Hide
5 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Question About Difficulty Level rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marina Freeman
msg tools
In my game group, Betrayal at House on the Hill is the highest difficulty we're really committed to. How does Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition compare in difficulty with that? I thought that with the app it might be a bit simpler? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marina1101 wrote:
In my game group, Betrayal at House on the Hill is the highest difficulty we're really committed to. How does Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition compare in difficulty with that? I thought that with the app it might be a bit simpler? Thanks.

I'm thinking by "difficulty" here, you are meaning the "complexity" of learning the game, right? (Both terms can work, but typically complexity/weight are used to describe the involvement with learning in the tabletop game space

As for the difficulty of learning, I would think that if your group can handle Betrayal, you'll have little difficulty picking up Mansions of Madness. As you said, the app handles a lot of the placement and pacing, and there's really a rather small set of base rules to learn.

We've found that with one person running the app, it's pretty easy to hand the rulebook and reference guides off to one or two other people for the moment-to-moment questions that come up during play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
marina1101 wrote:

Mansions is vastly longer and more fiddly. Betrayal has a lot more content with a tendency for all sorts of specific haunt rules that you won't know ahead of time and get to argue about during the game. So, it really depends on what you mean by difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marina1101 wrote:

Define difficultly.

From my point of view, you are asking if it's harder, but I'm not sure that's really what you are asking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maelstrom UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I found Mansions much 'easier' in terms of rules than Betrayal. The reference guide is great, and there aren't dozens of haunt-specific rules for people to get confused over!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.