• [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really tricky.

Yes, I'm a board gamer and yes, I'm a football fan and I know that there are precious few games out there about football/soccer that really work.

The only one that I keep coming back to myself (in fact I'm considering buying a new set to play with my son) is Subbuteo. True, it's really more of a dexterity game than a board game, but it's the best attempt to recapture the feel of a game I've come across.

There have been a few other attempts, but generally they haven't been very satisfactory (in my opinion, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the beginning, there was World Cup Tournament Football, but that was Auswalian <sniff>, and what do they know,
and then the waters parted and we got this one and its six expansions, which is easily the best:-

The World Cup Game

where Angola beats Italy in the final [3-2] after a late kick-off with 17 yellow cards, five penalties, two deflated balls and a concussed referee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
Time of Soccer looks fun - management side of things as well.

I feel like there was another one that had a bit of a retro cartoony feel but I can't remember any details....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Soccer 17
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hyer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an old geeklist, but here's a comparison of soccer games Soccer Finals - My Top 10 Favorite Soccer Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john rees
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something of a sub genre in my collection
My ex teens remain happy to play these

Tactical game of soccer
Soccero (second edition)
Soccer City
Both good sims of a match soccer city doesn't play with 11 men on a team but although this seemed a little of putting you don't notice. Its the more complex of the two, soccero much easier to get into. Both have the flow of a match.

Strategic
The World Cup Game
Great game plenty of expansions has the building excitement of a tournament and although there is obviously elimination, there will be two finalists! Players remain very interested in the outcome from the terraces
Time of Soccer
More of a football management game through a season and cup very good indeed

Card games
Soccer 17
Great little game plays out a short game build it into a tournament with team "abilities" more than two can play at the same time with extra deck
The World Cup Card Game 2010
yes its a card game too plays out very well

And if you want to play a real game, well the board version,
Crash Tackle Rugby Board Game
Just amazing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
I think Soccer City was what I was thinking of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hat-Trick is a rather new game with an interesting card-driven take on football. Together with Hat-Trick: 'Players' Expansion it offer a lot and looks cool.

Check out the (expired) KS campaign to get an idea of the game:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/898321466/hat-trick-car...

It's certainly a bit gamer-y, so it depends on what your teenager likes. If he wants minis on a board, this is not it. But I have the feeling this is more interesting and involving than those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.