Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
*The Run Down
The final hero for my custom expansions is Sting. A hero inspired by Marvel's Wasp and DC's Bumblebee. A small hero who flies and shoots energy blasts that harms evildoers. I always felt these heroines were nothing impressive, but after talking with my wife, I was inspired to bring my own variation of this kind of hero to SotM, but make her more what she should be. A harasser, instead of a hero trying to be on par with Ant-Man and Iron Man. This hero does mild damage with a focus on being more of a kind of support hero/controller for the field.

*Bio
Andrea King, CIA Operative, Spy, Saboteur. These are some of the titles she has had over her career in the government. With her many accomplishments, she was a natural choice to test out the governments newest weapon. The S.T.IN.G black ops suit. A suit created to make the wearer the ultimate weapon for the government to bring down it's enemies. Andrea was a natural with it, learning to fly, fight, and with a thoughtful input, even helped to improve on the design. One night, there was an intruder into the facility while Andrea was training. She was put into action to stop the intruder. She was successful, but as he was brought down, he triggered a bomb that destroyed the facility. Watching in horror as the people she had worked with for months on the project vanish from this world.

Weeks later, Andrea walked into the office of her superior who sat with a woman and what could only be described as a ghost. "Hello Sting" said the woman. She had been assigned to this woman's new group. The Enforcers. A government controlled group of heroes who's job it was to protect America from the villains and monsters that have been appearing. Andrea was given a new place to make a difference and find a new purpose.

Hero: Sting
HP: 20
Base Power: Pew Pew
-Sting deals 2 targets 1 energy damage each

Incapacitated:
-The next time a villain target would deal damage, redirect it to the hero target with the highest HP
-A non-hero target deals another target 2 melee damage
-Reveal the top card of the villain deck, then replace it

Equipment, Limited (Qty:10)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tactical Infiltration Gear (Qty:3)
-The first time in a turn Sting would be dealt damage, you may reveal the top card of your deck. If it is a one-shot, discard that card and prevent the damage. Otherwise put it on the bottom of your deck.
-At the end of your turn, draw a card

Nerve Burners (Qty:3)
-Increase Sting's energy damage by 1
-Power: Sting deals a target 1 energy damage.

Comm System (Qty:2)
-When Sting deals damage to a target, another player may discard a card to deal 2 melee damage to that target

Weakness Detector (Qty:2)
-The first time in a turn when a villain target is destroyed, Sting deals the villain character 1 energy damage.
-When an environment target is dealt damage by a hero the first time in a turn, Sting deals that target 1 energy damage.

One-Shot (Qty:20)

In The Eye (Qty:4)
-Sting deals a target 2 irreducible energy damage. The next time that target would deal damage, decrease it by 1.

Neural Overload (Qty:3)
-Sting deals a target 2 energy damage
-If the target is a non-character and at 3HP or less, destroy it.
-If the target is a character, you may discard the top card of that deck

Sweet Spot (Qty:4)
-Sting deals a target 1 energy damage and another hero may use a power. If that power damages the same target Sting targeted, that damage is irreducible

Sabotage (Qty:3)
-Reveal the top 2 cards of another deck. Put one on the bottom of the deck and the other on the top of the deck

Assessing Options (Qty:4)
-Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Put one into your hand, one on the bottom of your deck, and one on top of your deck.

Set to Stun (Qty:3)
-Put a non-hero target on top of it's deck

Ongoing, Limited (Qty:5)
Rain of Pain (Qty:2)
-At the start of your turn you may discard any amount of cards and then Sting deals a target X energy damage, where X= amount of cards discarded this way
-Power: Play a one-shot. You may destroy this at the end of you turn. If you do, draw 2 cards.

Poke, Poke, Poke (Qty:3)
-Play on a non-character target
-At the start of your turn, Sting deals the card below this 1 energy damage.
-When the target would deal damage to a target other than Sting for the first time in a turn, redirect that damage to Sting and reduce it by 1.
-Power: Sting deals the target below this card 2 Energy damage. Destroy this card.

Ongoing (Qty:4)
Buzz By (Qty:4)
-Play next to a target
-Sting deals that target 1 sonic damage
-The next time the target next to this card would deal 3 or less damage, redirect that damage to another target and then destroy this card.

