Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lame Weeble
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What follows is a session report that thought it was a review. It's my first of either, at any rate. And dear reader, we're just a couple of people talking about games, you and me, so whatever, right?

Last night, my spouse and I played two games of Tsuro of the Seas, for my birthday. It was pretty fun. We each won a game. Incidentally, the game that I lost was the most fun for me. I was pressed in by daikaiju for almost the entire duration of the game, and even almost got myself stuck on an infinite loop, until my spouse told me the rules prevented such intentional shenanigans. (But I’d never seen an infinite loop before. And it’s my birthday. Don’t come at me with your ‘rules.’ Anyway.)

My spouse and I are Tsuro veterans; we’ve played dozens of games on the iOS app, which is probably ultimately superior, though I’m really splitting hairs. It’s just the two of us, and two player Tsuro requires me to do a lot of extra curricular stuff, like building creative paths, to pass the time before we fill the board enough to make tactics interesting. But the app removes all tile fiddling and also offers the loops and longest path variants, which are fun. So the app has a lot to offer, primarily if you can gather up more than one opponent.

The cardboard version does offer great tactile experience. The tiles are nice, and the ships are fun to move, and I cannot yet seem to move a ship without making ‘whoosh’ sounds. And the board and components are so much prettier in person than on my iPhone. And dice - I prefer games with an obvious element of randomness, as I find the presence of randomness an excellent diffuser of hard feelings at the end of a close game. I was definitely in the dice rolling mood last night.

To close, I look forward to crowding the board with more players. And I also look forward to painting up the ships, as the primary reason I requested the game for a birthday present was that this is to be my first lab rat as I learn to paint miniatures. It’s a definite bonus that I know my spouse enjoys the game, and it’s going to be one of the primary stepping stones when the time comes to move our now 4 and 2 year-olds from kid games to grown-up games. So, Tsuro of the Seas was fun. This game is much lighter than my ideal game, but it will be easy to get to the table with our current group of gaming friends, and it will be a hit, all of which I ultimately value more than my personal preference. Having the fun - that’s the thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Pinckard
United States
Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Glad to hear you enjoyed your first play- on your birthday especially (sounds like it was a good one!)! I have really enjoyed it around the 4 player mark especially. In the really large games with like 7 players, it seems that the first 2 or 3 only got a turn or two in before a daikaiju (forgive me, I forgot the spelling) showed up and wrecked house.

I personally love the expansion "Veterans of the Seas" and then when once there's only like 5 people in the game everyone picks up a cannon tile (allows you to shoot a daikaiju that lands on you). Takes away a little bit of the randomness.

Another variant I have tried is taking away one vertical and horizontal column and not using the monsters if you want to play the original Tsuro rules but with the ship-hearty theme.

Cheers to more great games! And nice to see that your heart is in making other people happy and having all fun together and not just filling your own agenda!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Khan
msg tools
mbmbmb
My 5yr old really liked the game by the way. I don't play aggressively against him but you could try and have him/her play around with the tiles, forming paths, avoiding dragons - lost of stuff to enjoy and get kids into serious gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.