BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: 2000 AD and the Megazine rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B Rod
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I have recently acquired the entire back catalogue of 2000 AD and Judge Dredd Megazine, and have been working my way through them.

I'm up to prog 750, but I have heard that progs 800 - 1000 are pretty poor.

I didn't start reading them until prog 1000 back in the day. Anyone remember them? Were they good? Should I skip them? Just grit my teeth and get through them?

I have to admit, the quality of 2000 AD varied wildly in the early progs, and stories I thought I'd love turned out to be shite. Seriously, WTF did they do the Harlem Heroes? And Rogue Trooper has been horribly abused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can't say for sure since those issues were after my time but there's bound to be some good stuff in there somewhere because that was how 2000AD worked - there always seemed to be one story I wanted to follow.

As for the early progs, in many cases they looked at what was currently in fashion and tried to jump on the bandwagon. At the time it felt natural but without the rose-coloured spectacles of nostalgia and less knowledge of the period they can look horribly clichéd and out of date.

The later reuse of names purely for name-check reasons smacked of laziness. I believe at one point there was a Harlem Heroes strip that had nothing to do with the originals and didn't feature sport. Why did that ever come to be?

Oh, and Fiends of the Eastern Front would make a great movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
I can't say for sure since those issues were after my time but there's bound to be some good stuff in there somewhere because that was how 2000AD worked - there always seemed to be one story I wanted to follow.

As for the early progs, in many cases they looked at what was currently in fashion and tried to jump on the bandwagon. At the time it felt natural but without the rose-coloured spectacles of nostalgia and less knowledge of the period they can look horribly clichéd and out of date.

The later reuse of names purely for name-check reasons smacked of laziness. I believe at one point there was a Harlem Heroes strip that had nothing to do with the originals and didn't feature sport. Why did that ever come to be?

Oh, and Fiends of the Eastern Front would make a great movie.
Ahh Fiends of the Eastern Front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm struggling to remember which series were in their heydey during which progs, although I think it's true to say most of the their long term stuff went off the rails at one point or another.

Did Zenith Phase IV come before or after that range? Others that stuck with me (beyond the early classics like Robo Hunter and The VCs) were Nikolai Dante, Sinister Dexter and the various Indigo Prime stories.

The megazine was very uneven as I recall. Sometimes it added additional 'adult' dimensions to the Dredd mega-epic du jour, other times it was a dumping ground for reprints (although it did introduce me to Preacher, and by extension Garth Ennis' Punisher and The Boys, so it had that going for it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I've never had any interest in the Megazine, and the few times I've peered into it it appeared to be rubbish (even compared to the alleged low point for the weekly in the 90s), and, worse, non-comic material shake

But at least I haven't missed anything by not reading it. Or at least until recently, when Brit-Cit blew up Dredd... - decidedly unhappy about that cross-over decision, and the one that has artificially made prog 2000 a rarity in physical form (and fed the scalpers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.