$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
39.6% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Dead Panic» Forums » General

Subject: Questions for those of you who have played solo and/or pure co-op.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I know the box says from 2-6 players and the designer did not intend solo play, but I also have read on these forums about people successfully doing it anyway and/or playing a pure co-op version where dead characters do not turn into zombies (actually according to the "No time for Grief" optional "more panic" variant I saw in the rulebook online it looks like the option of shooting a character in the head to prevent him from turning into a zombie is an official rule) and was wondering how people dealt with character death in the game:
-Do you play that you lose if any character dies?
-Do you use some sort of A.I. to control the character who has turned into a zombie? If so how do you do this?
-Do you just keep playing on with the remainder of the survivors and play that if anyone escapes in the van you all win?

Also, if you play with multiple characters how many do you find work well for game balance without being too hard to control?

Thanks everyone and have a great day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 6 times. All with 2 characters in the game, and all as a pure co-op (if anyone dies, we all immediately lose).

Two plays were solo controlling 2 heroes. Generally I don't enjoy doing this in games, because I prefer to immerse myself in the world as a single avatar. Mechanically, in this game controlling multiple characters is pretty easy. Each character just has one simple special ability, and a small handful of cards. If I enjoyed playing multiple hands, I would have no trouble running at least 4 characters.

One of my 6 games was played with a massive rules error, and another had a non-trivial rules mistake. Excluding those, I have won 3 times and lost once. One win was easy, and two were narrow.

I suspect (could be wrong) that death might be more common at higher player counts. That might mean that at some point the "any death means instant loss" rule might make the game too hard to win. But from my small sample size, it seems to work fine at least with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.