Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dear knowledgeable mind of the Geek,

It is time for my wife and I to get another game to play with each other, and we would appreciate your advice. We tend to prefer medium-weight, low-luck eurogames or sometimes abstracts. She's not into sci-fi, horror or political themes. But instead of trying to list preferences, let me just tell you what has worked and what hasn't and you can go from there:

Our favorite 2-player games:

1) Caylus - 0 randomness makes this a winner
2) In the Year of the Dragon - Lots of tension, and a surprising amount of depth for a relatively short play time
3) Goa - Auctions that work well with 2!
4) Hey, that's my fish! - more strategy than might appear at first glance
5) Blokus Duo - simple but satisfying
6) Concordia - very cozy

Honorable Mentions
1) Vikings - Not enthralling, but satisfyingly enjoyable
2) Reef Encounter - I like this a little more than she does; good tension and interesting on-board play
3) Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation - Generally hidden information isn't my thing, but this game is both strategic and thematic. She has more mixed feeling, though.
4) Legends of Andor - Generally we don't go for cooperative games, but this one is engaging enough thematically that we enjoye it
5) Small World - Light and amusing
6) Ingenious

Major Flops
1) Go - I love this, but she detests it. Too abstract.
2) Agricola - At first I liked this, but with each play I began to despise it more and more. Just doesn't have the right kind of interaction - see my comments if you want to know more.
3) Pandemic - One play taught us that we aren't really into cooperative games. Without competition, it's just kind of boring. With other people who like it, this game is fine, but for just the two of us it falls flat.
4) Carcassonne H&G- The randomness in the tile draw makes this very frustrating for me

Finally, games that we both like but don't work well for 2: Puerto Rico, Settlers of Catan, Advanced Civilization, Power Grid, Homesteaders.

Okay, hopefully that's enough data to establish the parameters and come up with some good suggestions. Thanks in advance and I look forwards to hearing what you have to say!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A no luck abstract 2p game my wife and I love is Hive. Should fit with your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork
Targi
Hanamikoji
Any of the GIPF Project
Onitama
Traders of Osaka
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Elendil wrote:

Finally, games that we both like but don't work well for 2: Puerto Rico...

The Puerto Rico 2-p variant is actually pretty good. I would recommend that you try it if you haven't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
Elendil wrote:

The Puerto Rico 2-p variant is actually pretty good. I would recommend that you try it if you haven't.

Agreed, 2P PR had a bad rap earlier in BGG, but I think its got pretty wide acclaim as a solid 2P game nowadays. I certainly believe its a fine 2P game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my wife's and mine absolute favorite Euro-style games to play when we are alone is Rococo. I only bought it because it was a really cheap offer - I thought it would be a unthematic cube-pusher-game with a pasted-on theme that does not appeal to me at all. But I was totally wrong.
It's about running a business in the 18th century, hiring new people and sending them out to do stuff, all to become the most respected tailor. There are always interesting decisions to take. The mechanics are really nice and built around something like deck-building, but you can hand-select the cards you want to have in the next turn... and it's really great looking.

The board has 2 sides: one for 2-3 players and one for 4-5. It works good with all numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Hive
+1 Patchwork
+1 Targi
+1 Puerto Rico + 2-player variant

If you can find it, I would highly recommend Fjords. I'd also recommend Morels (set collection), Tides of Time (2-player drafting that works really well), Arboretum (very thinky with tough decisions), and Matcha (set collection and some bluffing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
A no luck abstract 2p game my wife and I love is Hive. Should fit with your criteria.

I've played hive, and like it reasonably well. I'm not sure if she'd like it, but I was actually planning to pick it up anyways to play with another friend, so I'll certainly try it with her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
pmagnus wrote:
Elendil wrote:

We actually have played it, maybe half a dozen or a dozen times, a few years ago. I prefer the 3/2 over the 3/3 role selection so that no-one gets the back-to-back.
I actually like 2-player Puerto Rico pretty well, and would gladly play it, but she says that whenever she plays it just makes her feel sad that we aren't playing with more people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lowpass wrote:
One of my wife's and mine absolute favorite Euro-style games to play when we are alone is Rococo. I only bought it because it was a really cheap offer - I thought it would be a unthematic cube-pusher-game with a pasted-on theme that does not appeal to me at all. But I was totally wrong.
It's about running a business in the 18th century, hiring new people and sending them out to do stuff, all to become the most respected tailor. There are always interesting decisions to take. The mechanics are really nice and built around something like deck-building, but you can hand-select the cards you want to have in the next turn... and it's really great looking.

The board has 2 sides: one for 2-3 players and one for 4-5. It works good with all numbers.

Interesting suggestion. I played this game once with a local game group, and I strongly disliked it, but that might have been a product of player number. We had 5 players, and my issue with it is that I felt like I spent all of my time waiting around to see whether or not my plans would be destroyed by someone taking what I wanted before I could (which they always were). Very annoying; player interaction in all of the wrong ways (and yet a common mechanism).

