Subject: PLASTIC TOKEN SET, SHOULD I WANT IT? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ordered the game and am now drooling over all the extra stuff that is available for it.

So I stumbled upon this plastic tokens set and as it says above, wondered if this is something I should want.

Is there something amiss with the stuff in the box?
Sort of seems like something that should have been included in the first place.

Like them doors, they look great and part of me wants them.
But they are expensive and it seems like a better idea to spend the money on more monsters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, if it is a question of either plastic tokens or more zombies, I very definitely recommend more zobies

this is the order, I would buy them:
- the wolfsburg expansion and hero pack 1
- then the extra abominations,
- then the crowz and/or deadyes
and then anything else.

the plastic tokens look just like the cardboard tokens.

I prefer gameplay additions over visual upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a matter of taste perhaps. But one thing, you may want to check out some of the other threads here. There have been complaints that the paint scheme on the back of the objective tokens makes it easy to tell which ones are the blue and green X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
It's a matter of taste perhaps. But one thing, you may want to check out some of the other threads here. There have been complaints that the paint scheme on the back of the objective tokens makes it easy to tell which ones are the blue and green X.

Only on some sets, I think. Mine are just fine, I've seen reports of others saying they had no issues either. Best not to order those online, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LX1986 wrote:
well, if it is a question of either plastic tokens or more zombies, I very definitely recommend more zobies

this is the order, I would buy them:
- the wolfsburg expansion and hero pack 1
- then the extra abominations,
- then the crowz and/or deadyes
and then anything else.

the plastic tokens look just like the cardboard tokens.

I prefer gameplay additions over visual upgrades.

Thanks, really helpfull to have an idea of what to get first.

As said I've just ordered the basegame and as I understand it Wolfsburg is an expansion which makes things harder?

So would it not be more logical to buy the other stuff first and than attempt the more challenging expansion?

Or are the extra monster meant to be used with the expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
There are weapons in Wulfsburg that make the game much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh the dragonfire thingies, read about them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my take on the OP:

Speaking personally, I love having the extra bits and pieces (including more Zs of course). But, mostly, that's because I see things like tokens as an overall game upgrade.

The practical reason for getting the tokens is their durability at the table. Particularly for games that hit the table frequently. However, there are other ways to improve your token durability at the table, namely the following -

1) Use a sharpie along the edges of the stock tokens (This removes the unsightly cardboard edge color.

2) Run a bead of white glue (like Elmer's) around the outside edges of the tokens. Let it sink in. (This will help seal the inked part, but will also help keep the tokens from fraying).

3) Let the tokens dry thoroughly.

4) Optional... Make a 50/50 mix of water and white glue and seal the faces of the tokens.

Really the first three steps should be sufficient to significantly improve the longevity of your tokens *IF* you expect to play a lot. If nothing else, this can give you peace of mind while you slowly build up your collection of additional Heroes and or Zombies prior to adding bells and whistles like plastic tokens and doors.

That said, I have found that the stock tiles actually hold up fairly well anyway, unless they are seriously mistreated. But again, I love plastic, so I buy this kind of thing anyway.

Also, anecdotally, my set of plastic tiles does not seem to have the problem with reading colored Xs through the backs.

So, short answer; I like the look and feel of the plastic, so for me there is value in that, but the Plastic Tokens are by no means a necessity and will NOT enhance game play the way more critters and heroes will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:
Carcking wrote:

Only on some sets, I think. Mine are just fine, I've seen reports of others saying they had no issues either. Best not to order those online, I guess.

Mine are also fine, I think it is really luck of the draw, agreed better to buy in-store than online

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
YES. :-)

In all seriousness, I like them. They're not necessary, but they're fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, thanks I'll keep them on my, purchase later list, like the doors and go for the monster sets now.

Do you think the wulf expansion will make things to complicated.
Obviously it'll be a while untill we get to that one, but ....

I'm I mad to go for it now and is it better to try again next year when I've mastered the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
I'm I mad to go for it now and is it better to try again next year when I've mastered the base game?

I'd add the deadeyes and special abominations first, for variety. They're the less fiddly enemy add-ons and they really force you to adopt different strategies depending on what you're facing.

Wulfsburg, you can leave until later. The "Very dangerous enemies"/"Very powerful weapons" combo adds a lot of variance to games based on luck of the draw. You might get it in the end, but no pressure, it's still going to be around after you experiment a bit with the rest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merci...

now fingers crossed that I'm able to resist buying it all...laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulfsberg comes with 4 new heros, 21 wulfs and a wolfabomination (which is awesome), two new tiles, and 10 new scenarios! You don't need to add it right away, but it is definitely the most bang for your buck, expansion wise. Imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And lets be realistic, who can resist awesome. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sena
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I backed this game on KS (so already had all the zombies and tons of extra survivors), but the one thing I didn't buy then was the 3D door set. Picked it up on a whim a couple of weeks ago and my gf and I both love being able to easily see what doors are left to open.

IMO it really adds alot visually, although not much for gameplay of course..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I, personally, love the Wolfsburg set. I think it's well worth it. (Of course I was all in on the ks so...)

I'd get it before the deadeyes myself. Of course I like the shiny magic weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Livett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We got pretty much everything.

The plastic tokens and 3D doors really impressed our casual gamer friends.

Not really worth the money, just bought them because I wanted them.

Will probably go and buy the same for the original game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The plastic token set is a clear pass. I got two of them (the first with the KS delivery and the second one as a replacement).

The printing scheme is really bad. You CAN easily tell which are the green and blue markers and because of that - you really do not need them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.