$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 117.23

7,116 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
44.8% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Tsuro VS. Tsuro of the Seas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Mac Smit
msg tools
new user
I have been going crazy trying to create my final list of board games for my Christmas Wish List. I have been looking at quite a few games and I've narrowed it down quite a bit but I have a few left that I am having trouble with.

1. Tsuro VS. Tsuro of the Seas
I heard Tsuro of the Seas has much more depth and strategy from a friend but wasn't sure how majority of others felt about it. Im leaning toward Tsuro of the Seas but wanted to make sure it was a game worth my money.

2. Coup VS. Mascarade
In the beginning I was set to buy Coup but was recommended Mascarade. After futher research I found that the to games were very similar but Mascarade had a few more interesting features that people seemed to enjoy. Whatever one I choose I want it to be easy to learn but wildly entertaining.

P.S.
Feel free to leave your favorite board games that you think I should look into to. (1 hour to 1 1/2 hours; Low or medium difficulty)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mac345 wrote:

1. Tsuro VS. Tsuro of the Seas
I heard Tsuro of the Seas has much more depth and strategy from a friend but wasn't sure how majority of others felt about it. Im leaning toward Tsuro of the Seas but wanted to make sure it was a game worth my money.


Tsuro has a smaller board and is simply about you moving around and not crashing into others.

In TotS you have dragons on the board that try to mess with you.
It is missing the "crashing into others" rule but therefor you have the ragons. Additionally you can get a small expansion for Tsuro of the Seas and you can still play regular Tsuro with it.

I'd prefer Tsuro of the Seas.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
both Tsuro's are very simple, and **IMHO** very boring wastes of time. Compare it to a game like Indigo, which is a Toy Shop level "kids" game and you'll see MUCH more game in that. Indigo is great, and really worth getting instead of a Tsuro, which reeks of Emperor's New Clothes to me, just because it's "inside the hobby"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
both Tsuro's are very simple, and **IMHO** very boring wastes of time. Compare it to a game like Indigo, which is a Toy Shop level "kids" game and you'll see MUCH more game in that. Indigo is great, and really worth getting instead of a Tsuro, which reeks of Emperor's New Clothes to me, just because it's "inside the hobby"


I agree. Both Tsuro's have very little replay value. I predict that if you got either one, you wouldn't play it more than 5 times. Indigo is a vastly better example of the path building game.


As to Coup vs Masquerade, Coup is probably better. But I hear Secret Hitler crushes them both.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
both Tsuro's are very simple, and **IMHO** very boring wastes of time. Compare it to a game like Indigo, which is a Toy Shop level "kids" game and you'll see MUCH more game in that. Indigo is great, and really worth getting instead of a Tsuro, which reeks of Emperor's New Clothes to me, just because it's "inside the hobby"


I agree. Both Tsuro's have very little replay value. I predict that if you got either one, you wouldn't play it more than 5 times. Indigo is a vastly better example of the path building game.


I can see that Tsuro can be a good game to, for example, decide what game people play next. Speed play that with a lot of players and then move on to a real game.

And you could look to "step up" even further with Cable Car / Metro
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Moore
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to get a Tsuro game, then Tsuro of the Seas gives you more options and, as mentioned, you can play basic Tsuro using the TotS set. The only reason you'd pick the original is if it's cheaper or if you prefer the neat stone pawns to neat boat pawns.
I keep a copy of Tsuro of the Seas in my collection because it's pretty common for someone to request it when I have people over for a game night.
If you're looking for something a bit more strategic but also about route building, I'd recommend Elfenland or Airlines Europe.
Mascarade is one of our highest rated games. It has a stumbling block where it can be difficult to explain to people because it has some precise rules to follow for a basic card game. However, once you get comfortable with the flow of the game and being able to direct people on what they can do on their turn, I've always found it to be a blast.
Shut Up & Sit Down's video is what initially sold me on this one: https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/the-opener-mascarade...
For that matter, I think a lot of what those guys recommend is worth at least investigating.
Coup is different in that it actively rewards players who are instinctively better at bluffing. There is bluffing in Mascarade, but there is a random nature to the game thanks to the way information can be shuffled about that helps to equalize the playing field for people who aren't so skilled at pretending to be something they're not. That being said, Coup is a good entry-level card game - it's cheap, mechanically sound, aesthetically pleasing, and takes up almost no room on the shelf.
If you're getting Mascarade, absolutely go for the expansion too for increased variability in roles. If you're going for Coup, consider Coup: Rebellion G54, again because of increased replayability.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United Kingdom
Worcester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
both Tsuro's are very simple, and **IMHO** very boring wastes of time. Compare it to a game like Indigo, which is a Toy Shop level "kids" game and you'll see MUCH more game in that. Indigo is great, and really worth getting instead of a Tsuro, which reeks of Emperor's New Clothes to me, just because it's "inside the hobby"


