Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan McGuire
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spymaster: me
The one other person with me on the Blue team is the 13 yo son of one of the Red team members.

Blue: 9 to go. Clue: Tennis 2, cluing Racket and Net. Teammate guesses Dog, because dogs play with tennis balls. That's Red.

Red: 7 to go. Some clue for 2. They get them.

Blue: Still 9 to go. Clue: Mammal 2, hoping for Horse and Bear. Mammoth was also available as an innocent bystander. Also Leprechaun was available as one of ours. I'm just hoping my teammate will pick at least of our words before picking Mammoth. Nope. Mammoth - innocent bystander. I took a chance and lost.

Red: 5 to go. A clue for 2 they get them.

Blue: 9 to go. Some clue for 2. Teammate guesses the two correct words plus Racket (from Tennis).

Red: 3 to go: They see that we still have 6, so they start playing it a little safe. Some clue for 1. They get it.

Blue: 6 to go. Clue: Archeology 2, cluing Hole and Aztecs. Teammate gets Hole plus a random innocent bystander.

Red: 2 to go: The other Spymaster sees that we still 5 to go and figures they'll get one more turn and so cruises along with some clue for 1. They get it.

Blue: 5 to go and the Red team has only 1. I still have to get my teammate to guess Stock, Leprechaun, Microscope, Net (from Tennis) and Aztec (from Archeology). BUT... I don't know whether he thinks the last Archeology word is Microscope or Aztecs. The only clue I can come up with that ties together Stock, Leprechaun and either Aztec or Microscope is "Money". Stocks are worth money, Leprechauns have a pot of gold. Aztecs had a lot of gold. My only hope is that he decides that Microscope goes with Archeology from a general sciency standpoint, and therefore Aztecs go with money. So... Money - 5. As you might guess from the title of this post, it worked out perfectly: Net, Microscope, Stocks, Leprechaun, Aztecs. Boom... mic drop. Oh yes... that just happened.

(On a side note, Death was the Assassin word.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Well done.

Now, I hate to be 'that guy', but that last play was actually illegal, since money only referred to 3 of the items. You could have done 'Money - infinity', but if you give a number, it has to relate to that number of cards.

... but you on you that you synched up at the last moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kløve wrote:

Now, I hate to be 'that guy', but that last play was actually illegal, since money only referred to 3 of the items. You could have done 'Money - infinity', but if you give a number, it has to relate to that number of cards.

Doesn't say so in the rules. It says you may use "unlimited" if you wish so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
Kløve wrote:

If you use a number, the clue has to relate to that number of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I disagree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Christian is correct. You cannot say "MONEY 5" unless you can actually link 5 words to money.

This is what the Unlimited rule is for. To allow a team to catch up and go back on old clues that they missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McGuire
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand correctly, that rule is in place so that the number doesn't become part of the clue. Bush 43, Motel 6, Oceans 11, Fahrenheit 451.

There was enough table talk from the non-Spymasters that everyone knew that any clue I gave was going to be for three new words plus one for Tennis and one for Archeology, so the number I said on that turn made no difference. Everyone knew I meant, "Money - whatever number I have to say to give my teammate five guesses." Besides, if push comes to shove, I could make the argument that in some twisted way Microscope and Net both relate to Money as well.

If the other team wants to retroactively take our victory now two days later on that technicality, that's fine -- we'll still know we were better than them. ...that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also say "Money 4" - that would allow your team 5 guesses

And yeah, as long as you can link the word IN ANY WAY, its ok, no matter how tenuous.

The rule is there to stop people falsely inflating the number to allow their team more guesses - which is why the unlimited rule was introduced.

Microscopes - you buy them with money
Net - is a film with Sandra Bullock. Films cost a lot of money to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Johnson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Net Profit, Net Loss, Net Worth, there's plenty of Money links for Net. Microscope is more of a stretch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Bauer
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My savings accounts benefits are microscopic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
Kløve wrote:

From the rules under Giving a Clue:
Quote:
You also say one number, which tells your teammates how many codenames are related to your clue.

In your example you said Money 5. If I was playing, since there were 5 left, I would disregard any clues I could not relate to money even if I could relate them to a previous clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MunchWolf wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
Kløve wrote:

Quote:
You also say one number, which tells your teammates how many codenames are related to your clue.

In your example you said Money 5. If I was playing, since there were 5 left, I would disregard any clues I could not relate to money even if I could relate them to a previous clue.

It is the last turn. There are 5 words left to guess. So he should have said unlimited instead of 5. That's your point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
It is the last turn. There are 5 words left to guess. So he should have said unlimited instead of 5. That's your point?

My point:
Kløve wrote:
if you give a number, it has to relate to that number of cards.

tilouboy wrote:
Doesn't say so in the rules.

MunchWolf wrote:

Quote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yit Ng
Malaysia
kuala lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cmon, who's gonna go back and check when the game is over?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yitjuan wrote:
Cmon, who's gonna go back and check when the game is over?

Go back and check what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.