total will shrink back down to 22 points after the two sets of reinforcements arrive. But it is highly likely that the Forces of Sauron will eliminate some of the units within Minas Tirith, so that will likely drive the total back over 36.

One other item: We should add 5 to the demoralization level when the front gate is breached by Grond. Well, the Forces of Sauron are through the front gate, but not with Grond. To award the points or not? We'll see if it matters as the game progresses.

In the center:

We're sending some of the Mordor infantry to the south to set up a defensive perimeter. We'll want to have them in good shape when Aragorn and his army appears.

And in the north:

We are starting to push the Haradrim to set up against the Rohan counter-attack which will appear as soon as this turn.

There is one bit of combat this turn in the Missile Combat portion of the Combat Phase:

The Mordor archer unit (E-e-3-X) in 3009 will fire at the Gondor spear unit (D-3-X) in the tower in hex 2908.

It's clear that the Forces of Sauron are fanatical during Night turns (Rule 10.0), and it's clear that during Melee Combat, fanatical units do not need to use the Casualty Probability Table (Rule 7.37). I think it is a little gray if this also applies to Missile Combat too: It is not explicitly stated. However, rule 7.17 says that Missile Combat is resolved in the same way as Melee Combat, and so I'm going to apply fanaticism to both Missile Combat and Melee Combat.

So, the Mordor archers hit automatically. (The extra defense for the tower, increasing the armor rating by 1 doesn't help out here.) We roll a 4 on the Casualty Results Table for a X Morale Rating, and the result is r2 - Defending unit must retreat two hexes.

The D-3-X leaves the tower, and moves through the gate to the fourth level of Minas Tirith, and ends up next to Gandalf:

Because the number of unused Ladders is important to track, it's a little problematic that the Disruption counters are the backside of the Ladder counters. I may end up using some other marker to indicate that a unit is Disrupted.

Midway through turn 5:

Demoralization
Forces of Sauron = 0
Minas Tirith Garrison = 9 (+3 this turn)

Second half of turn 5 coming next....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Beecher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Positions at the end of turn 5
Prince Imrahil and a unit of archers pick up an Oil counter from their nearby Cauldron.

Since Oil is poured during the enemy Movement Phase, it seems like its main use is to interdict a hex. If the enemy player thinks that you have real Oil (not Dummy Oil), then he really can't move next to you.

In the north:

The Lord of the Nazgul moves up a Ladder and onto a friendly combat unit during the Second Magic Leader Movement Phase. Gandalf also moves so that he and the archer unit with which he is stacked will be safe from enemy fanatical Missile Combat, but still able to try to rally the Disrupted unit of spearmen. Ideally Gandalf would be in his current hex, and the archers would be in hex 2408 to take a shot at the Lord of the Nazgul's unit, but leaders must be in a hex with a friendly combat unit at the start of the Combat Phase (rule 8.1).

The cavalry unit in the tunnel, which has a Movement Allowance of only 5 while in Minas Tirith (rule 15.21) leaves the tunnel so that it is not cut off from the main body of the garrison.

In the Joint Rally Phase, Gandalf needs a dice roll 3-10 (inclusive) to rally the D-3-X spear unit, and rolls a 7. The spearmen are ready for combat again!

The Westernesse roll a 4 for reinforcements; Rohan does not appear this turn. (This is not a big deal. I would have held them off one more turn so that they are not on the map during the last Night turn of the game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Beecher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Positions at the mid-point of turn 6
During the Siege Phase the Forces of Sauron Catapults send in the last three Severed Heads from the countermix, brining the total to 12 in Minas Tirith. Looking forward we'll need to re-position these so they can either start to breach walls, or move along the north-south road to help with the defense against the Westernesse reinforcements.

At the end of the Movement Phase, we have this situation in the south:

More movement up into the second level of Minas Tirith. There is no Melee Combat between the units in 1107 and 1108 since the ZOC does not extend across the tower wall hexside. (If the Gondor unit is there at the start of the next turn, and if the unit in 1108 places a ladder, then there will be Melee Combat.)

In the center/south:

The King of Harad moves his Mumakil to block the advance of the Riders of Rohan. Haradrim cavalry moves along the north-south road to take up positions as well. Two units of Mordor cavalry round out the forces heading to confront Rohan.

Meanwhile, back in Minas Tirith:

The Forces of Sauron continue to pour into the first two levels of Minas Tirith. Again, there is no Melee Combat since the Garrison is protected by the walls of the gate in hex 2707.

