11 Posts

War of the Ring (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: fellowship player limited strategies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
georgios
Greece
flag msg tools
after a few plays i have the feeling that shadow player can choose from many strategies but fellowship is limited to moving frodo and reacting to shadow choices just to defend. i find fellowship gameplay significantly less intresting

anyone feeling the same way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever attempted a Free People Military Victory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i've had success - and a lot of fun - being very aggressive as the FP player. The goal isn't necessarily a military victory (although I did come close once) but, like the books/films, being aggressive with battles helps divert SP resources and buys time for the Fellowship. Add one or both expansions and your "tool kit" becomes much more varied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
georgios
Greece
flag msg tools
expansions add complexity?

- what are the chances to win without frodo?
- you need luck or just a perfect strategy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kukugames wrote:

what are the chances of the free people in the books to win without Frodo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kukugames wrote:

they do add some complexity but they also add additional options or tools for both sides to achieve victory.

and yes, for the FP to achieve a military victory you're going to need some luck (cards, dice rolls, etc) and a very well thought out strategy that's flexible enough to counter whatever the SP player does. Again, really tough to do but definitely not impossible.

Helps if you're playing a SP n00b too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
I like playing with the free peoples better. There are a lot of things you can do to buy time for Frodo and increase his odds of a ring dunk (and that is without getting a military victory.) You can do a lot of maneuvering to waste time for the shadow player. You can also build up large armies to threaten shadow strongholds, retake lost strongholds or kill armies with nazgul/minions to knock them out of the game. It's very thematic since really the only way for the good guys to win was for Frodo to toss in the ring. But the rest of middle earth played the decoy/distraction game quite well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
georgios
Greece
flag msg tools
reemer wrote:
kukugames wrote:

and yes, for the FP to achieve a military victory you're going to need some luck (cards, dice rolls, etc) and a very well thought out strategy that's flexibly enough to counter whatever the SP player does. Again, really tough to do but definitely not impossible.
most off the ppl i play with, play to win. its not easy to suggest them to try a risky strategy that needs luck, in a 5+hour game

that combined with the fact that its realy hard to get it to tha table

thanks for the tips thought, made me wona to play it now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As you've probably read in the forums, the extremes of Free Peoples strategies are Ring sprint (rush to Mordor before the Shadow conquers 10 VPs, keeping a weather eye on Corruption) and military blitz (grab 4 VPs before the Shadow locks in a win). The beauty of the game for me is the dance in the middle, where either victory option is still potentially available but never 100% certain to either player. Although this sounds simplistic, no two games are entirely alike. This playthrough may give you a better feel for the game's potential and narrative tension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You just need to play against me.

Everytime I play Shadow, I lose through military defeat. I have lost by strongholds falling in the North and the South and surprise assaults on Orthanc.

Yeah, I pretty much suck, but you have a great FP experience against me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
kukugames wrote:
fellowship is limited to moving frodo

Moving Frodo how often? That's the real choice. The FP dictates the pace of the game by how often they try to move the fellowship. The Shadow has some influence on that by how many eyes they choose to put in the box, but if they put too many then the fellowship won't even try to move and they are crippling their military progress and gifting the FP time to defend.

Then there's the choice of what to do with companions - split them off early and get both Gandalf the White and Aragorn? Go for the obvious Gandalf sacrifice then crown Strider? Or keep them all in the fellowship, move at very opportunity and use all the companions to soak up corruption?

Quote:
and reacting to shadow choices just to defend.

Early on this is prudent unless you have a set of cards and dice which really favour military action. But later on you will almost certainly see opportunities for counterattack provided the Ringbearers are doing well, because the SP will need to devote actions and cards to slowing the Fellowship and is likely to neglect their defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.