Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tammy Golden
United States
Newark
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would appreciate some recommendations for a board game to get my sister and brother-in-law. They're fairly new to board games, but they enjoy playing them and would like to build up their collection. It's usually just the two of them playing. They have a three year old and another kid on the way, so shorter games are probably best

Here's what they already own:
Pandemic
Ticket to Ride
Sushi Go
Catan
Carcassonne

Games I'm Considering:
CV
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Lords of Waterdeep (I'm a little concerned about the theme of this; they were both raised in super conservative Christian homes with the mindset that DnD (or anything with witchcraft or wizards) is Satanic, although they have changed their stance on that with other things (such as Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc.)
Patchwork - if I get this, I'd like to get another small game to go with it
Power Grid (with Robots expansion since it will be played mostly with two players)
Suburbia - they played this when they were visiting us and my brother-in-law loved it but I'm not sure how my sister felt about it

Any other recommendations or thoughts on my current ideas would be appreciated! They're not big on Zombies, and I don't think they'd like Cthulhu, so any games with those themes are a definite no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey, if you're worried about the theme of lords of waterdeep, you could maybe try Stone Age instead.

We like carcassonne and games that give us the same feel are Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King and Seeland.

I have CV, but to be honest, it never really comes out. Maybe The Pursuit of Happiness instead

Others will have to advise you more on other games as I like different games to most the ones mentioned so prob wont give you suggestions they like lol!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gumbrell
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Burgle Bros by Tim Fowers.

Elements of Pandemic, with a heist theme.

Or

Machi Koro (with harbour expansion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Lords of Waterdeep but I wouldn't take the risk. To some degree I also find it fairly similar to TTR.

+1 Patchwork
+1 Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King

Morels
Odin's Ravens (second edition)
Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise
Hive
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is for Patchwork and you said you'd want a second small game for them... I would add in Hanabi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goldring
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Winter is coming...
mbmbmbmbmb

+1 for Patchwork - it's a great game for couples & it's quick. Any parent can appreciate that kids can call your attention at any moment... Knowing this is a game you can play in about 20 minutes is a huge bonus.

Knowing too that they have little gamers on the way up suggests in my mind you might consider more dice games. Kids love dice. Dice also mititgate the edge you have as an adult over them... So maybe consider a game like King of Tokyo, Age of War, or Zombie Dice (in descending order of difficulty).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb

Amazing game. It has a bit of a setup time but the game can last as little as 20 minutes. I highly recommend this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Vestal
United States
Orland Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The list of games they own is very similar to the exact games that my wife likes.

Seems like they might have similar personalities/be into similar games. Here are a few more she really enjoys that might be helpful:
Forbidden Desert - Fun for a couple because it's cooperative. Nice change of pace from competing against each other.
Dominion
Stone Age

Stone Age may not be as good for two players but I believe it's possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sorry, hadn't realised stone age was not good with two. Maybe for worker placement like lords of waterdeep type of thing, you could try Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small instead with cute little animeeples and was designed for two players?

Oh and I did see a nice looking one about bees the other day - Waggle Dance??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Pavestal wrote:
The list of games they own is very similar to the exact games that my wife likes.

Seems like they might have similar personalities/be into similar games. Here are a few more she really enjoys that might be helpful:
Forbidden Desert - Fun for a couple because it's cooperative. Nice change of pace from competing against each other.
Dominion
Stone Age

Stone Age may not be as good for two players but I believe it's possible.

+1 forbidden desert because it's just that fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Oh and I saw you liked survive and is one of your favourite games, you should give The Downfall of Pompeii a go as you should like this also, we prefer it to survive actually
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork($20.25) and Biblios($14.66) for sure.

Cardhaus has both of them on sale right now.

Biblios is really good at all player counts.

Battleline($13.49) is another good option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Giménez
Paraguay
flag msg tools
+1 Dominion (Second Edition)

My girlfriend and I really enjoy 7 Wonders Duel too!

Also, I think you should considere giving a Carcassonne Expansion, they are so cool and cheap!
Like Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals or Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders (I would pick the Inns and Cathedrals first)

I apologizefor my English!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.