Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Diary Affect Timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Seglem
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
If an ally which causes health to be gained is played while the diary is out which affect happens first? When the player is at 1 health the order really matters. If the Diary resolves first, then the player is stunned and the ally does not help. If the ally resolves first then the player avoids the stun. I was interpreting it where, when you play a card, any outside trigger resolve before it resolves. Like the stack in MTG, but my wife was very unhappy with that interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The majority of the rule clarifications that have come down from Andrew have worked against the players, so I am inclined to say that the diary triggers before the ally. Similarly, a recent post that clarified order of resolution of cards put Horcruxes above player cards.

The only saving grace I can offer you in this situation is that you only lose half the cards in your hand when you are stunned. Cards in the play area do not factor into your discard requirements. There have been a couple of times when I was willing to accept the penalty of being stunned in order to play an ally, so the trick in these situations is to play all of your other cards first and then play the card that will stun you. You still have to drop a control token, but you dodge the discard penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Seglem
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Right, timing the stun is important. So play all the other cards possible first to avoid the discard penalty. I think she had done that and it came down to the next move was going to cause her damage, no matter what she did, she just hoped to avoid the stun by healing with an ally. I didn't think she could, but wanted to get additional input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
davypi wrote:
The majority of the rule clarifications that have come down from Andrew have worked against the players, so I am inclined to say that the diary triggers before the ally. Similarly, a recent post that clarified order of resolution of cards put Horcruxes above player cards.

The only saving grace I can offer you in this situation is that you only lose half the cards in your hand when you are stunned. Cards in the play area do not factor into your discard requirements. There have been a couple of times when I was willing to accept the penalty of being stunned in order to play an ally, so the trick in these situations is to play all of your other cards first and then play the card that will stun you. You still have to drop a control token, but you dodge the discard penalty.

That is correct. The Diary trigger would cause the Hero to be stunned before the Ally's abilities resolve, but at least you can play out your cards in hand so you don't have to suffer the discard effects of being stunned. There have been occasions where it was advantageous to get Stunned on your turn instead of waiting until another players turn, to soften the blow a bit :)

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.