Any recommendations and suggestions would be appreciated. This is the fifth of the custom decks in the Reaction Expansion and the final hero of the series.

(Edit Notes)
-Fixed wording on base power.
-Changed drawing ability on Tactical Infiltration gear from start to end of turn.
-Limited Weakness Detector's trigger to once a turn
-Added a power to Nerve Burners
-Added power to Poke, Poke, Poke
-Reduced quantity of Rain of Pain by 1
-Increased quantity of Assessing Options by 1
-Adjusted Power on Nerve Burners
-Changed ability of Sweet Spot
-Reworked Buzz By
-Changed Power of Rain of Pain
-Reworked Poke, Poke, Poke
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Pew Pew: add each to the end (standard wording)

Tactical Infiltration:
1. Drawing at the Start of your turn creates decisions about what to play at the start of your turn. Drawing at the end of turn (or drawing an additional card during your draw phase) moves that decision making time to between your turns, which is a better place for it most of the time.
2. With 24 one-shots this has over 50% chance of preventing damage. This card is crazy powerful as is.
3. This is the only extra card draw in her deck, and with Rain of Pain, extra card draw is damage. This card is incredibly important to both staying alive, most games cutting her damage taken in half, and is the best way to build up for a big shot of damage.

Weakness Detector:
The damage being every time a target is destroyed makes this card really strong against The Matriarch, while it is only one deck it really crushes, I'd consider making it trigger the first time each turn a target is destroyed.

She has only one non-innate power, and that one destroys the card it is on. That makes her heavily based on her innate. With only one card that modifies her innate power (Nerve Burners) and the damage having to be dealt to exactly 2 targets she could use some other options.

I like the character and most of the deck, I think you have something good here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for the input phantaskippy. I made some tweaks to the deck thanks to your input. Going to go over the deck today some more to see if there are anything else I can see that needs to be tweaked or if any ideas pop up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Welhouse
msg tools
I really like how the mechanics show the character's flavor. Nothing jumped out as needing to be changed, but if I were playing Sting it would be a happy surprise to have a Power/One-Shot that had a little more card-draw power than Assessing Options.

There's an argument to be made that it's her teammates' job to give her cards, but 3 Rain of Pains make it seem like she'll be doing a lot of discarding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Thank You Nekobasu. I did use your comment to adjust the quantity of the deck to give just a little more draw in the deck without an over reliance on Rain of Pain. I am glad to see some people actually like this deck. I will be playtesting this, along with the other hero decks, throughout December and will update each page with what I have found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Cool little hero, none of her powers do massive damage by themselves, but seems like a good supporter, chipping away at the baddies to support her team, reminiscent of Vanish, a very good thing!

Jaggid88 wrote:
Nerve Burners (Qty:3)
-Increase Sting's energy damage by 1
-Power: Sting deals a target 0 energy damage. You may play a card. Destroy this card.

Not quite sure what the power is doing here - I can trade the Burners in to refund the play, if not the card. That would seem good if the Burners were situational things I might want for a while and not need later, but they're pretty key equipment given all the energy damage she does, I can't see ever really trading this in.

I assume you added a power to Skippy's point, maybe something cleaner like Power: Sting deals a target 2 energy damage? Gives an option that is sometimes better than Pew Pew, sometimes not.

Jaggid88 wrote:
Weakness Detector (Qty:2)
-The first time in a turn when a villain target is destroyed, Sting deals the villain character 1 energy damage.
-When an environment target is dealt damage by a hero the first time in a turn, Sting deals that target 1 energy damage.

Don't know why, but it annoys me on some visceral level that the triggers are kind of similar but also kind of different - one triggers when a target is destroyed, another when a different kind of target is dealt damage. Not sure this is a major problem but something to be aware of.

Jaggid88 wrote:
Sweet Spot (Qty:4)
-Sting deals a target 2 energy damage.
-The next time that target would be dealt damage, increase it by 1

Increasing the next damage seems cool on paper, but the gameplay isn't very exciting, there is no way to optimize it in particular other than "hit this guy again at some point in the future", which you are bound to do anyway, so it's baaaaaasically deal 3 damage with a bit of extra memory work in the meantime.

