26% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Ned Leffingwell
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw The Lord of the Rings: Journey to Mordor listed on Amazon. They are showing the list price as $29.95 and the Amazon price is $16.27. I find this to be a bunch of malarky as Fantasy Flight Games lists the MSRP of the game as $12.95. This isn't the first time I have seen Amazon list stuff above its MSRP.

How are they able to do that? Is there a reason that I don't know about? Just curious.

Ned

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
They probably sell a million things? more?

They're not going to get it right every time.

I don't know they might even rely on third parties to enter a lot of item information. They certainly end up with multiple listings for the same product all the time.

You're right it happens a lot, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon David
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are doing fullfillment for 2 other companies selling for that same price. I wonder if the price is too low for their standard markup or they are unable to acquire enough to be able to sell it for msrp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
how ? mistakes can be made.

every item on amazon had a Report incorrect product information button listed under the price...

do your civic duty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Zhou
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
It seems whenever a game is out of print or running low in stock, the price goes much higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True
United States
Seaside
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I am sure there is a button.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
You understand what MSRP stands for right? Manufacturer's suggested retail price? Doesn't mean someone can't charge more or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Grant Green - Am I Blue? // Tina Brooks - True Blue // Buddy Guy - Damn Right, I've Got The Blues // Harold Land - West Coast Blues! // Sam McClain - Blues for the Soul // Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
You understand what MSRP stands for right? Manufacturer's suggested retail price? Doesn't mean someone can't charge more or less.

I wanted to subtly emphasize the keyword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Hillean wrote:

You forgot the < blink > tag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I suspect there is some money laundering going on when 3rd party sellers list items for hundreds of dollars above retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy W
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was an article recently, I think in the NY Times, about how "MSRP" is almost completely fictional now with resellers. You see "49%" discount, you click and buy. Since they run their shops with software and don't actually keep anything in stock, there's little downside to acting like this, especially with long-tail items like boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danithaca wrote:
It seems whenever a game is out of print or running low in stock, the price goes much higher.

It's almost like prices are set by the interaction of supply and demand. Crazy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurie V
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
TedW wrote:
danithaca wrote:

It's almost like prices are set by the interaction of supply and demand. Crazy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
They probably sell a million things? more?

They're not going to get it right every time.

I don't know they might even rely on third parties to enter a lot of item information. They certainly end up with multiple listings for the same product all the time.

You're right it happens a lot, though.
Right, the same reason they sometimes sell it for a lot less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmb
Of course amazon can sell it for whatever they want. I thought the question is why does the list price not match MSRP (they are synonymous). MSRP theoretically isn't variable by vendor, and it seems mildly deceptive to show it incorrectly, as it gives the impression a steeper discount is being offered.

Possibly list price changed, and Amazon hasn't updated. Or it was looked up (manually or automatically) and the lookup was wrong. Or someone made it up. Or did it on purpose for the above effect.

I've found inaccuracies on Amazon items before - not had much luck getting them fixed. There is a form somewhere. Do you mean "how" they can do it? It's their site. They do what they want. If you mean whether it is OK or "allowable" for them to do that, well, there may technically be a law or standard they are violating (assuming it is actually inaccurate, and not legitimate based on some extra data we are not aware of) but it seems a small defect that nobody is really going to care about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Hillean wrote:

OP isn't asking, as far as I can tell, why Amazon can sell above or below MSRP. OP is asking, why Amazon list price doesn't match MSRP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Schrempp
United States
Atascadero
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nedpatrick wrote:
I just saw The Lord of the Rings: Journey to Mordor listed on Amazon. They are showing the list price as $29.95 and the Amazon price is $16.27. I find this to be a bunch of malarky as Fantasy Flight Games lists the MSRP of the game as $12.95. This isn't the first time I have seen Amazon list stuff above its MSRP.

How are they able to do that? Is there a reason that I don't know about? Just curious.

Ned

MSRP is what the vendor suggests you sell it for.
List price is what you have it listed at in your store.

Go into a brick and mortar store and you will find the list price on hard to get items is above MSRP. Same thing here. If there is a large demand and a small supply, raise the list price.

The reverse is also true. There are many stores where "everything" is always on sale. It happens most often in clothing stores. If you have ever been in a Structures or Express, everything is always "on sale". It gives you the feeling that you are getting a deal. List price for the shirt is $40, on sale for $30, 25% off. What a deal, unless you realize it is never at full price. It is social engineering game to get people to buy more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bschremp wrote:

MSRP is what the vendor suggests you sell it for.
List price is what you have it listed at in your store.

This does not correlate with Wikipedia, which claims MSRP and List are the same thing. I believe Amazon uses List Price to mean MSRP, because they show two prices, one "List Price" (29.95) and another "Price" (16.95).

Does 12.95 MSRP sound extremely cheap to anyone else? It does to me. I believe OP has assumed that because FFG website is selling this game for 12.95, that that is the MSRP. However I think its much more likely that MSRP is actually 29.95, and both FFG and Amazon are selling below MSRP (who doesn't, TBH?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If FFG list $12.95 on the product page, that IS the recommended price. FFG don't undercut the stores - at least they're not that scummy yet. It would be a different thing if the product page said $29.95 and they had it at $12.95 in the current sale, but I think it's always been $12.95.

It's a fairly small game, not the bucket of tokens you find in some of their other products.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BGG itself lists msrp as 29.xx but it may have skimmed that data from Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.