I agree. Both Tsuro's have very little replay value. I predict that if you got either one, you wouldn't play it more than 5 times. Indigo is a vastly better example of the path building game.


While I can't comment on Indigo, I disagree about the replay value of Tsuro/TotS. I've lost count of the number of times I've played it with a really wide range of groups. For a while it became our standard go-to game for lunchtimes at work. It plays quickly, it's not prone to AP, it's pretty relaxing.

I will say that I find Tsuro to be slightly more strategic, due to the fact that there is only one instance of each tile. Tsuro of the Seas has a number of duplicated tiles, so it's more difficult to keep track of what's already been used. Also the sea monsters make the game very random, which I'm not too keen on unless I'm in exactly the right mood.

But it is possible to remove the duplicates and play a "base" Tsuro game with TotS (remembering to use a smaller area on the board), and the sea monsters and expansion add more gameplay options. So if the prices are the same I'd go for TotS (although I prefer the base game artwork!).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
Quote:
I will say that I find Tsuro to be slightly more strategic, due to the fact that there is only one instance of each tile. Tsuro of the Seas has a number of duplicated tiles, so it's more difficult to keep track of what's already been used. Also the sea monsters make the game very random, which I'm not too keen on unless I'm in exactly the right mood.


Agreed. Those dragons add a LOT of randomness and they also make the game much more fiddly. If I'm going to play a light game like this, I prefer the original. That said, I also agree that since you can play the original with TotS's board, it is a bit of a moot point.

I have also played Indigo and, while it is more strategic, I didn't feel like it added enough depth where I'd rave about it like many others do. Both are good games, but I liked having the flexibility of playing with mor e players in Tsuro even at the expense of some decision making.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
savagec wrote:

Agreed. Those dragons add a LOT of randomness and they also make the game much more fiddly. If I'm going to play a light game like this, I prefer the original. That said, I also agree that since you can play the original with TotS's board, it is a bit of a moot point.

It's not that much more fiddly. You just roll some dice and a little over half the time move the dragons around, which take all but 15 seconds to do. Especially if you glue foam core to the back of the dragons so they are easier to pick up and move.

I suggest Tsuro of the Seas as you can play the original. The difference between the two, besides the dragons, is the tiles and board size. Tsuro is a 6x6 grid and the 35 tiles are all 35 unique combinations of paths possible. Seas is a 7x7 grid with duplicates of the tiles then, to account for a bigger board. I put a small dot on the duplicate tiles. If I want to play the original I remove the duplicates using some of them face down to block off a row and column of the grid.

Indigo is great also as others said. However, Tsuro of the Seas can play 8 and you have to deal with the randomness which I like better and makes it more re-playable for me.

I highly suggest getting the expansion for Seas. I never play with the tidal wave and always play with the other modules. The main complaint people have for Tsuro is they don't like the randomness of the dragons. That's what I like. You have to deal with unique situations every game. I find normal Tsuro boring until the board gets close to full as it is just everyone doing their own thing staying away from each other. With Seas the choices are interesting right away as you have to deal with the dragons all the time, not just the other players.

The expansion helps mitigate some of the randomness, though adds some more. It is 4 modules that you can decided which ones to play with. One module adds 5 cannon tiles which can be used to eliminate a dragon if you are about to die from one. If I play with 5 or less I just give everyone one so everyone has one get out of jail free card. Another module is the whirlpool which acts like a dragon but moves when dragons don't move. Then there is the mystic portal tile in which anything that enters it will randomly appear somewhere else on the board. I don't like the tidal wave module. A tidal wave passes through the board, anyone that doesn't roll a high enough die capsizes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.