Keith Little
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Warning - Spoilers

At the end of scenario 3 I chose the following:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I sacrificed Lita to Umordhoth which gave me physical and mental trauma as well as a new weakness.

Does that mean the campaign will be continued? Do you get to use the same decks along with
the new trauma and experience

to play through the base campaign again starting at scenario 1? Not sure the purpose of
recording the trauma in the campaign log

if it's the end and you are going to build new decks anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can continue to use the same characters in other campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CletusVanDamme wrote:

Sure, since it's your game.

FFG's plan seems to be that characters are intended to be dropped and remade at the start of each new campaign.

But! There are the POD scenarios which can artificially extend a campaign, including the Night of the Zealot with Curse of the Rougarou right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually there's a mode in the game where you keep characters from campaign to campaign until they die.

Look up 'hardcore mode', I believe it's in the reference book but could be in learn to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Yeah, the option to go into campaigns with experience characters is official, if maybe not exactly baseline intended.

Instead of just being mechanonarrative flavor, punching some trauma and stuff in your face at campaign conclusion is probably a mechanism to balance against this.

You know, in a "you may do this, but you don't want to" fashion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering most of the resolutions in scenario three taking your character into the new campaign with all their traumas, weaknesses and experience may be a bonus or may be a hindrance. Certainly my Roland from my first play through was about to go insane if he took one more mental trauma so he wouldn't be too fit to continue on to the next campaign

That said I like that they allow you to continue if you want. I think most of the time I'll be more excited about trying something different than continue on with the same deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Little
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
miloshot wrote:
CletusVanDamme wrote:

FFG's plan seems to be that characters are intended to be dropped and remade at the start of each new campaign.

But! There are the POD scenarios which can artificially extend a campaign, including the Night of the Zealot with Curse of the Rougarou right now.

Yeah I get that I *can* continue if I want to, but does the game break if I do? I suppose I could keep upping the difficulty. The last paragraph of the campaign book seems almost contradictory. Says you can keep the investigators for further campaigns or play on a higher difficulty. Does the "or" in the sentence mean they can play either, or keep the characters OR use new ones with a higher difficulty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Little
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
CletusVanDamme wrote:
Actually there's a mode in the game where you keep characters from campaign to campaign until they die.

Look up 'hardcore mode', I believe it's in the reference book but could be in learn to play.

I'm looking for hardcore mode but can't seem to locate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kdlittle88 wrote:
miloshot wrote:
CletusVanDamme wrote:

Yeah I get that I *can* continue if I want to, but does the game break if I do? I suppose I could keep upping the difficulty. The last paragraph of the campaign book seems almost contradictory. Says you can keep the investigators for further campaigns or play on a higher difficulty. Does the "or" in the sentence mean they can play either, or keep the characters OR use new ones with a higher difficulty?

I read it as just listing 2 possible options - if you want a harder experience, you could do the same thing again with a nastier chaos bag. Or you could take these already scarred folk, with their trauma and their additional weaknesses, and launch them into the new campaign.

Of course, you could take these characters, and launch them into the new campaign with a nastier chaos bag - with the current card pool though, that sounds like it might be a bit too nasty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kdlittle88 wrote:
CletusVanDamme wrote:

I'm looking for hardcore mode but can't seem to locate it.

It's not in the Rules Reference. It would be in the campaign guide. If I recall correctly there is some language at the end of the core campaign guide that implies you could carry over your investigators if wanted. I suspect The Dunwich Legacy campaign guide might have some language in the beginning talking about it.

That said the game is geared primarily toward you building new decks at the beginning of the campaign. So if you want the cleanest experience that would be the way to go. Though they did assume any scenario can be played with a leveled up deck in the Standalone rules so I don't think bringing your leveled up characters into a new campaign will be game breaking. In the case I talked about earlier with my Roland whose sanity is hanging by a thread I think he's gonna have an extremely hard time surviving the whole campaign though, but the game has rules for starting a new investigator mid-campaign so that doesn't really break anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Little
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I have a Roland and Agnes duo going and I'm tempted to have another go at it, warts and all but just up the difficulty one notch.

On a total side note, this is an amazing game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
Likely what I will do, and what FFG expects most to do is a fresh start for each campaign.

If that is so, what was the point of all the traumas and new weaknesses?

Role playing your epilogue.

Where Roland's colleagues noted that after that stint in Arkham, Roland was never the same again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Kdlittle88 wrote:
Does that mean the campaign will be continued? Do you get to use the same decks along with

to play through the base campaign again starting at scenario 1?

Talk about your cosmic horror. Imagine that: You finally manage to survive and save Arkham from the incomprehensible threat... and then you wake up back in your study. You look up and realized that the door has vanished again, the ghouls are coming back, and Lita Chantler is standing in your parlour, with no recollection of the previous events. You rush outside and look at the paper--It bears the same date and headline as it did last night. Somewhere, beyond the human conception of space, Nyarlathotep roars with laughter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh R
United States
mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
rsdockery wrote:
Kdlittle88 wrote:

to play through the base campaign again starting at scenario 1?

Talk about your cosmic horror. Imagine that: You finally manage to survive and save Arkham from the incomprehensible threat... and then you wake up back in your study. You look up and realized that the door has vanished again, the ghouls are coming back, and Lita Chantler is standing in your parlour, with no recollection of the previous events. You rush outside and look at the paper--It bears the same date and headline as it did last night. Somewhere, beyond the human conception of space, Nyarlathotep roars with laughter...

oh god pls no let my rowland be free he has been through enough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
"Udmordhoth, I've come to bargain."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.