Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco MacDaddy
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I'm an avid, if somewhat new, TTA player, and I've been playing for a while on BGO (hope it comes back to life soon).

Sometimes (often/almost always) people completely smash me, and I look at their final board and it is so incredibly superior to mine I shed a small bitter tear of shame at my own ineptitude.

So my question is... is it possible to download game logs and study the games move by move, so I can see how top players are approaching the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
On boardgamearena.com you can look at past games (anybody's, not just your own), go through it step by step. But BGA only have the original version of TTA and I don't think you can download the game logs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kameron
msg tools
Hi Marco

I recommend that it is too much to do for now. There really are three seperate games, one per age.

Early (Age A, I and the start of Age II) are about setup
Mid (until early Age III) are about establishing your endagame
Late (Age III/IV) are about those final points

I would recommend focusing on just the early game until you get that sorted. The best way to do that is to look on, say, turn 8 at the status of the board.

Look at spare smileys, yellow pop, science, income on all tracks, military, potential military, and yellow cards in hand.

In midgame - look at potential to score OR potential to conquer

Don't bother looking at Age III if you are being beaten by so much - you were probably beaten in Age I or Age II already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mouldybanana wrote:
On boardgamearena.com you can look at past games (anybody's, not just your own), go through it step by step. But BGA only have the original version of TTA and I don't think you can download the game logs.
But mind you, the "undo" action (taking back all your turn) breaks the replay. Try much older games. According to the bug reports, pressing "ESC" works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can find these on BGO. Click 'Games' -> 'Finished games', and you'll be able to search for any game by player name. Use one of the top players' names to find all their games. Then select a game to look at, and from within that game click 'Play' -> 'View game journal'. Ta-da! The format is a bit clunky, but all the info is there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who are some top players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:

That is a more difficult question.

Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
is the first who comes to mind, but I'm sure there are many others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Charlap
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:

I would say look at the games of people who beat you. If they lose a lot to others, then look at THEM, and so on.

With any luck, there will be a rock-paper-scissors loop of players, so that you can find someone who has a strategy similar to your way of thinking, only executed better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco MacDaddy
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies so far, keep em coming.

I know about the 'journal' feature on BGO, but it just gives a text output of the moves people made. While interesting, it doesn't give the crucial information of the card row at the time. I can't get a good feel for why someone is spending 3 civil actions on 'Joan of Arc' (I haven't seen anyone do this but for example) unless I can see the card row and their board state. Even if I set up my physical copy so I could track their board with some extreme effort, I still couldn't see the card row. Without that info I have very little to go on regarding why people made the decisions they did given the dynamic game-state.

I'm not on BGA, but I don't want to practice on old TTA anyway. I find the changes significant enough between versions that I have to stick to just one to have any chance of 'getting good'.

So... unless I'm wrong then there is pretty much NO way to view previous games if I insist on seeing the card row (and I do).

I hope I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Maloof

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
You're not wrong! What you might do is, when someone trounces you on BGO, ask if they'll do a rematch where you discuss strategy along the way in the chat. I've had people do that with me before, and now they beat me as often as not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to get the full picture from the logs because you don't know the card row available.

I usually discuss strategy/turns during the game as well as at the end. It's fun to chat

If you want to plan out a better strategy, I would look at the strategy forum here. Focus on each age and getting a good idea of what you want to do. There are different goals depending if you plan to win through military, through culture gain, or through impact cards and things can be different between player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:

Let me shorten everyone's search just a bit. I'm not one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.