Off the top of my head, it could be something like dealing 2 (1?) irreducible damage, next damage to that target as irreducible, which makes it more situational and a better play sometimes, not others.

Alternately alternately to keep the supportyness, maybe "Sting deals a target 1 energy damage and another hero may use a power. If that power damages the same target Sting targeted, that damage is irreducible."

Jaggid88 wrote:
Buzz By (Qty:4)
-Sting deals a target 1 sonic damage. The next time that target would deal damage, prevent that damage and that target deals Sting 2 melee damage.

In The Eye (Qty:4)
-Sting deals a target 2 irreducible energy damage. The next time that target would deal damage, decrease it by 1.

These cards are fairly similar, the big difference being the way which they reduce damage, but I'm not sure I really like way Buzz by does it - it seems like it could lead to feel-bad moments. The villain damage output is pretty unreliable - you might stop something that might have been 1 damage anyway, or you stop 10 damage. If the damage was reliable you might play this at a good time and feel clever, but since the damage output is generally out of your control you're just rolling the dice.

Staying constructive maybe an ongoing with "Play this by a target, Sting deals that target 1 sonic damage. The next time that targets deals 2(3?) or less damage, redirect that damage to another target and destroy this card.

Jaggid88 wrote:
Neural Overload (Qty:3)
-Sting deals a target 2 energy damage
-If the target is a non-character and at 3HP or less, destroy it.
-If the target is a character, you may discard the top card of that deck

Simple but cool, I particularly like this one! This isn't to say I don't like the other cards, of course but this is a clean, interesting one-shot that has a niche and you feel clever for playing at the right time.

Jaggid88 wrote:
Rain of Pain (Qty:2)
-At the start of your turn you may discard any amount of cards and then Sting deals a target X energy damage, where X= amount of cards discarded this way
-Power: Play a card. Destroy this card

Interesting in isolation, but not much in the deck really seems to work with it, she doesn't have any particular way to get a hand full of cards, and without Nerve Burners it's a pretty bad exchange rate for cards. Maybe if the Power was "Draw 3 cards, destroy this card" it might be smoother - you can discard a bunch of junk to this at the start of your turn then blow it up and get cards back? Jaunting Reflex on Vanish is a good example of this, it lets you burn cards for effects, then you destroy it to get a new hand.
Alternately alternately as she has a deck stuffed with cool but not outrageously powerful one-shots, maybe Power: Play a one shot. You may destroy this at the end of you turn if you do, draw 2 cards.

Jaggid88 wrote:
Poke, Poke, Poke (Qty:3)
-Play on a target
-Sting can only target the card below this
-At the start of your turn, Sting deals the card below this 1 energy damage.
-When the target would deal damage to a target other than Sting for the first time in a turn, reduce it by 1.
-Power: Destroy this card.

There's a cool card somewhere here, but I'm not sure the execution quite does it for me... Sting fixates on a target, she deals it a bit of damage every turn, she can only target it (I think it would be cannot deal damage to other targets? Not sure "targetting a card" is a thing in Sentinels-speak), and it deals marginally less damage. It seems like it'd mostly play as a slightly powered down Impale that restricts your target selection.

These kinds of target-neutering effects are tricky to design well, if you make the effect to weak it barely matters (like -1 damage ONCE per turn and only IF it tries to hit someone else) but if you make it too strong (Throat Jab) then it can shut down the villain entirely. I'd suggest bumping up the strength of the power (Maybe all damage is redirected to Sting, but reduced by 1 or 2 depending on balancing?) BUT to stop it permanantly locking down your Iron Legacy/Spite/Plague Rat make it EITHER destroy this at start of turn so it's a good but one off trick OR make it so it can't be played on characters, so it can neutralize big targets like T-rex, Citizen Hammer, Gladiators and such but will never castrate the boss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Adelphophage, really helpful feedback. Thank you. I utilized several of your suggestions and incorporated them into the deck and others I used to help me rework some of the cards so they felt a bit better such as Poke, Poke, Poke. Sting feels quite a bit better now. Any other ideas, please do post. I look forward to playtesting her now as she no longer seems meh to me anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.