Popular Tags: [View All]
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Portuguese edition, the rules for the icon representing "A Castaway" card (in the first adventure) instructs the player to take it and apply its effect immediately. I wonder if it's a translation error, because the effect is simply to flip the card over to the "Leam the Castaway" side and add it to the end of the row. Since all other cards go straight to the end of the row, this seems a totally unnecessary exception. Why not have just the "Leam" side and treat the card like any other? Maybe the other side is there just for theme or because the other special cards also have two sides?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wack
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have the French version.

In both "The Spiky Cliffs" and "The Stormy Meadows", the player is instructed to put the Castaway card at the back of his deck with the Leam side face up (when landing on the corresponding square of course).

So this seems consistent with your edition. However, the two adventures have a different icon (one representing the Castaway side of the card, the other one representing Leam), which seemed odd if the intended behaviour was the same. So I ruled that in the first adventure, I had to place the card with the Castaway side up at the end on my deck, while in the second I could directly place Leam side up.

I think it makes sense not only iconically but also thematically: when you first encounter Leam he just got washed away by the sea and needs to rest before he can help you; but in the next adventure you know him and he's already rested, so he's more readily available.

Could anyone compare with the German edition ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quinarbre wrote:
I think it makes sense not only iconically but also thematically: when you first encounter Leam he just got washed away by the sea and needs to rest before he can help you; but in the next adventure you know him and he's already rested, so he's more readily available.

Yes, the thematic explanation occurred to me. I just don't understand why not place the card straight at the end of the row with "A Castaway" side up in the first adventure, instead of creating an exception to the rules. It's not like it would terribly unbalance the adventure, considering that the rulebook suggests playing without one or both ally cards if you find the game too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.