However, with two players the dynamic is very different, because of course you are playing directly against each other, and so it wouldn't feel like someone "happened" to take what you wanted; it would be your opponent directly outthinking you. Vikings is like this - I don't really like it at all with 3 or 4 because it feels random and un-interactive, but with 2 players there is more direct confrontation and so it is fine.

I suppose it would depend in part on whether or not the other aspects of the game pulled me in to a sense of direct competition (as Caylus does) or gave the impression that I was "doing my own thing" (as Agricola does). But it is certainly worth revisiting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Patchwork

Battle Line

Jaipur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just looked up Patchwork; that definitely seems like it might be a good option. I think some people in our game group have it, so I might be able to try it out.

Same with Targi - definitely worth investigating further.

The GIPF project I am mildly familiar with, and have sometimes considered picking up Yinsh, but it has never quite made the cut. She would probably be more interested in one of the economic games like patchwork.

Still working on looking up some of the others that have been suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Giménez
Paraguay
flag msg tools
Have you considered 7 Wonders Duel?

It seems to fit your description!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Elendil wrote:
Bearhug78 wrote:

I've played hive, and like it reasonably well. I'm not sure if she'd like it, but I was actually planning to pick it up anyways to play with another friend, so I'll certainly try it with her.

I would suggest getting Hive: Pocket.
It's cheaper, more portable, has a smaller play footprint, and plays just as well if not better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Random Order wrote:
Elendil wrote:
Bearhug78 wrote:

I would suggest getting Hive: Pocket.
It's cheaper, more portable, has a smaller play footprint, and plays just as well if not better.

Thanks for the tip - I wasn't aware of that version, but it might be the one I want. More portable would be major plus, unless the pieces are small enough to interfere with playability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Elendil wrote:
pmagnus wrote:
Elendil wrote:

We actually have played it, maybe half a dozen or a dozen times, a few years ago. I prefer the 3/2 over the 3/3 role selection so that no-one gets the back-to-back.
I actually like 2-player Puerto Rico pretty well, and would gladly play it, but she says that whenever she plays it just makes her feel sad that we aren't playing with more people.

One thing I like to do is to shuffle up the violet buildings and pull out 12 of them randomly (instead of just using one each as per the published 2P rules). I thinks it forces some improvisation and planning that makes it more like a multiplayer game, but I doubt that will get over her desire to play with more humans...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elendil wrote:
We had 5 players, and my issue with it is that I felt like I spent all of my time waiting around to see whether or not my plans would be destroyed by someone taking what I wanted before I could (which they always were). Very annoying; player interaction in all of the wrong ways (and yet a common mechanism).

What I dislike most in the 4- or 5-player game is that the board gets of crowded and it's difficult to keep the overview.
And of course other players destroyed my plans quite often as well, but I always felt like still having some pretty good options left.
Anyway: I would always prefer to play it with 2 or 3 players - and yes, there is a much better interaction between players.

Another game we really, really like is San Juan. It gives you quite a lot for a card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elendil wrote:
Thanks for the tip - I wasn't aware of that version, but it might be the one I want. More portable would be major plus, unless the pieces are small enough to interfere with playability.

No they are perfectly playable, occasionally pieces might end up not being perfectly aligned (which might be less of a problem with bigger heavier pieces but I've only played the pocket version). The tiles similar size to the tiles in Hey, That's My Fish! (but far thicker). It comes with a bag to put the tiles in so will fit in a reasonable sized pocket. It also includes Hive: The Mosquito & Hive: The Ladybug and is cheaper than the full sized version so I think Hive Pocket is the best version for most people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowpass wrote:
Another game we really, really like is San Juan. It gives you quite a lot for a card game.

Race for the Galaxy is the other Puerto Rico inspired card game and is excellent with 2. It does have a Sci-Fi theme though - check out http://racepics.tk/ to see if the theme would be acceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Lowpass wrote:

Race for the Galaxy is the other Puerto Rico inspired card game and is excellent with 2. It does have a Sci-Fi theme though - check out http://racepics.tk/ to see if the theme would be acceptable.

Both of those I've tried. San Juan I found kind of boring - not meaty enough somehow. Race for the Galaxy was better, but in general I'm not really into card games - too much randomness in the draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
This is a risky suggestion - definitely play it first, but Glass Roads might work. It's a Rosenberg but the conflict is much more direct then his other games, especially at 2 players.

There's role selection and you use the roles to maximize your actions while tryinG to actively reduce the number and the effectiveness of the other player's actions. Rah do has a run through if you want to check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finca is a fantastic 2-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you like year of the dragon:
The Castles of Burgundy works really well with 2 players. Or have a look at Bora Bora

In the lighter games i agree with 7 wonders duel or patchwork.

Another option might be to look trough the video's of Rahdo. All his reviews are 2 player games (he plays them with his wife).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thought for you: what about Stronghold (2nd edition)? There is very little luck after setup (canon fire and pole attacks are a card draw from 6-ish card deck, ranged machinery like catapults are a card draw that can be mitigated), and it is a wonderful asymmetric 2-player. I highly recommend it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cookie Monster
Belgium
De Pinte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Hanamikoji Simple, elegant rules yet surprisingly deep. In 15 minutes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.