Kevin Barrington
United States
Friendswood
Texas
flag msg tools
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Activating tablets
I think in our campaign I have been cheating the whole time but I can't find any rules regarding the activation of tablets. Early on I obtained the tablet that says you can activate it at any time to activate a colony. I have been using this each game during the first step of Winter, so that I get the colonies gold harvest as well as the resource harvest that first winter.

We recently got a tablet that says you can activate it when you have no gold in your vault, to add 12 gold to your vault. Based on it's wording this table as well can be used during the first step of winter giving the player 12 extra gold to start. Which based on how the tablet is worded it feels like that is against the spirit of the tablets intentions in that it is meant to be a refill, not a starting game boost.

I am wondering if Tablets are only supposed to be activated on your turn or something and that there are no rules that clearly state that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danxor wrote:
I have been using this each game during the first step of Winter, so that I get the colonies gold harvest as well as the resource harvest that first winter.

I wouldn't let you do that. Obviously many of the rules in this game are not very precise, this seems to me to go beyond the intentions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This really depends on wording.

Without the exact wording here is how my group would have played them

For the colony one I would go with you can't use it until in winter when you are activating your other colonies with money, meaning you would not get the extra gold from the harvest but could get the "Colonies Collect" step for that one.

For the gold tablet. As long as you didn't take gold as a reward for any of the catch up mechanic which would happen before winter. Then you could use this. It really isn't difficult to spend gold to empty ones vault so I think the timing on this is less critical. However it feels too early to be able to do these before your turn.

Again I put a caveat that without the exact wording then this is just my best guess as I do not have the copy my group is playing. I think the spirit of the tables is to be done on your turn and not in winter. Similar to research cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Owen
msg tools
new user
The colony tablet specifies you can use it at any time all other tablets do not so we have been playing with all tablet except that one as only activate on your turn.

So yes you can play it before harvest first winter and harvest with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The activation card fairly clearly indicates "any time". I'm not sure what the intention was, but in the absence of a developer ruling otherwise, I'd say you're playing right. It's a (nominally) one-use (per game) item, right? So that means it's worth 8 gold instead of 6 gold -- not a spectacular difference.

By the way, at first I was thinking the answer should be no, because the first winter is part of setup, and therefore the game hadn['t started yet. But that's not the case; the first winter is clearly part of the first year of play, not setup.

As to the "flat-broke" tablet, I didn't re-read that one. Does it also say "any time", or is it "when your treasury is reduced to zero" or something like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Danxor wrote:
Activating tablets

I am wondering if Tablets are only supposed to be activated on your turn or something and that there are no rules that clearly state that.

We played that
Tablets are supposed to be played on your turn unless something says otherwise.
IE,
- the colony Tablet can be played during the 1st winter ("anytime"),
- the raiding/explore bonuses to strong successes have to be played "after a dice roll",
- and all the other are played during your turn (including the gold bonus).

We may have been wrong but the other bonuses (Fortune and Reputation tokens) are definitely a Refill, and as such may not be useful everygame (giving other the opportunity to steal it from you before you use it for example)
Since the Gold tablet is really similar we assumed it worked the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.