Eldritch Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: EH Ultra Short Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julian Baltuttis
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
This is an attempt to make a shorter version of Eldritch Horror. If I can reduce the playtime to roughly 2 hours, then maybe, just maybe my girlfriend will consider playing this with me. Feel free to test this yourself, make changes or tell me how stupid awesome this variant is.

Version 2. Currently being tested. Proceed with caution. The following is a jumble of mad ideas that may or may not work.

New Win Condition
You need to solve 2 mysteries to win the game. If the Doom track reaches 0, the Ancient One awakens as usual and will add a third mystery.

Additional Setup
During game setup draw 2 mysteries to be solved. Place one face-up as the active mystery and the second one face-down next to it. Place 2 Eldritch token on the face down mystery.
Whenever a reckoning occurs remove 1 Eldritch token from the face-down mystery.
If there are no more Eldritch tokens on the second mystery, reveal it, even if the first one hasn’t been solved yet. Players must now resolve both mysteries simultaneously.
If the first mystery is solved and the second mystery is still face-down, remove all Eldritch tokens and reveal the second mystery as usual.

Monster Panic

The maximum limit for monsters on the board is equal to the number of players.
Whenever an effect would place a monster that would exceed that limit, advance the doom track by one instead. If this happens during a monster surge, the doom track will only advance once.

Mythos Strike Two
During the Mythos Phase after the first Mythos card has been resolved, draw another Mythos card and resolve any Advance Omen, Spawn Gates and Monster Surge, ignoring everything else on the card. Do not spawn additional clues or resolve Reckoning effects.
Afterwards, discard the second Mythos card and end the Mythos phase.

Combating the Mythos
Players may use their combined Mythos knowledge to combat Mythos Effects. Whenever a second Mythos card is about to be drawn, players may spend an amount of Eldritch tokens equal to the number of investigators to move that card to the bottom of the Mythos deck. The card is not revealed and and no secondary effects are triggered.

Gaining Mythos Knowledge
Whenever a player closes a gate he may gain up to 2 Eldritch tokens.
Whenever a player defeats an epic monster in combat he may gain up to 2 Eldritch tokens.
Whenever a player successfully solves an expedition he may gain up to 2 Eldritch tokens.
After a player has resolved (=flipped) a Lost in Space and Time condition he may gain 1 Eldritch token.
Whenever a player defeats a monster he may gain 1 Eldritch token.

Mythos Research

An investigator may spend an Action to discard either 1 spell or 1 asset in order to gain 1 eldritch token.

Mythos Corruption
Gaining eldtrich tokens lowers maximum sanity. Investigators may never have more sanity and eldritch tokens combined than their maximum sanity as defined on their character sheets. When a player gains an eldritch token he may choose to lose sanity in order to fulfill this requirement.

Difficulty Adjustments

These rules are meant to counterbalance the increased rate at which the doom track advances.
1. All investigators have 3 actions per turn. They are still limited to 3 different actions per turn.
2. When a player is delayed, he must use his first 2 actions to stand his investigator token up. He is then no longer delayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
robertgibson wrote:
players may spend an amount of Eldritch tokens

In the rest of your text you refer to Mythos tokens, did you mean to use Mythos tokens here as well?

This is an interesting variant on changing the game pace and length a bit. I will add that after playing about 10 games I have gotten my game time down to about 2 hours for a 4 investigator game. That includes reading full text on card and imagining what happens to them based on die roll.

So if you want a 2 hour game, it is possible with the unmodified game, you just need to get the basics down so that they don't take too long. Reckoning on Mythos took me a year at first, but now its a piece of cake.

Mmmmm cake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Baltuttis
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mmmh, cake is good.
Yes, Mythos tokens are supposed to be Eldritch Tokens. Fixed the mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Hristov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
Sounds interesting, but what do you do with Syzygy and Rise of the elder things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Baltuttis
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
I'd say stick to solving 2 mysteries. Testing will tell whether this approach is a good solution.

To be honest my initial idea was to reduce the win condition to 1 mystery for all ancient ones. I am not sure if that wouldn't be too drastic of a change and possibly lead to unexciting games where your only task is to kill an epic monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[offtopic]When I saw the "EH Ultra Short Variant" title, I immediately thought "One Night Ultimate Eldritch".[/offtopic]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Roehrig
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weerax wrote:
Sounds interesting, but what do you do with Syzygy and Rise of the elder things?

