Subject: Receiving food rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When you receive a food from a trait, can you only use this food on the same species the trait comes from, or can you use this food on any species?

For example when non-carnivore takes 2 food with intelligence, can they go to other species?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Unless a species has cooperation, it is considered selfish. I.e. it feeds only itself.

EDIT: In your example, intelligence + cooperation would grant the species to the right 1 food from the food bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What about Scavenger and Long Neck? Their wording is distinctly different from other traits.

Compare:

Cooperation - ...Any time this species takes food..
Foraging - ..This species eats 1 additional Plant Food..
Migratory - ..this species takes 2 food..
Nocturnal - ...this species (Carnivore or Non-Carnivore) may take a free feeding..

But:

Scavenger - ...Take 1 Meat Food from the Food Bank...
Long Neck - ...Take 1 Plant Food from the Food Bank...

So it looks that for Scavenger and Long Neck the food taken by player, not by the species, so it can be put on any species the player likes. The rules never say to put it on the same species.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scavenger and Long Neck are specifying where the food comes from (the food bank as opposed to the watering hole) rather than where it goes. Except in the case of cooperation all food goes to the animal that's feeding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Every trait impacts the very species that has it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zespri wrote:
So it looks that for Scavenger and Long Neck the food taken by player, not by the species, so it can be put on any species the player likes. The rules never say to put it on the same species.

What do you think?

The large animal streches its long neck towards the delicious leafs growing on the tree. It opens its mouth, drooling in anticipation of the food it would receive. The nocturnal borrowing small desert mouse has been fed.
There seems to be a gap in this story, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolution is about a dynamic ecosystem in which species are adapting in order to survive and thrive. It was originally created by a biologist as a teaching tool. So you have to think of each species as a separate entity.

You seem to be imagining a civilization type game where everything on your side of the board works together as one civilization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Evolution is about a dynamic ecosystem in which species are adapting in order to survive and thrive. It was originally created by a biologist as a teaching tool. So you have to think of each species as a separate entity.

You seem to be imagining a civilization type game where everything on your side of the board works together as one civilization.

I'm just commenting on the rules wording, that's all. Now the intent is crystal clear, thank you for confirming this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
"Take" is the key word for putting food from the Watering Hole or the Food Bank onto the species that has the "take" keyword.

"This species" is dropped if there is not enough room on the trait. So a trait that says "Take 1 Food" is the same as a trait that says "This species takes 1 Food". We will make it more consistent in the next print run.

Some of the other wordings you noticed are taking about when the effect gets triggered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
"This species" is dropped if there is not enough room on the trait.

Hang on, I was not quoting the cards, I was quoting the rules booklet, are you saying that there is not enough space in the booklet?

domcrap wrote:

We will make it more consistent in the next print run.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha! laugh

Look at the cards. The rule booklet probably follows the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Haha! laugh

Look at the cards. The rule booklet probably follows the card.

So what I'm suggesting is making the wording for all these cards consistent in the rules booklet next time around.

The rules booklet does not just repeat the text on the card, otherwise there would be not point. It explains the text in a greater details. It's a great opportunity to explain everything that did not fit on the card, and making those explanations consistent with each other certainly helps the reader!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, thematically it wouldn't make any sense for a species to get food that doesn't have the trait or is directly affected by it, as indicated by a little arrow (like with cooperation).

So I think it's really pretty clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with someone the other day who was constantly confused by this.

I'm not sure why.

I think there should be a term for the difference between a game like Monopoly where the player is represented by a single piece that stays on the board until they're dead/out and a game like draughts (US: "checkers") where no one specific piece "is" the player - they just own a "pool" of pieces, some of which may have different abilities.

I think this can confuse some people as they are used to the former style of game and instead of thinking of separate animals or separate species, think of all the trait cards as "belonging to them" as a player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.