There is, however, Missile Combat against the cavalry in hex 2308:

which results in a half-loss and retreat:

The rest of turn 6 next!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Beecher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Positions at the end of turn 6
Positions at the end of turn 6:

Imrahil moves back to hex 1506 as another unit of the Minas Tirith Garrison picks up some Oil. Archers move into hex 1207 (with Oil). They'll pour it down on one of the two Mordor combat units during the Forces of Sauron Movement Phase on turn 7.

During the Missile Combat Phase, the e-2-X archer in 1207 attacks the E-2-Y Mordor infantry driving it back two hexes. Final positions look like this in the south end of Minas Tirith:

On the north side, things are also going OK for the Garrison:

Gandalf moves away from the archers he was with to rally the Disrupted unit, and the archers move into the tower to take a shot.

During the Westernesse Missile Combat Phase, the Catapult in 2706 fires at the E-1-Z Mordor infantry unit, gaining an E (eliminated) unit. This is the first blood drawn by the Garrison!

The D-e-3-X armored archers fire at the E-2-Y Mordor infantry unit, but miss.

The Westernesse roll a die for Rohan reinforcements, but they fail to appear again.

Then, during the Joint Rally Phase, Gandalf fails(!) to rally the Disrupted Garrison unit by rolling an 11. Final positions in the north look like this:

Now that the Night has passed, let the battle begin!

Demoralization
Forces of Sauron = 3 (+3 this turn)
Minas Tirith Garrison = 12 (+3 this turn)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Time for some new overtext
badge
Something will come to mind
mbmbmbmbmb
So far all of your assumptions seem reasonable to me.

Question: Does Sauron have control of the first level yet? If so then that should increase the Garrison demorilization by 10 and decrease Sauron's demorilization by 5.

I'm not sure but Sauron may even have control of the second level as well.

This brings up the question of negative demorilization. Would Sauron be at 0 or -2 for controlling the first level? I'll leave that up to you...

edit: nevermind. I just noticed that one gondor unit in the tower on the first level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Beecher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 7: Forces of Sauron half of the turn
The Forces of Sauron continue to climb deeper into Minas Tirith, engaging with the Garrison at every opportunity:

The archers climb up into level three of Minas Tirith, and will attack the unit next to them in the Combat Phase. During the Movement Phase, the Gondor archers in hex 1207 pour Oil down on the Mordor infantry scaling a Ladder in hex 1108, destroying both the Ladder and the combat unit.

The Mordor archers hit their target, causing a half-loss, and forcing the Gondor archers back a hex, and leaving them Disrupted:

In the other half of the city, the troops from Mordor continue to press the attack. A unit on a Ladder in hex 2708 will Melee, and the archers in hex 2309 will use Missile Combat against Gandalf and the unit that failed to rally. Good opportunity to destroy this unit since if it needs to retreat it is eliminated.

Unfortunately for Sauron, both attacks miss:

In the far northwest corner of the city, Mordor infantry and archers corner a Gondor infantry unit in a tower. The infantry is safe from Melee unless the E-2-Y places a ladder next turn (and there are only three left!).

The Mordor archers miss, keeping a perfect 0-for-3 in attacks on the north end of the city for the Forces of Sauron.

Outside Minas Tirith, forces from Mordor establish a line in the south to meet Aragorn and his army:

Note that Mordor infantry is now hauling the Catapults along the north-south road to add Missile Combat capability to the Mordor force.

To the north:

The Mumakil are positioned well to deny the northeast corner of the map to the Rohirrim. The King of Harad transfers from the Mumakil to a cavalry unit. The Axemen of Harad continue their advance, and will want to keep clear of the Mumakil in case a lucky arrow shot causes a stampede.

Demoralization levels at the middle of turn 7
Forces of Sauron = 6 (+3 this turn)
Minas Tirith Garrison = 12 (no change this turn)

If the Forces of Sauron can get some halfway decent rolls in the next turn or two, they may be able to clear all of levels one and two. They may be able to push the Garrison into Demoralization, but will have to keep working at it to offset the lift from the reinforcements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Beecher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 7 - Westernesse
In the south of the city:

Imrahil stacks with a unit that has fetched fresh Oil from the nearby Cauldron. Imrahil is also adjacent to a Disrupted Gondor unit, which he will try to rally. (He fails to do so.) No attacks in the Combat Phase on this flank. The Gondor spearmen unit in the tower at 0907 is the only unit on level two of Minas Tirith, preventing the Forces of Sauron from controlling that level.