I`d say, that you wont be able to make a short variant that can satisfy the needs of these "special rules" AOs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Baltuttis
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
While we're at it, let's do some more premature (=untested) thinking.
Here is a different approach to the secondary Mythos draw:

Mythos Strike Two (Revised)
During the Mythos Phase after the first Mythos card has been resolved, draw another Mythos card and resolve any Advance Omen, Spawn Gates and Monster Surge, ignoring everything else on the card. Do not spawn additional clues or resolve Reckoning effects.
If no effect has been triggered by the second Mythos Card, move that card to the bottom of the mythos deck.

Combating the Mythos (Revised)
Players may use their combined Mythos knowledge to combat Mythos Effects. Whenever a second Mythos card is drawn players may spend an amount of Eldritch tokens equal to the number of investigators to move that card to the bottom of the Mythos deck. In that case no secondary effects are triggered.

This would allow a bit more player agency without allowing players to deliberately cycle out difficult Mythos cards (e.g. Rumors with Tentacles). Rumors would automatically go to the bottom of the deck. Since the mythos deck expires faster (in theory) the bottom cards should re-appear faster too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Baltuttis
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
And I have one more for flavor, because why not?

Mythos Eating Away Your Sanity

Gaining eldtrich tokens lowers maximum sanity. Investigators may never have more sanity and eldritch tokens combined than their maximum sanity as defined on their character sheets. When a player gains an eldritch token he may choose to lose sanity in order to fulfill this requirement.

Obviously, this could cause all sorts of balancing issues. I do like this idea very much, though as it reminds me of how Sanity was handled in the original 80s pen n' paper RPG "Call of Cthulhu". Iirc your mythos knowledge would also subtract from your maximum sanity in that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Baltuttis
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
Here is a copy of version 1 of this variant. This way I can update my first post to show the newest rules.

Version 1. No testing so far. Proceed with caution. The following is just a jumble of ideas at this point.

New Win Condition
You need to solve 2 mysteries to win the game. If the Doom track reaches 0, the Ancient One awakens as usual and will add a third mystery to be solved.

Additional Setup

During game setup place the second mystery face down next to the first revealed mystery.
Place 2 Eldritch token on the face down mystery.
Whenever a reckoning occurs remove 1 Eldritch token from the face down mystery.
If there are no more Eldritch tokens on the face down mystery reveal it, even if the first one hasn’t been solved yet.
Players must now resolve both mysteries simultaneously.

Monster Panic
Whenever a monster is placed on a location that already has at least 2 monsters, advance the doom track. Place that monster in an adjacent space.

Mythos Strike Two

During the Mythos Phase after the first mythos card has been resolved, draw another Mythos card and resolve any Advance Omen, Spawn Gates and Monster Surge, ignoring everything else on the card. Do not spawn additional clues or resolve Reckoning effects.

Combating the Mythos

Players may use their combined Mythos knowledge to combat Mythos Effects. Whenever a second Mythos card is about to be drawn players may spend an amount of Eldritch tokens equal to the number of investigators to prevent that effect. In that case no second card is drawn and the Mythos phase ends as usual.

Gaining Mythos Knowledge
Whenever a player closes a gate he gains 2 Eldritch tokens.
Whenever a player defeats a monster in combat he gains 1 Eldritch token.
Whenever a player defeats an epic monster in combat he gains 2 Eldritch tokens.
Whenever a player successfully solves an expedition he gains 1 Eldritch token.

Mythos Research
An investigator may spend an Action to discard either 1 spell or 1 asset in order to gain 1 eldritch token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Baltuttis
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
We had our first play test playing with 3 investigators against Ithaqua.
We finished after about 1:45 hrs, winning the game with the doom track at 4. There were about five gates open, monsters everywhere and things were escalating quickly at that point.

Things worked out pretty well considering this was the first test run. Few things noted: Monster panic never occurred once, the Mythos deck wasn't running low on cards as I was expecting and the Sanity loss from gaining Mythos Knowledge forced us into taking rest actions quite often.

I will update the rules to version 2 with some new ideas and adjustments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the first hour of the game by yourself, then bring her in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.