34.7% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm trying to explore the blind bidding mechanic, which tends to be very polarizing. I've seen a lot of people specifically complaining about this mechanic and I'm trying to understand why.

Which games do Blind Bidding well?

Which games are examples of Blind Bidding that fails?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of blind bidding, but here are three games that I enjoy even though they have blind bidding.

Container - The fact that the end value of the auction is a known amount for each player keeps the bids in a reasonable range. If the bids are too low, the auctioneer can buy it themselves. However, if a new player bids too much on an auction, it can damage the game balance.

Scythe - This game has the worst kind of blind bidding; you lose your bid regardless of whether you win or lose. However, this game works because it is not about the auction (combat). Instead it is about the threat of combat. There are actually very few combats in the game, but the threat of it guides your play.

Dream Factory - In this blind bidding game, it has a closed economy. No new money is added to the game and money is not removed. The winner of the auction pays the amount out to the losers. This means if you are constantly losing auctions, eventually, you will have all the money and can win them easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.