On the north side:

Gandalf takes a risk and moves into the hex with the Disrupted unit. (If the rules allowed it, I'd have rather moved him into 2507 so that he could attempt a rally, but stay out of harm's way.)

Still no sign of Rohan.... cry

During the Missile Combat Phase, the Catapult forces a Mordor E-2-Y infantry unit on the Ladder in 2608 to retreat one hex to 2808. The Gondor armored archers in the tower at 2607 then fire at the same unit, forcing it to retreat again. The rules call for an already Disrupted unit to be eliminated if forced to retreat again, and so the E-2-Y is removed from play (as shown), and the Forces of Sauron army accrues 5 more points toward Demoralization.

Gandalf does succeed in rallying the Gondor cavalry unit in 2407 during the Joint Rally Phase.

Here is a bird's eye view of the entire map at the end of turn 7:

Demoralization levels
Forces of Sauron = 11 (+8 this turn)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiggo Morrison
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Nail biting stuff! I love it.

Come on Theoden, come on Aragorn, Gondor needs you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Beecher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 8 : Forces of Sauron
During the Initial Magic Leader Movement Phase, Gandalf moves out of harm's way to an empty hex. This is allowed. By rule 8.1 he must be stacked with a friendly combat unit by the beginning of a Friendly Combat Phase. So sometime later in the turn, either Gandalf will need to move again to make this true, or a combat unit will need to come to him.

Elsewhere on the north side of Minas Tirith:

The Forces of Sauron continue to climb, moving some better troops towards the front, and lining up one Melee Combat and several Missile Combat shots. All of the Missile Combat attacks fail.

The Melee Combat from the E-1-Z unit on the Ladder in 2708 succeeds against the armored bowmen in the tower. They retreat two hexes (nominally), the first one out of the gate into 2507, and then a second hex to 2606 to join Gandalf. (This solves the problem from the first paragraph.)

Not shown in the photo above is the advance after combat of the E-1-Z into the tower. I'm sensing a couple of Catapult attacks coming up soon...

On the south side of the city:

More advancing with quite a few archers moving up. (Careful reviewers will note that one of the units -- an E-e-3-Y Orcs unit -- is not actually part of the game. I seem to have lost one of the E-e-3-X Mordor units over the years, and the other unit -- from the Sauron game -- is pinch-hitting for me. I'm treating it as an X-class morale unit.)

The Mordor archers in 1308 use Missile Combat against Imrahil, his accompanying unit, and the Oil. The unit gains +1 Armor due to the wall hexside, but loses it due to the Oil. Good chance to maybe take out a unit and a leader, but, no, another miss. The E-2-Y infantry unit uses Melee Combat against the Disrupted unit, and .... also missed.

The E and e Melee and Missile attack strengths do not make this easy.

Outside the city, the troops in the south continue to set up a defense:

Still need to push some units to the southeast corner of the map.

And in the north:

There is a good line of troops from Harad in place. I'm sending the two units of Mordor cavalry to the south to help there. Who knows - maybe Aragorn and his army will appear before Theoden and his?

No change in demoralization levels at the halfway point in turn 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Beecher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 8 - Westernesse half of the turn
Another attempt at the Rohan reinforcements fails: that’s four failed attempts in a row which is around a 1 in 5 chance (16/81). Not likely, but not unheard of. Theoden has one more turn to try to beat Aragorn to the battlefield.

In the south Prince Imrahil stands fast so that he can rally the Disrupted Minas Tirith bowmen. (He succeeds.) They’ll need to take advantage of the “Retreat before combat” rule in the next enemy Combat Phase.

At the end of the turn, this is the situation in the southern portion of the city:

In the north end, Gandalf joins the unit by the gate to remain somewhat clear of the enemy, but still in a position to rally the armored archers. (He succeeds in the Joint Rally Phase.) During the Missile Combat Phase, the Catapult in 2706 scores a hit against the Mordor infantry unit in 2607 (even defending as a ‘2’ instead of a ‘1’ because of the tower wall). The result is ‘r2’. Based on a reading of the two rules on retreats (7.55 and 7.56), I think the E-1-Z unit is eliminated because it has no place to retreat.

Hexes 2606 and 2707 contain enemy units (among other problems).

Hex 2507 is behind a closed gate, and even if it were not, the ZOC of the Disrupted armored archers would block a retreat.

Hexes 2508 and 2608 would require a retreat through impassable hexsides (walls).

Hex 2707 is also behind an impassable hexside, but there is a Ladder there, so perhaps?

