15 Posts

Conan» Forums » General

Subject: Using alternate Heroes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lion Noir
msg tools
mb
We are not going to play using he sugested heroes for each scenario. But then we don't know how we should proceed to equip our heroes. What armor, wich weapon wich spells, ally etc.

Can't find any rules on that wich seems weird since they gave us so many cool heroes.

Lastly, are we supose to get a Kothian Archer Character sheet to pay him as a heroes? I didn't get one but the KS sterch goal says I sould have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malefacus wrote:
We are not going to play using he sugested heroes for each scenario. But then we don't know how we should proceed to equip our heroes. What armor, wich weapon wich spells, ally etc.

Can't find any rules on that wich seems weird since they gave us so many cool heroes.

Short answer: there are no rules for it - you have to make it up yourself. See threads 1667655 and 1652296 for a longer answer.

Malefacus wrote:
Lastly, are we supose to get a Kothian Archer Character sheet to pay him as a heroes? I didn't get one but the KS sterch goal says I sould have.

AFAIK, he only has a tile, which means he is an Ally (like Bêlit's Guards), not a hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
The archers are considered an ally and for that you use the overlord tile. Then you would use a hero with, I believe, the leadership ability.

Have you tried using a hero if it has the same colored dice for core actions or the same reserve gem number?

I sure someone will figure out a system soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lion Noir
msg tools
mb
Thank you. Hope the could make something more flexible. Weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
Spain
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont know if a game system can be more flexible than 'whatever floats your boat'...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lion Noir
msg tools
mb
mazmaz wrote:
I dont know if a game system can be more flexible than 'whatever floats your boat'...

Having so many cool heroes but not being able to use them the way you want because each scenario is design for specific heroes with specific gear, spells, skills is not what I call flexible. Flexible in this precise sense. Don't tell me their character sheets are flexible. I know that. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I think the major balance concerns that people have are somewhat overblown. You just have to be cognizant of certain things like whether have a powerful AoE attack will make it too strong for the heroes, etc. Example: don't use circular strike on the Hunting the Tigress scenario. After playing each of the scenarios a few times with the intended heroes (which is a LOT of fun already), you kind of get a grasp for what would be broken or fair.

Otherwise, I think switching around Shevatas for Tauros, etc should be alright. Fun is pretty much the main objective after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use your gamer intuition, we are intelligent capable adults right? Excercise some judgment, try it out, and most importantly report your results. Over time we as a community we will discover some "balanced" alternatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I substitute similar heroes and monsters (dice per action, armor, etc - abilities may differ). If a hero had minimal gear ( conan with a sword and leather armor), then I'd equip his similar replacement with the same gear.

Same with baddies. If you do this the game remains pretty balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lion Noir
msg tools
mb
455_PWR wrote:
I substitute similar heroes and monsters (dice per action, armor, etc - abilities may differ). If a hero had minimal gear ( conan with a sword and leather armor), then I'd equip his similar replacement with the same gear.

Same with baddies. If you do this the game remains pretty balanced.

This is pretty much what we will do. I feel terrible having to say to my group ''here are all those cool heroes but hey you can only play with these four''...

So we will improvise at the risk of making the game not balance less fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
The only real barrier to using alternate heroes in a scenario is skills; either the scenario really needs a skill present or a particular skill will break the scenario.

Other than that, go wild
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Dueñas
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I've played 6 times by now and NOT IN A SINGLE GAME people wanted to use the "recommended" heroes.

We just use the "starting equipment" from other scenarios. In the case of people like Olgerd or Zaporavo, we just take what we think fits best with the illustration.

It's not very good for the balance... but it's PERFECT for the immersion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
Also, to help with balance, you can design pieces of equipment on the empty cards.

An example is the Vanir Valkyrie, who is one hell of a hero. She's Red Sonja so that was to be expected, but this can be pretty hard to balance in a scenario if you decide to switch her in, unless she takes Conan's place.

She's stronger than Valeria, another ambidextrous warrior and kind of fills the same niche. So if i'd want to switch Valeria with her, i'd be looking to design a glaive that cannot be used for parrying, and giving her a regular dagger, meaning she'll initially be less efficient in defense than Valeria, but stronger on offense and skills.

The hardest aspect to balance are the spells for spellcasting heroes. We can guess that they should have 3 spells available, however the choice of these has to be kept in balance as well as theme. A priest of Mitra casting Set's aura wouldn't be very thematic.

But i agree, the absence of a tested and rugged system to use our stretch goals and add ons this is by far the biggest flaw of the kickstarter campaign.

It won't affect retail because you only get the heroes that scenario specifies, but until they produce the scenarios, we're stuck with trial and error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As some threads discussed point system won't help in this game, since too much can change with single skill on item. Put hero that ignores block into scenario where heroes are expected to be blocked all the time and suddenly it becomes cakewalk.

If developers designed the game from ground to have some SYSTEM of hero/monster exchanging they could balance towards it. For example monsters could have types (horde, big hitter, blocker) etc. and while confined withing that type they wouldn't vary to game breaking levels. Scenarios could then pre-define some of the monsters and say "put 1 horde monster type in 3rd river space, and 1 big hitter in 5th space. We suggest Hienas and Black Demon." It would work almost the same way as Descent...

Similar to that they could have made kind of hero "classes". Conan would be "Conan" class, while there could be also "Thief", "Warrior" etc. I guess Red Sonja would fit into "Conan" class Then they could list "use Conan, Thief and Support, we suggest blah blah". As characters would be build with certain guidelines for each class exchanging without confines of the class would probably be safe.

Obviously neither monster swapping nor hero swapping can be done now, since they weren't designed for that. Even if we assign types/classes it won't work, since the variable powers would be too big.

There's still question of starting equipment, spells and possibly items available in chests. This is so far from exchangeable that I cannot imagine easy system to work this out.Developers would probably need to come back to drawing board to redesign all of those...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that the gear makes or changes the game more than using different heroes. As stated earlier, I use whatever heroes I want (try to pick similar dice/action and abilities), but the suggested gear is always used no matter who is picked.

The other thing I've done is use the minis I want with the rule cards of the suggested characters. I commonly use the conan warlord mini with the core set conan card, or the belit princess with the core set belit card. I place their gear over their picture anyway, so it doesn't really change anything.

I haven't run into one issue yet... well, other than burning too many gems in a turn!

The only minis I haven't been able to use are the dragon and other larger/more powerful enemies. I remwmber that the book coming in wave 2 (for those who ordwred it) will use a majority of the remaining minis, and have the blood rage crossover mission. That book should solve all the issues folks have, well, unless you didn't order the book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.