Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if anyone has ever come up with a "full exploration" variant, in which only one tile is revealed at the beginning (say, the Inn), and then the other tiles are placed as players explore out.

I understand it would require substantial changes to the way the daily activities are planned and it might tip the balance heavily in favour of characters with higher mobility. In addition, there would be several more problems with connectedness of the different paths, who decides how to orient the tiles, and so on.

Even with all these difficulties, I think it would make exploration even more exciting, particularly with quests.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hidden Realm rules

this isnt it, itself, but has a link, and a file, etc. Anyways, the "hidden realm" is what it was called. Very fun sounding. I looked it up once. definitely dangerous though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
also to note: this requires a GM. (the full board would be laid out to the GM, but the information available to players is limited)

Might aid into making a true (non GM) variant though.

I imagine pre-setting warning/sound/site chits without tiles, just lined up face down. When you move off, you draw a random tile. moving to caves/mountains would have to have special rules (failed movement or "first step free" probably).

Let us know if you try it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks QJ!

This Hidden Realm variant has a lot of ideas that would be useful for what I had in mind, for example what happens when a character moves into a new tile, and PEERing into undiscovered tiles. I will look at it in detail and, if I can come up with something that sounds reasonable, give it a shot and report back :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Flores
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Realmspeak has the ability to automatically setup magic realm tiles. I wonder if Realmspeak could be modified to "spit out" the results of its automated realm setup algorithm. The results would have to be formatted to hide the full results but provide links to the tiles on-demand. In this way a player could look-up the connections that were needed as they were required for play.

Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.