If this was a Melee Combat rather than a Missile Combat, this would be easy to decide. Rule 16.47 says that units on a Ladder that receive an adverse result in Melee Combat are eliminated, along with the Ladder. My sense is that starting a retreat next to the Ladder, and then retreating onto or thru the Ladder would be treated similarly. However, this is Missile Combat, and if one was on a Ladder, one could retreat normally.

In the end, I’m going to rule that a unit may not retreat across an impassable hexside even if a Ladder or Siege Tower is present during Missile Combat. (I’d be interested in hearing how others have ruled on this. I can see an argument for allowing a unit to retreat using a Ladder or Siege Tower during Missile Combat too.)

A Garrison unit with Oil also moves adjacent to an Orc Archer unit. At the start of the Forces of Sauron Movement Phase on the next turn, the Oil will pour down on the Orc Archer unit, eliminating it. Final positions in the north:

Demoralization totals at the end of turn 8
Forces of Sauron = 14 (+3 this turn)

P.S. Gothmog also rallied the Disrupted Mordor unit during the Joint Rally Phase. The photo at the top of this entry does not reflect it because I forgot to do before I took the picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Time for some new overtext
badge
Something will come to mind
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand the situation correctly, the mordor unit should be able to retreat to either hex 2508 or 2608 because they are on a lower level and not in an enemy zoc. (I think you've already moved the cavalry that were in 2407. If not, then 2508 is not an eligible hex.)

The walls are only impassable when going from a lower level to a higher level. From a higher level to a lower level is not impassable. Towers are considered higher than their surrounding hexes even though they may be on the same level.

Hex 2708 with the ladder is not available for retreat because it is in an enemy zoc.

In any case, it's just a E1Z orc (now disrupted) and nobody is going to miss him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Beecher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robertg611 wrote:
If I understand the situation correctly, the mordor unit should be able to retreat to either hex 2508 or 2608 because they are on a lower level and not in an enemy zoc. (I think you've already moved the cavalry that were in 2407. If not, then 2508 is not an eligible hex.)

The walls are only impassable when going from a lower level to a higher level. From a higher level to a lower level is not impassable. Towers are considered higher than their surrounding hexes even though they may be on the same level.

Hex 2708 with the ladder is not available for retreat because it is in an enemy zoc.

In any case, it's just a E1Z orc (now disrupted) and nobody is going to miss him.

Thanks for the post. You're right, Walls are not impassable when going from a higher level to a lower level. I'm going to put that lowly E-1-Z back into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Beecher
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the Initial Magic Leader Movement phase, both the Lord of the Nazgul and Gandalf improve their positions.

In the south end of Minas Tirith, the Forces of Sauron line up to take several Missile Combat shots:

The Orc Archers in 1407 and 1109 miss their targets, but those in 1308 hit Imrahil and the unit he is with. (The Oil and the Wall cancel each other out for purposes of determining the Armor Protection Rating.) The result is an r1. Imrahil retreats to 1405, along with the now Disrupted unit he is with.

The Oil. It seems the choices are to: retreat it with the unit, leave it in the hex, or remove it from play. The rules are not explicit on this point. For the photo above, I've left it in the hex. Do others have ideas on what is correct?

In the north end of Minas Tirith, the Orcs continue to press.

During the Movement Phase, the cavalry pour Oil down on the archers in 2208. That adds 8 points to the Forces of Sauron demoralization level.

Orc infantry line up attacks against Gandalf (and his entourage) and the spearmen guarding the gate between levels two and three.

A Missile Combat against the tower in 3103 misses. The Orc infantry score an r1 result against Gandalf and his combat unit, forcing them back, and occupying his space. Next the Orc infantry on the Ladder score a 1/2r1 result against the spearmen at the gate. They retreat, disrupted down the wall to 2806. The final situation is this:

[ Note that this photo includes the "resurrected" Orc E-1-Z that should have been able to retreat down the wall from the tower on level three to level two of the city. ]

The Westernesse will be hard-pressed to counterattack here on their turn, and the Forces of Mordor now control the Gate between levels 2 and 3 since they control both hexes 2807 and 2707. (The Disrupted unit has no ZOC, and so does not control hex 2807.)

Outside of the city the Forces of Sauron keep working on setting up a defense. Aragorn and his army will appear next turn, but who knows if and when Theoden and Rohan will appear?

South wing:

North wing:

Adjusted Demoralization totals at the mid-point of turn 9
Forces of Sauron = 11 (-3 for restored E-1-Z)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.