Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All!

Can you recommend a good game on either of these conflicts?

Size or complexity don't matter. Strategic, Operational, or Tactical ok.

Doesn't need to be currently in print.

Thanks, H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Forteza
Spain
ALCORCON
MADRID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good old IDF from Avalon Hill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Six Day War: 1967 or Days of Battle: Golan Heights depending on what you're looking for, both play solidly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you pick, don't pick Across Suez - bland and unbalanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Middle Ground
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pɹɐɥɔᴉɹ
England
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Careful. There is a minefield around here.
badge
BANG!! Don't step on the mines!
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite is Chinese Farm, from Modern Battles Quad. Others: Golan and The Battle for Jerusalem from the Modern Battles Quad I and II, and S&T 61 October War.

Have got but not yet played Elusive Victory, FAB: Golan '73, and Modern War 25 October War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Crisis: Sinai 1973 is the best on that front in the Yom Kippur war, by a long shot. Not easy to digest though.

Tactically, October War (the old SPI one) is still the sweet spot between playability and decent history, probably the pinnacle of SPI's tactical armor systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bar-Lev: The Yom-Kippur War of 1973 is a fun if somewhat long game.

It's been awhile since I have played it but it was always tons of fun. Covers air and land operations.

Oh and one more thing: purchase sunglasses. You will need them for that garish orange and brown map gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Adey
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIs October War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorites are both SCS games
Yom Kippur and Heights of Courage for the Egyptian and Syrian fronts respectively.

Also, from the tactical level, I still like the old Avalon Hill The Arab-Israeli Wars which was in my opinion the best implementation of the Panzerblitz system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Heights of Courage is a fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPI's Sinai is very good for the Six Day War (1967), but more suitable for a solitaire exercise as it is something of walkover for the Israelis. Ignore the '73 War scenario as the OB has major issues and the rules creates some weird situations. For the '73 War the best as mentioned above is Crisis: Sinai, although there is a bit of a learning curve and it's not a short game. GDW's Suez 73 is worth a look as well, mainly for the unusual system it uses.

In terms of fun games (IMHO the above games aren't exactly fun to play) I would go with MMP's Heights of Courage and Yom Kippur, which are part of the SCS system. There's some quirky things with the system and the set up (as with all SCS games) is a pain in the backside, but they're fast playing and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super lopez
Spain
Berga
Indiana
flag msg tools
Hi,

In my opinion, the six days war is a not balanced war. If the game is a serious game, the arab will be only an sparring.

The Yom Kippur War is much more interesting conflict. But in may opinion, the definitive game about it is not arrived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superlopez wrote:
Hi,

In my opinion, the six days war is a not balanced war. If the game is a serious game, the arab will be only an sparring.

Ummm, not I that fully disagree, but if Operation Focus would have not been the success it was, do you believe that the war would have ended so well? I mean, the war was decided in a few hours, because of the bad organization of the Air Force of Egypt, but an alternative reality where the Air Force of Egypt survives is a world where the Arab armies may not be sparrings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super lopez
Spain
Berga
Indiana
flag msg tools
Hi,

I can agree with you. But, for me, the question is: Is it possible that the Operation Focus do no reach a complete success? In my opinion, if the game is a decent simulation, no. Of course, we can alterate the real conditions of air combat in this war to equilibrate the game; or we can point a victory conditions that do not have nothing to do with a real military victory for the arabs in this conflict. I like the true simulations, so, for me any of this two solutions are satisfactory, but as we say "sobre gustos no hay nada escrito"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superlopez wrote:
Hi,

I can agree with you. But, for me, the question is: Is it possible that the Operation Focus do no reach a complete success? In my opinion, if the game is a decent simulation, no. Of course, we can alterate the real conditions of air combat in this war to equilibrate the game; or we can point a victory conditions that do not have nothing to do with a real military victory for the arabs in this conflict. I like the true simulations, so, for me any of this two solutions are satisfactory, but as we say "sobre gustos no hay nada escrito"

Yes, I have been mulling over your reply. The Israeli leadership was quite nervous about it. In retrospective, the operation that day would always be a succes. You are right.

The only hope of a good what if... is that there are two random events that could have gone very bad for Israel. First of all Jordan did detect the attack and sent warning to Egypt, but Egypt had change codes and did not understand the message. Also Field Marshall Amin had the air defense shut down because he was flying.

Of corse, it is possible to argue that an army so bad organized as too allow these two events would always lost, and I can agree with that.

Yes, Israel would have won indeed. The question is whether they had a littlw extra luck, and whether a game can be interesting if they assume that these two evrnts did not happen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
berto
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crisis sinai
Suez 73

these two are best wargames on yom kippur war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.