Subject: Smite and Tropical water world rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hello,

I'm wondering, Smite is really tough, you can suffer 5 smites... So throw to the trash your Refugia... It seems to be too much i think, can break the game...

Tropical water world : i saw this pop out from the event deck and... no aftershock after that... So we lost terrestrial refugia... Too tough i think, break the game too.

What are you thinking about ?

I'm going to remove 2 "smites cards" all the time, one with the 3 smites and another (random) with one smite, so only one smite can occur.

And i'm going to remove the Tropical water world until a new aftershock happens or after 2 rounds with it in play. Because if Tropical water world stay it's too tough to lost terrestrials Refugia and not thematic if the effect is working too long...

Any comment ? I'm interested in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
mb
life is tough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mb
sure But in a game life must be fun too I think the game is tough enough and thematic, i have no problem with that, i like it, but destroying Refugia... I'm not sure, one time OK (because some refugia can resist to smite) but not more. For tropical water world : the active/inactive mechanism is good, but with tropical water world, removing terrestrials... for... maybe a long time, it's not thematic for me and can have a bad side effect : some players can't play for several rounds...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a design goal to likely trash all manna sometime during the final Proterozoic Era. This serves a historic purpose, since all biological building blocks would have been consumed by then. It serves a game purpose too, giving the players a time limit on launching life, with only an idea of when that limit would expire.

The tropical waterworld was intended to give the possibility to show what Earth would be like if plate tectonics shuts down, as it seems to have done for a billion years on Earth for reasons not well understood. Again I wanted the players to have some idea what to expect, without knowing how long it would last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night, we had a tropical waterworld, followed by runaway greenhouse earth the following 200M years and the game was over.

For me, the fun is in learning the science, and simulating an alternate, yet possible natural history. So I like striving against the difficulty of the game.

If you want to house rule how smites and tropical waterworld works, go for it. It's your game, and if it is fun for you, you're not doing it "wrong".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game as is - in a session the other day, we had to deal with a 4 smite event along with a tropical waterworld while the cosmic and ocean refugia decks were empty (fortunately coastal was well-stocked).

Really gave a sense of the struggle for life and the significant challenges that had to be faced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mb
Where do you live ? You are the players i'm looking for I could play with smites but not my friends and smites...

Anyway, first, thanks Phil for your answer, Smites in proterozoic era make sens, and you have to bring live to... live before proterozoic, so it's thematic (no more space to fill in proterozoic era, life is here). But 3 smites card in the 2 firsts era... i not agree... I'm going to try to remove the 3 smites card and see.

For the tropical water world, yes it's fun to imagine earth without tectonic, but it wasn't happen on earth, it happens on planets where there is no more life... I think i can play with it but not my friends...

So, removing the first smite cards and not inactive terrestrials refugia more than 2 rounds make the game easier to find players...

And don't misunderstand me, i know one of my friend doesn't agree, but you did a great game Phil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.