A Feast for Odin» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Like slipping on a comfy pair of slippers. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris keeley
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Uwe's latest and greatest looks simply sumptuous adorning your board gaming table. The components are great and the actual set up time is made all the more efficient with the two trays. Great idea. Everything in the box is of the highest quality. The three accompanying booklets Are evidence that this game is going to be stellar. The occ cards are a wee bit small and it's got the ubiquitous wood, stone etc but nonetheless you are clearly going to be Vikings for the next 90-120 minutes.

You are going to explore new lands with various boats. You are going to trade your way to a better life. You are pillaging bling from foreign powers. You can hunt and rear animals. You will build houses and great halls for your tribe. You can attend the local market for food stuff.

Just everyday Viking life minus any hassle or violence involved. It's all frightfully civilised. Even your hunting trips that go awry get awarded. Trading up appears to be a snap. There is never a bear market. Traders always want your stuff for seemingly inferior goods. Okay it's just a minor gripe.

Make no mistake this is no Agricola. With a two or three player count that is the very definition of board game violence. You are struggling to get an engine going whilst nervously sweating over what meagre resources your fellow players are going to leave behind. Taking first player really matters as going last can be crippling.

Having only played Feast against the wife I'm not yet in a position to comment on play at higher counts. At the moment of all Uwe's games this feels closest to Fields of Arle. There is little in the way of blocking. I could care less where my wife goes. If I need to I'll just go on a similar action spot albeit using one extra worker. I'll even get or play an occ card for my troubles.

Building is nothing like Agricola. Akin to sitting your A- levels. Think how hard you've worked to build another room, feed your family or fence off three or four pastures. Here it take takes only one(!) wood to build a ship. A couple to build a house or the best boat etc And its relatively easy to pick up with no real pressure applied. Someone said there may be a race to obtain the various islands and I can see that. They provide useful income and resource boosts, therefore it may be difficult to win without one in your possession.

The puzzle element of orientating your green and blue resources is not so difficult either. You get used to that and after the initial novelty it becomes just fiddly. You will be puzzling over this and losing interaction with your opponent further still i.e. Your respective heads will be down ignoring each other.

I need to play with three or four for more insight. Even if it is multi player Fields of Arle this will still be an amazing achievement. There is everything here I love in thematic Euros. Perhaps the sheer number of action spaces is the game's single design flaw. And for some, I suspect the majority, it's all good. In fact it's amazing. A masterpiece. Last night's game ended in a 124pt draw despite our different strategies. Thank you Uwe for another classic.

The kicker for me at the moment is the palpable lack of tension. The feast is just too easy to prepare. And getting stuff is no problem either. Thinking about the game it's clear for me that six rather than seven rounds may prove optimal. That may nudge Feast more towards Agricola levels of tension. I'll try that next time and hopefully find it more unpleasant/engrossing to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would definitely say to wait until you've played 3 or 4 times before judging the tension too much. Scores will continually rise as you get better, and players may eventually learn that some spots are important to compete over.

Also, the game is much more satisfying with 7 rounds in my opinion because you can get so much more done in terms of filling boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Explore three times and fill all three boards. Then see if you like the tension.

It can be done, but it's tense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Echoing the above, if you aren't feeling tension then you aren't pushing yourself hard enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Becker
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review! I'm very excited to get my copy and to try this out. I loved Agricola in many ways, but the tightness and forced tension really killed it for my SO. I think that in this game, since you have the option to ramp up and to create your own tension to improve your score, she will enjoy herself much more. Plus, I totally love the puzzling aspect to it. And I think the action spaces are actually quite manageable, since they are broken down into a limited amount of distinct categories.

Very excited. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Besaw
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
So c-c-c-c-old!
mbmbmbmb
klinsy73 wrote:
The kicker for me at the moment is the palpable lack of tension.

Love this line! Thanks for your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct that getting your Vikings fed is never really a problem.

For me, the feast is a very important tension point because it forces me to decide which tiles I'm going to sacrifice rather than upgrading and putting on my board(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.