Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Up until this point I've mostly stuck to fantasy type games: mage wars, arena of the planeswalkers, wiz-war, etc. My daughter and closest friends have no problem geeking out with me in my fantasy world, but I'm looking to expand my collection in ways that make it more friendly to the less nerdy like my wife, and some other friends. Some of the only non-fantasy games I have are forbidden island and desert, fluxx, and dixit.

I've been a big fan of Wil Wheaton's tabletop, so I'm not completely in the dark about some of the other games out there. I'm wondering what you personally would call the "essential euros". I'm thinking of games like pandemic, catan, and ticket to ride (am I even right in calling these euros? In my mind that's what I think they are haha). I don't have any of these, and I want to expand my collection to include the essentials. Do you think those 3 are good choices, or would you add or take away?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Those actually are fine choices. There really are dozens of reasonable ones for this role, but you have a good choice including trading and high interactivity, one which is cooperative, and one which is each player for him or her self. They also all seem to be well-liked by many who are not hard core into the hobby as well as being played by some who have been gaming for years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan is hit or miss, and very geoup-dependent. Pandemic, Ticket to Ride, Stone Age, and Carcassonne are all good intros to Euro-style games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Lords of Waterdeep. It's a solid Euro that's easy to learn and play, but it's cloaked in a fantasy setting. It may be a good bridge for you. If you want something totally out of the fantasy setting, Splendor is an excellent, stripped down engine builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age and Lords of Waterdeep are good introductions to Euros.

Ticket to Ride is usually popular with casual gamers; personally, I prefer Ticket to Ride: Europe because it has more interesting mechanics but isn't too complicated. Catan can be fun at first, but grows old after a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
El Grande I feel is the Euro equivalent of dipping your toes to test the water before you dive on in. A euro game with stream line and easy to understand rules and quick, fun game play. Hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith czop
msg tools
mbmb
If you want to go a little bit deeper, try 5 Tribes or Voyages of Marco Polo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would highly advise Ticket to Ride: Europe. It's a great "gateway", a great crowdpleaser, and still enjoyable after years of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themistoklis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
Avid Euro Gamer
badge
Novice Board Game Designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigris & Euphrates
Viticulture Essential Edition
Caylus
El Grande Big Box
Power Grid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
You want an introduction to Euros? Okay, load up Minesweeper on your computer. Done? Okay, now invite someone to sit beside you with a laptop and play their own version of Minesweeper. Boom! Done! You're welcome.

Or just buy the three best euro games: Keyflower, Concordia, and Suburbia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lanterns: The Harvest Festival
Takenoko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Valnor
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ticket to ride for sure

Splendor I would probably take out Catan in favor of this or Machi Koro.
The Castles of Burgundy another 'staple' or Puerto Rico Rules are fairly strait forward, not a whole lot of exceptions and small details to remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
United States
State of Mind
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Copycat has a bunch of mechanics in one game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyrium

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Istanbul

The Voyages of Marco Polo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello euros, this is Bryon. Bryon, this is Splendor, Ticket to Ride, Karuba, Between Two Cities, Sushi Go Party!, Imhotep, and Kingsburg. These are the euros in my collection getting the most playtime right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola - One of the best games of all time and the euro game.

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar - Has established itself as one of the most loved euro games.

The Castles of Burgundy - Easy to learn, hard to master, and an intro to the games by one of the genres most popular designers.

All 3 of them were 3 of the first games my wife and I decided to get after doing some online research. Perfect games to be introduced to euros, especially for newcomers (before Agricola, my wife and I had never played any modern board games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My essentials would be Castles of Burgundy (preferably with extra player boards, Concordia (preferably with expansions), and Orleans (preferably with expansions).

Want an extra one? Tzolkin.

You won't need the intro ones you can just jump to the good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel balik
Czech Republic
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
+1 :

Stone Age
Ticket to Ride
The Castles of Burgundy
The Voyages of Marco Polo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age
Alhambra
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Catan
Galaxy Trucker
Mechs vs. Minions
El Grande
Samurai

I have specifically picked a range of more "themeless" euros as well as ones that drip with theme. Not sure if purists would call mechs vs minions a euro, but it is a cooperative programming game and really fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.