Hide
2 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Painted Minis - Tetherys rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Williams
msg tools
This time I completed Tetherys from Crusade of the Forgotten. I may have put too thick of a layer of primer on her which hid some detail. Let me know what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fillhart
United States
Millbrook
New York
flag msg tools
Visit my website: www.fillharttech.com where I blog about fixing retro game systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Patrick,

Tetherys looks really good. The color selection is great and you've got bold/striking colors that match up very close to the character card. You've done a great job with the base as well. You've also got really good clean lines and the ever difficult eyes look great!

I am also a fellow miniature painter and have been diligently working on all of my heroes as well. After reviewing Tetherys here, I hope you don't mind one or two suggestions to bring your painting up to the next level of skill.

From the looks of it, your missing the same steps I was missing, the wash stage. The washes will really help add depth to the character and help pop out the higher areas that could use as many steps of a highlight as you want to add. Generally, when I base, I start with the mid tone color then add a wash. The wash will darken the shaded areas as well as darken the mid tone a bit. I then come back in with the mid tone as a highlight and start working up as many stages as I feel are necessary.

Here are some of my examples to show what a difference the wash stage can add:

Unwashed Augur Grisom with a few highlights vs Washed and highlighted Orkell:

If you haven't seen it yet, check out Sorasto's YouTube Channel. He does a great job of showing all the steps for making great, table-top quality figures. He also makes them easy to understand and follow along with. Watching his videos certainly helped me up my game.

I hope this helps and inspires you to go even further with your miniature paintings. BTW, your golems look amazing! The blending on the feet and overall look are just stunning, great job on them as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.